Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2010, 19:03   #1

Del-Manali-Leh-Srinagar-Del on a Roadking'89

Hey folks,
I have been considering exploring the ladakh region for a while now. It does seem that i will be able to do it this year. I intend to do this on my '89 Raodking. Any advice, suggestions, help would be greatly appreciated. Also I have heard of only one person who has done this route on a roadking before as part of 21 motorcyle group, who i am still trying to get in touch with. If anyone knows someone who has done this, if possible i would really like to learn about the experience.
I am at moment starting to prepare the roadking for the journey. The details of the journey will be planned in the days ahead.
Old 4th April 2010, 21:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Best of luck, way to go. But I see an arduous preparation ordeal ahead. Hope you find the guy who did it before.
Old 10th April 2010, 12:26   #3

Thank you very much HVK for your good wishes..
Yes it is i expect going to be quite a preparation job!

I would love to invite the Yezdi RoadKing experts here on this forum to help me prepare the motorbike for the same with regard to the modifications that i can do. This is what i have in mind -

1. Change the existing twice rebored cylinder likely to need a third with a standard bore and rebore it to a first oversize
2. Tighten/firm up the front shocks
3. Change rear tyre from a 120/R16 to a MRF Moto-D 3.25/16
4. Change front tyre from a CEAT 3.25/16/ 4 ply to a CEAT Secura F67 which is a rib pattern

Any other advice/suggestion are welcome.
Old 13th April 2010, 17:32   #4
BHPian

0000ad, finding a standard size roadking bore in bangalore? hmm, good luck!
I would recommend chucking both tyre ideas in favour of the 3.25-16 Ceat Secura Sport. MRF Moto-D's have given regular, consistent bad experiences, and the Dunlops are a bit soft: good handling but low life.
Try adding a damper to your front fork, i think there was one period in the 80s that the Roadking came with the steering damper. Can someone confirm that?

Cheers
Rahul

PS: your profile pic tells me we've met at a certain place called Sathya's in south bangalore
Old 14th April 2010, 00:35   #5

Rahul.. thanks man for writing in..
I am having trouble spotting a bore.. might just have to go down to Mysore and i dont even know of that'll help?! In fact i found one almost new (only 3000 kms worn) but alas it slipped away.

Will take your advice on the tyres man. And will find out about the dampers.

Am also getting the clutch plates and the rear brake drum changed.. whew! seems like a lot of work going down.

Satya's it was, was it not! And the last 2 Jawa-Yezdi day rallies eh!

-Aditya
Old 14th April 2010, 12:53   #6
BHPian

will keep eyes/ears open for anything available. Std or 1st oversize should work out alright.
Any idea about the exact distance you'd be riding? you'll have to replace a lot more than clutch plates to prep the bike man! There's another thread on prepping a Bullet for such a ride, most of it should apply here too.

What time of year are you planning on doing the ride? wouldnt mind joining if i'm available.

Cheers
Rahul
Old 17th April 2010, 18:07   #7

Thanks Rahul for offering to keep an eye out..
Lots of work apart from the clutch plates of course..

No luck on the bore yet.

Intend on going in June.
Old 17th April 2010, 18:45   #8
BHPian

i am available in Srinagar for any kind of help!
Old 17th April 2010, 20:41   #9

Thank you Junniaga. I will definitely need some tips for that region about riding through. First up is it safe for a solo rider to be riding through - Leh-Srinagar-Jammu.
Also what is the weather like at the end of June in Srinagar-Jammu area?
Old 20th April 2010, 09:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0000ad View Post
Thank you Junniaga. I will definitely need some tips for that region about riding through. First up is it safe for a solo rider to be riding through - Leh-Srinagar-Jammu.
0000ad I had always wanted to do this tri[p on my '96 Classic. I would have definetly joined you, but after spending 3 weeks in a hospital, haven't got any leave balance left. Moverover, my hand is yet to recover fully.

I am still planning to bring my 96 Classic back to life for quite some time (it has been eating rust and dust for the last 8 months).

All the best and enjoy your ride.
Old 20th April 2010, 23:11   #11

3 weeks in a hospital does not sound good Devil on Wheels. Wish you recover completely sooner than later and recover well..
The classic is a beauty man.. please do tend to the fabulous machine soon..

Thank you for your good wishes..

On another note.. Does anyone have an idea about getting the Inner Line permits for Tso Moriri or Rupshu Valley without going to Leh first (which means i need to get them i suppose in Manali) My route will be :
Manali - Rohtang - Pang - Tso Kar - Tso Moriri - Leh
Is this possible?
Old 21st April 2010, 09:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On another note.. Does anyone have an idea about getting the Inner Line permits for Tso Moriri or Rupshu Valley without going to Leh first (which means i need to get them i suppose in Manali) My route will be :
Manali - Rohtang - Pang - Tso Kar - Tso Moriri - Leh
Is this possible?
AFAIK, the permits are issued only out of the DC's Office in Leh and you cannot visit Tso Moriri or Pangong Tso without them. However, some travel agents do take permits in advance, but that would be inappropriate, and you also have the problem of having the permits shipped to you somewhere on the route (like a taxi driver bringing it for you in Manali or Sarchu).

For Tso Kar, no permits required. But for Tso Moriri, permits were asked for just outside the town of Karzok on the banks of the Tso Moriri, also the only place where you can stay overnight. Besides that, when you are coming from Leh, the permits have to be shown at Upshi CP.

For Pangong Tso, permits have to be shown at Zingral CP and Tangtse CP on the Karu-Pangong Tso route.
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Area is hilly so riding will should be with all eyes open.
Kashmir is the safest place to be although Night Riding to be avoided keeping in view the terrian and not the Situation.
I would prefer you driving Solo but in a group, keeping in view any incidents like breakdowns.

I also heard you talking about passes, i caqn arrange and courier you anywhere you want , let me know.

June is usually warm in kashmir , hot in jammu but Leh/Kargil are might be chilly in the evenings.
Old 27th April 2010, 01:13   #14

Thanks HVK and Junniaga for your reponses.

HVK does going to the Zanskar valley also require a permit? Also do Chushul and Hanle need special mention in the Pangong Tso permit or they require separate permits altogether?
Old 27th April 2010, 08:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HVK and Junniaga for your reponses.

HVK does going to the Zanskar valley also require a permit? Also do Chushul and Hanle need special mention in the Pangong Tso permit or they require separate permits altogether?
No, Zanskar Valley does not require a permit.
Chushul and Hanle are not in the standard list of places where permits are given. AFAIK, you cannot get permits to go to Chushul and Hanle easily, I have never tried, never gone. A friend of mine who drove to Hanle got a invite letter from the telescope centre there before he was granted a permit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks