Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 15:19   #1

Noida to Kasauli for Hill/Mountain Novice

I plan to drive to Kasauli over the weekend in my Baleno Lxi 2007 with my wife and kids. While I have been driving for a while now, I have never driven to the mountains/hills. Any tips on car-checks, route, or driving would be great?
Old 8th June 2010, 12:27   #2
BHPian

Route I believe would be NH1 via Ambala and then onto Panchkula via NH22. Would advice to look up the route on Google Maps.

I can surely give a tip or two regarding driving in mountain/hills.
  • Stick to your drving lane as much as possible
  • Never ever ever overtake on a blind turn
  • Always honk while taking the blind turn
  • Keep the car under your control. Patience is required!!
  • For your initial few kms on the hills, treat the road as normal road with curves. Dont think that your are driving on hills
  • Concentration level needs to go up quite a notch as compared to driving on highway/city roads
There is always a first time for everything. Don't worry, drive safely, concentrate on road and you would do fine.
Old 8th June 2010, 19:56   #3

Thanks Amitw79. Have checked the route on google maps....any tips on stops on the way? Where can we tank up with some guarantee on petrol quality? Same with our stomachs...have heard of Murthal dhabas and Ambala etc....is it really worth it to plan the itinerary to make these as breakfast and lunch/dinner stops?
Old 8th June 2010, 21:19   #4
BHPian

1st stop - Murthal dhabas are good, must try would be paranthas + white butter..yummy.

2nd stop - haveli in karnal in case you are still hungry (google it). Nice place with good old school ambiance. Rates are cheap as well.

Can also see the karna lake. Their lake facing resturant is good & serves buffet too.

3rd stop - Giani di ja dhaba (after the kasauli turn - ask anyone)

For fuel - Akshay (ambala guy) or anyone can tell you.

Kasauli - Must see sai baba temple in garkhal
Then head to kasauli. Park you car at the lower bus stand - visit the small market.

Then head to the monkey point by car.

Enjoy the drive & drive safe.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu_75 View Post
Thanks Amitw79. Have checked the route on google maps....any tips on stops on the way? Where can we tank up with some guarantee on petrol quality? Same with our stomachs...have heard of Murthal dhabas and Ambala etc....is it really worth it to plan the itinerary to make these as breakfast and lunch/dinner stops?
Cant really comment on the fuel station on the way.
But stomach station, yes , I generally tend to take break at Karnal Haveli or Savoy Greens(if you are into Mcdonalds, Subway etc stuff) but both are on the other side of the road if you are coming from Delhi and both are on highway just after Karnal City.

Other than that I have heard good comments for dhabas in Murthal as well as in Karnal, never tried them really.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

You dont need to worry about fuel
Just tank up before ambala,as the fuel cost goes up by almost 4-5Rs per litre in Punjab.
There are Plenty of Pumps Every Km on the NH.
For food,as it has already been mentioned,you can check out Dhaba's in Murthal for their Sumptuos Tandoori Paratha's with white butter.
Check out Sukhdev Dhaba,its decent but crowded.

In Karnal,you can Check out Haveli,in fact a new Haveli has opened up at Murthal Too.
For Food i would recommend Jhilmil Dhaba instead of Haveli.
You also have a Food Court in Karnal with usual Mcd's and Domino's

From Zirakpur,dont climb the flyover,take the road to the left,and then turn right,after the crossing.
Be careful on Zirakpur\Kalka Stretch,construction is going on and there are lots of small diversions and traffic flow is relatively slow and heavy.

The Hill drive is hardly 35kms,but roads are narrow,so be careful and follow all the above points suggested by fellow bhpians.
Old 9th June 2010, 16:38   #7

Amit, Akshay - Thanks a lot. This really helps
Old 9th June 2010, 19:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the points mentioned above, lemme add one more important point.

On hills the the vehicle on the ascend ( going up hill) has the right of way. If you coming down hill, make sure you slow down or stop (if the road is narrow)and let the vehicle going up pass you.

Dont be in a hurry and you will love the drive.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks