Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 10:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I was in Chikmagalur last May and the rains started at that time. I had never seen that kind of rains in all my life. Is it prudent to travel in this part during early June ?
Yep it rains in inches during that period in chikmagalur.

My route suggestion to you is as mentioned below.

Chennai-Krishnagairi-Hosur-Bangalore NICE Road (@ Electronic city)- Tumkur Road (Nelmangala) - Tumkur - Tiptur-Shimoga (halt - Hotel Jewel Rock) - Approx 600kms
This route is fantastic all the way till Shimoga

Shimoga - Sagara- Jog - Honnavar-Karwar-Goa ( almost 350 kms to North Goa).

Return
Goa - Amboli Ghats (It's lovely during monsoon) - Belgaum - Hubli - Davangere (if possible halt) - Tumkur - Bangalore - Chennai.

if you want to visit MLR
All the routes (Shiradi, Charmadi, Agumbe ghats) are in good condtion as of now, except for Sampaje ghats, where work is in progress.
But will deteriorate once monsoon starts.
Old 26th March 2010, 11:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the route what Sushrutha has put down.

Monsoon normally hits the west around mid of June and at time early. the roads should be in a decent shape for a month or two after the monsoon...however if you are looking at 5days then via this route might be a challenge...
Old 26th March 2010, 11:47   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Friends (specially to Ampere and MX6). It is a big help. All your help is really - really much appreciated.

Actually it is so confusing to plan the itinerary and the places to see on the way. I have downloaded a big Google Map.

The trouble is I am a bad navigator - I can get lost in my own backyard.
You are welcome prowler. Any further inputs feel free to ask. And regarding getting lost in your own backyard, have a look at my signature!

@Susrutha: Agumbe ghats were in the pink of their health. Drove there on the 21st of March! They've patched every pothole there.
And guess what? I saw big lorries using the Agumbe ghats now! Thought that my eyes were playing pranks. But it's true. Seemed that at parts teh ghat roads are widened. Didn't notice this on 30th Dec last year when I drove as it rained buckets.

And all others who are worried about buckets of water during that period, don't worry. You are not the only person on those roads during the rains. It's fun to drive in the rain (as long as you are not driving a convertible with the top down). Ensure your cars are rainworthy before setting out.

Last edited by MX6 : 26th March 2010 at 12:04.
Old 27th March 2010, 10:36   #19
BHPian

Thanks again MX6 and sushrutha, lohithrao and J.Ravi.

Rains are a problem for someone from Madras - as Madras is almost bone dry throughout the year

Now that the route is decided, other issues will need attention - like Stay. As sushrutha suggested Jewel Rock in Shimoga should be good. Last time I stayed in Hotel Jewel Rock in Hassan.

Thanks again
Old 28th March 2010, 23:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Chennai-Krishnagairi-Hosur-Bangalore NICE Road (@ Electronic city)- Tumkur Road (Nelmangala) - Tumkur - Tiptur-Shimoga (halt - Hotel Jewel Rock) - Approx 600kms
This route is fantastic all the way till Shimoga

Shimoga - Sagara- Jog - Honnavar-Karwar-Goa ( almost 350 kms to North Goa).
I plan to take this route around April 20 and stop over at Jog.
2 questions:
Can at least a trickle be expected at Jog Falls then?
How is the KSTDC hotel at Jog for a night halt for a family with teenagers?
Old 28th March 2010, 23:26   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by citron View Post
2 questions:
There should be. two of the waterfalls had some decent amount of water last weekend when I was there. I was damn surprised.
So there should be atleast a trickle in another 20 days. And in case there are some unseasonal showers (Pune had 3 - 4 some days back), it can sustain the trickle.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:00   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@Susrutha: Agumbe ghats were in the pink of their health. Drove there on the 21st of March! They've patched every pothole there.
And guess what? I saw big lorries using the Agumbe ghats now! Thought that my eyes were playing pranks. But it's true. Seemed that at parts teh ghat roads are widened. Didn't notice this on 30th Dec last year when I drove as it rained buckets.
Yep they have upgraded the road now. Shimoga- theerthally road has also been repaired well.

Quote:
- like Stay. As sushrutha suggested Jewel Rock in Shimoga should be good. Last time I stayed in Hotel Jewel Rock in Hassan.
Make sure you book this hotel well in advance, AFAIK all most all the weekends this hotel will be full.

Quote:
2 questions:
Yep,
As MX6 mentioned, there will be waterflow, but quite less.
I don't think there are any good hotel/lodges to stay in JOG. Better avoid staying @ JOG.
You can stay at Hotel Varadashree at Sagara, a decent hotel.
Old 30th March 2010, 00:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:

Yep,
As MX6 mentioned, there will be waterflow, but quite less.
I don't think there are any good hotel/lodges to stay in JOG. Better avoid staying @ JOG.
Quote:
There should be. two of the waterfalls had some decent amount of water last weekend when I was there. I was damn surprised.
So there should be atleast a trickle in another 20 days. And in case there are some unseasonal showers (Pune had 3 - 4 some days back), it can sustain the trickle.
Thanks so much for the information and suggestion,Sushrutha and MX6,
I hope there are some unseasonal showers and more than just a trickle at Jog in abt 20 days!
Old 30th March 2010, 09:44   #24
J.Ravi

Quote:
The quality of food available and staying options at Jog Falls are not good. I suggest staying at Shimoga and visit here early morning to escape the heat with some packed food/adequate drinking water. The distance is 100 km.

If time permits, you can climb down and up the valley. I did this trekking adventure in 2003. The steps were there, but missing at several stretches. I do not know the present status. While going down is comparatively easy, climbing up is very strenuous. One should be physically fit to do this. The steps start in front of the guest house from the view point.

Old 2nd April 2010, 18:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
The quality of food available and staying options at Jog Falls are not good. I suggest staying at Shimoga and visit here early morning to escape the heat with some packed food/adequate drinking water. The distance is 100 km.

If time permits, you can climb down and up the valley. I did this trekking adventure in 2003. The steps were there, but missing at several stretches. I do not know the present status. While going down is comparatively easy, climbing up is very strenuous. One should be physically fit to do this. The steps start in front of the guest house from the view point.
J.Ravi - Thanks for the suggestions.I plan to take a chance with the KSTDC hotel at Jog falls to be able to do the trek early in the morning and to be in Panjim before dark in the evening.More than the quality of food and the rooms,I am concerned about the 'nuisance' factor.I hope that the KSTDC hotel at Jog falls is not a favorite haunt for weekend parties!
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:30   #26
BHPian

Quote:
+ 1 to Addyhemmige.

Take the shimoga route from hassan. You can cross Jog in it's full glory.
Rains are a different feel too. you'd see too many waterfalls in the route there from Hassan - chikkamagaluru - shimoga - sagara - jog - honnavara. In case you want to keep to the hills, proceed from jog to sirsi - yellapura and hit NH63 to ankola - karwar and goa. You'd be surprised at the number of waterfalls you see.
I went to jog last weekend. Saw two waterfalls at this time of the year!
Dear MX6,

I'm planning to hit Jog falls from Hyd, not sure when would be the best time to see the falls and how are the roads if i plan either from Panjim to Jog or either way viz. Hyd-Jog-Karwar-Goa.

Thanks
Old 7th April 2010, 23:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Skipping the hotels in Shimoga, Sagara and Jog,how good are the hotels in Gokarna?Any suggestions?

Quote:
I heard that Jog falls is on tap during summers - the gates of the reservoir upstream are opened during weekends to attract more visitors
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:01   #28
BHPian

Re: Chennai to Goa - Via Mangalore on the Coastal Road

Folks, I want to take the coastal route. Chennai - Goa via Mangalore, Udippi. Has anyone done this recently? How's the road?

Also, this will be my first proper drive through Karnataka, so any advice on places to see, attraction will be very helpful.
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:53   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979 View Post
Folks, I want to take the coastal route. Chennai - Goa via Mangalore, Udippi. Has anyone done this recently? How's the road?

Also, this will be my first proper drive through Karnataka, so any advice on places to see, attraction will be very helpful.

If you want to experience the coastal route, instead of Mangalore you can
do : Chennai-Bangalore-Tumkur-Shimoga-Honnavar-Ankola-Karwar-Goa.
Mangalore option would be quite a roundabout.

The suggested option gives ample opportunities of coastal drive and as well as drive through western ghats.
You can stop at Jog falls as well on the way.

Route : link
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:15   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can stop at Jog falls as well on the way.
Its 6 months away from the last monsoon, I doubt there's gonna be anything worth at Jog.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks