Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 10:53   #1
BHPian

Mumbai to Ahmedabad in my Fiesta 1.4 Exi

Hi,

I am about to do the longest self driven road travel i.e. from Mumbai to Ahmedabad (500 Km) over the next weekend. I have never tried this route and will be doing the journey for the first time.

I would require some tips on the route as well as what checks i need to follow before i start the trip.

I will be starting my journey at around 7.00am and since the heat will be at its peak during the travel, do I need to take some extra precaution for the car?

Also I would appreciate if frequent travellers on this route can help me with some good food joints on the way.
Old 18th May 2010, 11:35   #2
BHPian

This is one of the good routes to drive on. Most of the highway is excellent with only a few diversions near Surat I suppose where construction work is on. You would love the Vadodara-Ahmedabad Expressway - 100 kms of bliss!

There is no extra precaution you need to take except for a couple of 15 minute breaks on the way to let yourself and the engine rest a bit. Also, make sure you have the right air pressure in the tires and your windshield washer reservoir is full. You might need it to clean the windshield of bugs that stick on while driving.

Drive safe and wear your seatbelts!
Old 18th May 2010, 12:00   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the info :-)

Are you aware of any good food joints on the way may be nar Surat and Vadodra. This would help me a lot.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1182 View Post
Hi,

I am about to do the longest self driven road travel i.e. from Mumbai to Ahmedabad (500 Km) over the next weekend. I have never tried this route and will be doing the journey for the first time.

I would require some tips on the route as well as what checks i need to follow before i start the trip.

I will be starting my journey at around 7.00am and since the heat will be at its peak during the travel, do I need to take some extra precaution for the car?

Also I would appreciate if frequent travellers on this route can help me with some good food joints on the way.
7am IMO is too late to leave Mumbai,and you would get tired negotiating city traffic & the jams at Dahisar Octroi and then again at Ghodbunder esp with the trucks etc.Ideal time to leave home if you can is 330am,you would be way past all the chaos by day break.Dont worry about driving in the dark,its easier than driving in daylight at snail's pace.

Check air pressure on all 5 tyres,stock up on water(to avoid dehydration) and avoid checking air pressure enroute as the tyres would be hot.

Safe driving
Old 18th May 2010, 12:35   #5
BHPian

I agree with ranjitp1 that you should leave Mumbai much earlier - saves a lot of time and the progress is faster!

Not really aware of food joints on the way because personally I avoid food on the highways as far as possible and most of my trips are in the night.

However, you should be able to get some joints just before entering Surat. I've once had parathas and tea there. For Vadodara, you might want to detour into the city to get a good place to eat. But then Vadodara is not too far from Ahmedabad and you might prefer getting to the destination rather than taking a detour into the city

Last edited by the_maassk : 18th May 2010 at 12:37.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:10   #6
BHPian

Thanks a lot for your inputs. Looking forward to a good trip. Will post the experience soon
Old 25th May 2010, 05:52   #7
BHPian

I forgot the name of the place but there is a nice food joint before Ankleshwar on your left side, coming from Mumbai. And if you want to take detour to Baroda City, let me know. I can give you some nice places, but does not make sense as Ahmadabad would be another hour and half only.
Old 22nd November 2012, 23:27   #8
BHPian

Re: Mumbai to Ahmedabad in my Fiesta 1.4 Exi

Hi guys

Planning to drive from mumbai to ahmedabad in december in my skoda dsg.

Can you please advise me on the following

What time to leave Mumbai
Might do a over nite halt may be in Surat or Baroda. Please recommended some hotels. If some other place makes better sense to stay overnite please advise accordingly.
Good places to eat on the way . Pref near the highway.
Any specific petrol pumps to tank up diesel
Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 23:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc
Hi guys

Planning to drive from mumbai to ahmedabad in december in my skoda dsg.

Can you please advise me on the following

What time to leave Mumbai
Might do a over nite halt may be in Surat or Baroda. Please recommended some hotels. If some other place makes better sense to stay overnite please advise accordingly.
Good places to eat on the way . Pref near the highway.
Any specific petrol pumps to tank up diesel
Thanks
Just back from a drive to Jaisalmer, via Ahmedabad.
Roads up to and in Gujarat are smooth. You can easily reach in daylight hours even with 2-3 breaks for fuel, lunch, tea, etc.

60 km mark at Manor on the highway is Kamath's for breakfast.
There is a nice joint Sugar n Spice, about 170 km (not exact) which has a BPCL pump and a great food court kind of place and clean loos. Could be a place to tank up and grab early lunch and head straight to Ahmedabad.
Automaton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 00:41   #10

Perfect advice by automaton. The places to stop are just right. You can easily do Ahmedabad in one morning to evening stretch. I returned from a 2000 km Guj-Rajasthan trip yesterday doing around 500 kms daily with luxurious halts for the family for lunch, tea, bio breaks etc.

Leave Mumbai around 7 am types to avoid the Dahisar toll naka and Mumbai city traffic rush .

Halt at Vithal Kamats for breakfast.

Sugar and Spice has two outlets one just before Surat and one more down the road towards Baruch.

Roads up to Surat can easily do 120-140. Surat has heavy traffic for some distance , after that roads up to Baruch are heavy truck traffic and full of covered patches. Lucky of you can do 100-120 continuously.

Bharuch to Vadodara is a good stretch and can do 120-140 tree easy.

If you are a foodie and a fast driver, you can also lunch in Daman before Vapi in some great Punjabi dhabas which are inside Daman. But you'll loose precious drive time .

I have found stopping at any of the hotels / guest houses along the stretch have good native food, clean toilets and great smiling service

Along Bharuch, buy some awesome peanuts from one of the 4 wheeler trolleys. Great munches for the family along the drive .

Vadodara hit the Ahmedabad expressway and easily do 140-160.

Ensure tire IP is set as per the manufacturer recommendations. And keep the spare wheel inflated to the right IP as well

I came back from Mt. Abu left around 11.40 and reached Bharuch at around 7 pm . there is an interesting guest house called Nyay Mandir on the right hand side / opposite side while going towards Ahmadabad at Bharuch. I took two AC rooms for the night. Awesome experience of staying there. The food was finger licking good and the rooms were decent. I looked at 5 rooms and selected two. The service team will really stretch to make you comfortable for the night. If you do wish to take a halt , I recommend it as a unique highway guest house experience rather than a grand three star experience in the city. Its a complete family place with good security for your car, and family.

Enjoy a safe drive with your seat belts on !!

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks