Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2010, 00:31   #1
BHPian

Mumbai-Surat road conditions

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if someone could help me with the road conditions of Mumbai-Surat. I've not been on that route before, and would like to know the condition of the road in the rains. I am considering taking the skoda superb, but only if I have the go-ahead from you guys about the road condition. Is it good enough? what are the average speeds one can expect?
I know it is good to leave early, but I will only be able to leave south mumbai at 8AM. Where can I expect traffic, and what kind of a timeline am I looking at reaching surat? Most of the TBHP logs say around 6 hours, but they all start at 3am/4am.

PS - Please dont start Skoda bashing. I only want to know the road condition, not DSG reliability, etc.
Old 24th June 2010, 09:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Road is good. Once the monsoons progresses, a small stretch of road near Vasai-Virar becomes bad, but rest of the route has good roads throughout the year. Traffic may be moderately heavy till Vapi, after which you will have lots of miscellaneous traffic. Road widening is going on from Vapi onwards, but dislocation on that account is not likely. You can maintain the time estimate of 6 hours.
Old 24th June 2010, 09:46   #3
BHPian

^^

I agree. I did this route on a Skoda like a month ago (Fabia)
No issues at all.

Like hvkumar said, you will face city traffic upto Virar and heavy truck traffic upto Vapi. And then some road widening work at intervals does not help much either in maintaining good speeds. But the roads are good thereafter.

I did Borivali Surat in less than 6 hrs, starting at 7:30 am. Budget for some time here and there due to rains.
The route is quite straightforward. You wont get lost even if you try very hard, since its a straight road right upto surat.

Last edited by jigbarai : 24th June 2010 at 09:47.
Old 24th June 2010, 11:08   #4
BHPian

Ok, thanks guys. Maybe I was getting worried for nothing. Also, what are good eateries on the way? I hear there is a woodlands at vapi? Anything that you guys recommend?

I have to go to surat for a conference on Sunday. Planning to leave saturday morning. What's there to do in and around surat? Also, whats a good place to stay?
Old 24th June 2010, 11:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi...

Just went to Vapi last week taking my Ford Ikon.

The stretch is very good and you will cruise in speeds of above 80 kmph.

A bridge is being made near Surat and the traffic near that place may be heavy.
Take the journey during the day time as the night sees a lot of heavy vehicle traffic.

No issues with the road and the trip will be a good one.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:47   #6
BHPian

knock knock.
anyone did this route recently ?

last i went there was some (okay, a lot) of lane widening happening intermittantly.
am sure monsoon woulnt have helped it much.

is it in a better condition now ?
Old 19th August 2010, 17:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Road to Surat is OK but for heavy traffic leaving Bombay. Some damage around Vasai-Virar.
Old 19th August 2010, 20:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I did Bombay to Baroda on the 15th of this month. Left Thane at 2.00pm and was in Baroda at 8.00 pm. Got stuck at Narmada toll bridge for about 10 minutes. On the span towards Baroda the traffic was open both ways with the entire heavy vehicle traffic moving towards Bombay sharing the span with us. The other span had only light traffic headed towards Bombay on it. Road was good, no small traffic because of holiday but heavy truck traffic from Vapi and then very heavy truck traffic from Surat onwards. However from Bharuch onwards the quality of the roads is A++ with minimum 3 and some stretches having 4 lanes on either side.

I continued the next day leaving Baroda around 10.00 am and reached Jaipur again by 8.00 pm. Excellent roads all the way except the Chiloda Himmatnagar stretch which is still the way NH8 used to be in pre NHAI days. Infact I lost about an hour + on this stretch as there were extra wide slow moving trailers transporting nearly 30 coaches and 2 engines of the DMRC. This slow moving convoy was omnipresent all the way from Chiloda circle up to Sales tax check post on the Gujarat Rajasthan border.

Third day left Jaipur at 2.00 pm and reached Manesar at 5.00 pm. Widening work is going on the entire stretch and coupled with very very heavy truck traffic it is an OK drive. The road surface is good, inter spread with some stretches of shoddy patch work.

Sorry for going slightly OT but I thought the information might come in handy for some.

Last edited by khoj : 19th August 2010 at 20:42.
Old 13th September 2013, 16:37   #9
BHPian

Re: Mumbai-Surat road conditions

I travelled from Mumbai to Surat on 10-9-2013. The road condition is too good....the car sails flawlessly. Rarly any pot holes. Very less traffic as there is 6 lane highway, newly resurfaced.
Scenery id good till Vapi. Can see lot of greenery due to rainy season.
Here are details for enthusiastic ones:
000 Km started from Laxmi Petrol Pump at Manpada Thane.
018 Km toll Rs 20 near fountain hotel
037 Km toll Rs 60
063 Km Kamat restaurant.....good for breakfast and lunch
089 Km Charoti toll Rs 55
127 Km Hotel Sahayadri..good place for food, clean toilets
147 Km Vapi
154 Km toll Rs 60
170 Km Punjabi and Chinese snacks
188 Km Sugar Spice (on right side...good buffet lunch)
214 Km Toll Rs 53
260 Km Surat
275 Km Main city in Surat
Old 5th August 2019, 08:57   #10
BHPian

Re: Mumbai-Surat road conditions

Team,
Could you please let me know the current road condition, after all the rains over the weekend, between Thane and Vapi. I am planning to start tday (5th Aug 2019) in cab from Pune to Vapi. Please let me know. Thanks

Regards,
Sarin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks