Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 15:55   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ahmedabad to Goa

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
1. NH 8 and NH 17; 797 km, 14 hours 54 mins
2. NH 8 and AH 47/NH 4; 840 km, 13 hours 53 mins
Definitely the faster route is via Pune. Take the Mumbai bypass which is explained in great detail by HVK and continue on NH4 till Nippani.
Then take the road via Ajra Amboli.
Old 20th February 2013, 16:43   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I dont want to start a new thread for the same route in discussion.

We are planning to drive to Goa from Surat in 3rd week march.

I looked up on Google Maps and figured out there are 2 routes. I drove on this route 3 yrs ago. Can someone pls update me which of the below 2 routes is better and whats the road condition if anyone has travelled on that route lately.

We plan to start from Surat by around 5 AM.

1. NH 8 and NH 17; 797 km, 14 hours 54 mins
2. NH 8 and AH 47/NH 4; 840 km, 13 hours 53 mins

Thanks.
Agreed with ampere. Pune should be route of choice. Good old guide by HVK on how to bypass Bombay is here
Starting 5AM from surat is bit tricky as reaching Ghodbunder will roughly take 4 hours, means at crossing Thane at about 9:30. If possible try to leave by 3:30-4:00AM.

On other side NH17 is said to have more scenic drive.
Old 21st February 2013, 13:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Agreed with ampere. Pune should be route of choice. Good old guide by HVK on how to bypass Bombay is here
Starting 5AM from surat is bit tricky as reaching Ghodbunder will roughly take 4 hours, means at crossing Thane at about 9:30. If possible try to leave by 3:30-4:00AM.

On other side NH17 is said to have more scenic drive.
If you are looking for a fast drive and reaching Goa in the shortest possible time,then the reccomended route is NH8-Ghodbunder-Vashi-Expressway-Pune bypass-Satara-Kolhapur-Nipani-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Panjim.

Surat-Ghodbunder: Approx 4-4.5hrs
Ghodbunder-Start of Expressway: 1-2hrs(purely traffic dependant)
Expressway: 1.5-2hrs
Pune Bypass Start-Katraj exit: 1hr
Katraj-Kolhapur:3hrs
Kolhapur-Panjim: 4.5hrs

Add about an hour or two for breakfast,lunch and bio breaks.Road conditions are good throughout.

NH17 is more scenic,time consuming,2 laned.If you want you could go via one route and return via the other.
Old 17th May 2013, 20:37   #19

Hello All,

Thank god for Team-bhp... I am planning to drive down to Goa from Ahmedabad this month, 24th May to be precise and after reading suggestions here, it has kicked in a new enthusiasm, however the tricky part is, it is only me & my wife travelling and I feel, if I start early 4.30ish from Ahmedabad can comfortably reach Pune by 6pm and then next morning start same time to reach Goa by early evening, or late afternoon... so is it a good idea? I have two options, economically viable CNG kit laden i10 and a Alto K10! CNG will help economically till Pune i suppose.. and there on will run on petrol, which is ok.. and if Alto K10 is driven it would be no stress car all throughout I have done 17K so far on it.. and I love it!

I may have company till Mumbai while coming back so might take the Konkan route then, however it is some encouragement that i seek from you all. Is it a good idea or should I look for other options and plan the road trip to Goa when I have more company?
Old 17th May 2013, 21:46   #20
BHPian

Hello sharpnish,

There seems to be a lot of interest in the Ahmedabad Goa road travels. This is in fact the best way to travel to Goa in my opinion. Had done this trip and onward to Kerala way back in 1998 when the car ( Maruti 800) and the roads belonged to a bygone era. Today the situation is very different.

If you start at 0430 from Ahmedabad, you should easily reach Mumbai outskirts in about eight hours,ie 1230 with one halt and driving at about 80 to 100kmph. From there on it is about 3 hours to Pune, which you should reach at about 1600 hours.

Relax overnight in Pune or surrounding areas and next day with an early start should see you in Goa by 1600 hours. Ranjitp1 has provided more details.

Two of you should be able to have a very enjoyable trip; two is a company , three a crowd!! If your wife drives, then you can take turns at enjoying the scenery.

Petrol all the way allows you to drive longer stretches without refuelling or waiting your turn at a CNG outlet.

One way drive on the Pune highway and return on the Ratnagiri/Chiplun/Mahad highway will be interesting.

Do go ahead with the drive and there is no need to wait for company.

Have a great trip.

Saji
SajiNSalin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 10:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpnish View Post

if I start early 4.30ish from Ahmedabad can comfortably reach Pune by 6pm
Much earlier even with a slow drive.With a 430am start you would reach Ghodbunder by 1130,1hr to bypass mumbai and reach Panvel Pune Expressway entry.You should be at Pune Expressway exit by 1530-1600 driving comfortably and with ample lunch breaks etc

Quote:
and then next morning start same time to reach Goa by early evening, or late afternoon... so is it a good idea?
If you leave 430 from Pune,you would reach Kolhapur by 730-you can go have Phadtare's misal(a slight detour from the highway into the town).With a 830 departure you would reach Panjim by 1330-1400.At the moment the best and super scenic route to Goa is the newly laid route via Chorla.Kolhapur-Belgaum-Piranwadi-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa-NH17

Plenty of hotels on the Pune Bypass to stay the night.Sadanand,Ginger,Sayaji etc

http://goo.gl/maps/Sd1kq

Quote:
I may have company till Mumbai while coming back so might take the Konkan route then, however it is some encouragement that i seek from you all. Is it a good idea or should I look for other options and plan the road trip to Goa when I have more company?
Konkan route is good but with lots of twisties and so more time and you need to keep your eyes really open for the trucks and buses which come screaming at you.Nothing to worry if you are careful.

All the best and have a fun drive.Nothing to beat a drive on Indian roads.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 13:36   #22

Thank you SajiNSalin, It certainly is the best way to travel down to Goa, have had many friends & relatives doing it. This has been on my mind from the day I bought my first car, however things did not align until now. Did a Goa trip three years back but the mundane quick fix of 1.40hr was a choice... However this time I wish to drive down, and you are right on two is a company... however was just thinking of physical exertion on the partner's end.. it would be tiresome, the idea is mine, but we end up getting our partner dragged in... However for her there is no choice this time Two years back we did Dallas to Orlando and back, two days of driving average 580 miles day (one way).. but that is a different country, no match to our conditions and certainly a far better car! Perhaps just being too cautious i guess..and that is leading me to be candid here and sharing thoughts with you all. Thank you once again, will follow as suggested by you and RanjitP1. I will share my experience once back. Cheers..
Old 18th May 2013, 15:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
If you leave 430 from Pune,you would reach Kolhapur by 730-you can go have Phadtare's misal(a slight detour from the highway into the town).With a 830 departure you would reach Panjim by 1330-1400.At the moment the best and super scenic route to Goa is the newly laid route via Chorla.Kolhapur-Belgaum-Piranwadi-Jamboti-Chorla-Sanquelim-Mapusa-NH17

Konkan route is good but with lots of twisties and so more time and you need to keep your eyes really open for the trucks and buses which come screaming at you.Nothing to worry if you are careful.

Yeh Ranjit nothing to beat a drive on Indian roads. Left mumbai late since I can never get ready on time :( got held up in a traffic jam in Kolhapur for just over an hour and then to top it all it poured cats and dogs and everything else in Belgaum but the trusty LX340 took me across in the heavy downpour to piranwadi cross and then got confused. But I managed to ask directions (somehow men and asking for directions is a no-no they say) and followed some GA cars to jamboti. Going down the Chorla at night is pretty scary like you mentioned. Somehow I ened up doing just that, I was just praying I don't get a flat or a breakdown and meet up with some tigers as I read a board "Mhadei." Got the confused GPS going once again and in Sanquelim it was taking me in circles once more. But the road is lovely got a few shots but didn't get time to look at the scenery. Ahaa the toll, I read in the local papers this morning that the centre has asked the state govt to withdraw it since it isn't in the MVA '88.

I've heard the Konkan route is 4 laned up to Kudal. Last drove that in route 2010. The daily accidents keep me turning towards the NH4

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 18th May 2013 at 15:19.
Old 18th May 2013, 15:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Much earlier even with a slow drive.With a 430am start you would reach Ghodbunder by 1130,1hr to bypass mumbai and reach Panvel Pune Expressway entry.
=========
Thank you, RanjitP1... it sounds perfect to follow.. Thanks to you and SajiNSalin, I have made up my mind and will be doing the trip, will take the K10, less headache of looking for CNG pumps...worked out around 9-10K expense (with toll money included) will be following route as you suggested and will definitely go for Phadtare's misal, that is a brownie point collector detour for me as my wife belongs to that state. Thank you once again, will share the trip details once back. Cheers..
Old 7th September 2014, 09:13   #25
BHPian

Dear Team BHP friends,

Yet another planned drive from Ahmedabad to Goa. The planned drive is

October 2nd : Ahmedabad to Kolhapur with night halt
October 3rd : Kolhapur to Panjim

October 6th : Panjim to Ahmedabad via Ratnagiri, Chiplun

I have driven to Goa the Chiplun route in 1999, the situation would have changed significantly now.

Both I and my wife drive, and we drive the HV Kumar style (thanks to HV) with minimum breaks and in car catering. We have done Ahmedabad to Delhi several times, so a 15 to 20 hour drive is not new to us.

Recently I had driven to Matheran and back non stop, so I am familiar with the road conditions till Thane.

Please advice on road conditions beyond Thane to Pune, Kolhapur, Goa and on the Konkan route.

I would also request advice on stay options in Kolhapur. From this thread, the Amboli ghat section seems to be very scenic, so I want to see this in the early morning.

Look forward to your advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks