Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2010, 07:54   #1
BHPian

Vaishno Devi trip

I am planning a pilgrimage to the Vaishno Devi temple in June. I will fly to India and reach Delhi on the 13th . I had thought that I would drive to Jammu but that somehow does not seem to be the best option.
I plan to be back as soon as possible (if possible, within 24 hours) before I return back to Dublin.

Since I have not been there in a long long time, I request TBHP members to help me plan the pilgrimage.
What is the best way to get to Jammu? Drive/Train/Flight
June I guess could be a busy time for the pilgrimage so tickets may be hard to get. Waiting time/ Queues may be long too.
Please help me with all info/advice/suggestions.
Old 19th May 2010, 08:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Your best bet would be is to start from here
My sincere opinion would be, pls do not make the trip in hurry; if you're in tight time schedule, make sure you've sufficient time, even if you don't relax, pls don't do it in a hurry.
Old 19th May 2010, 10:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentos View Post
I am planning a pilgrimage to the Vaishno Devi temple in June. I will fly to India and reach Delhi on the 13th . I had thought that I would drive to Jammu but that somehow does not seem to be the best option.
I plan to be back as soon as possible (if possible, within 24 hours) before I return back to Dublin.

Since I have not been there in a long long time, I request TBHP members to help me plan the pilgrimage.
What is the best way to get to Jammu? Drive/Train/Flight
June I guess could be a busy time for the pilgrimage so tickets may be hard to get. Waiting time/ Queues may be long too.
Please help me with all info/advice/suggestions.
Well the best way to do it in a hurry is:
  • Del-Jammu by flight.
  • Jammu-Katra by cab.
  • Katra-VD by chopper.Theres one that takes off every 10mins(operated by Jagson & Deccan Aviation).You would be up in 5mins.Services avlbl from 8am to 6pm daily.If you use the chopper you get access to Gate 3 which is the closest to the shrine and darshan would be fast.
  • Take the chopper down to Katra as well.tkt costs around 2500 return
  • Stay the night at Katra,Country Inn by Carlson is a good place.
  • Jammu to Del by air by the 1st flight next day morning.
  • All this should be over in a day if you manage to reach Jammu by the 1st flight.
Ideally you would be able to leave Jammu the same day,but I dont think there are any evening flights from Jammu to Delhi,which means you would have to take the next day's morning flight back to Delhi.

I guess the 1st flight reaches Jammu by 10am

Del to Dublin by air
Old 19th May 2010, 12:44   #4
BHPian

Mentos,

This is the peak season to visit Vaishno Devi. If you really want to visit during June, then plan your trip as soon as possible.

To know the flight timings from Delhi to Jammu and back, please click on the following link:
Delhi Jammu flight schedule

Day 1 - Delhi to Jammu
  • Arrival at Jammu Airport
  • Departure for Katra Helipad
  • Flight from Katra to Sanjichhat / Onward for Darshan
  • Flight back from Sanjichhat to Katra
  • Stay overnight at hotel
Day 2 - Jammu to Delhi
  • Departure from hotel to Jammu Airport
This trip can be completed in one day if you go via first flight (around 07:15 - Air Sahara) from Delhi in the early morning and come back via last flight (around 15:50 - Indian) in the evening. But it will be very very hectic.

For Helicpoter services at Katra, please click on the following link:
https://www.maavaishnodevi.org/helecopter_detail.asp

Jai Mata Di,
Irish
Old 20th May 2010, 05:57   #5
BHPian

Thanx for your inputs guys.
I have planned it this way:
Day 0 - Will take a train from delhi to Jammu (might take a bus or a flight if the tatkal ticket plan falls flat)
Day 1 - Jammu, Katra, Darshan and back to Katra by midnight
Day 2 - Katra to Jammu and flight to Delhi at 1:00 PM

I am keen to take the helicopter from katra and back but somehow this strange feeling of my devotion being diluted creeps in (I know it sounds silly ).
Old 20th May 2010, 11:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentos View Post
Thanx for your inputs guys.
I have planned it this way:
Day 0 - Will take a train from delhi to Jammu (might take a bus or a flight if the tatkal ticket plan falls flat)
Day 1 - Jammu, Katra, Darshan and back to Katra by midnight
Day 2 - Katra to Jammu and flight to Delhi at 1:00 PM

I am keen to take the helicopter from katra and back but somehow this strange feeling of my devotion being diluted creeps in (I know it sounds silly ).
All the best with the train tickets,looks like a tough ask,unless you are going through the agents etc.

Maybe you could do the chopper ride one way,and climb the other way.
Old 8th July 2010, 00:37   #7
BHPian

Nobody has mentioned the trip to Bhairon and the experience at Ardh Kwari - both are a must when you visit Vaishnodevi. Bhairon can be done after visiting Vaishnodevi, but if you are taking the chopper, you end up bypassing Ardh Kwari - back to the womb...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks