Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2010, 23:53   #1
BHPian

Traveling to Leh in Sep 2nd week. Need help on planning!

Mod Note : Please continue the discussion on TSK1979's excellent Leh & Ladakh Guide at this link

Finally I have managed to get that ever-elusive two weeks' leave and I am ready to unwind!

My wife and I are planning to go to Leh in the second week of September. I am planning to reach Delhi from Bangalore on 10-Sep morning, and catch an evening bus to Manali. An approximate itinerary is attached below. It would be great if frequent travelers could have a look at it and comment on what is already there, clear a few doubts of mine, and help me fill up the rest.
Traveling to Leh in Sep 2nd week.  Need help on planning!-picture-1.png

Questions:
1)I heard the HPTDC bus service might not be there on 12-Sep (saw on another forum; I have sent an email to HPTDC and awaiting the response). In that case, how much would a taxi cost approximately? Any personal suggestions on good taxi services from Manali that I can book in advance?
2)I have kept two days (days 4 & 5) in Leh; one for permits and local sightseeing, and the second for some monasteries in a 25km radius. Does that sound OK?
3)I am planning to hire a motorcycle from Leh for days 6-9 to go to Nubra and Pangong Tso. Given that it will be mid-Sep, is it wise to ride the bike over Khardungla and other passes? I don't fancy getting stuck on the passes!
4)If not bike for days 6-9, what is the usual per day taxi rental charges in Leh?
5)I can't figure out what to do on days 10 & 11. I don't want to go towards the Kashmir valley given the political conditions now and I plan to return via Manali. Please suggest how I could best utilize those two days. Or is it better to get back to Manali and see the surrounding places there? (No trekking possible as my lady has got a bad back).
6)Though I have planned to return by HPTDC to Manali on 22-Sep, I am quite sure the bus service will not be there and will need to take a taxi. Will I get taxis to Manali from Leh without any issues? Will the charges be the same as Manali-Leh taxi?

Thank you folks for reading through the post! And thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2013 at 10:32. Reason: Link to Guide
Old 9th July 2010, 08:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

I don't think there is a HPTDC bus to Keylong, there are HRTC buses. However, that is the worst way to go to Leh since these are ordinary uncomfortable buses which take 2 days + to reach with overnight halts in between.

Take the taxi. You can share a seat or hire a full taxi (~12-15K one way). You do not have t book in advance, you get them on the spot. Choice of Sumos, SCorpios, Innovas. If you hire your own taxi (preferred), you can plan the drive in 2 days. Shared-seat taxis are very uncomfortable and do Manali-Leh in one long day.

By mid-Sep, the season ends and facilities are less. NO problems in riding anywhere in Ladakh although some mild snowfall can always be expected. Make sure that you are in Leh on working days for availing permits.

Taxi charges in Ladakh can be very high - a day's drive to Pangong can cost you upto 6K (300 kms to and fro).

Going via Srinagar is not a serious problem, I would suggest you do that. Political situation has been like this in the Kashmir Valley for the last 2 decades, and we have all survived repeated visits to the region. If returning via Manali, Manali would be a good stopover.
Old 9th July 2010, 10:27   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I don't think there is a HPTDC bus to Keylong, there are HRTC buses.
Thank you very much hvkumar, for the reply. About the bus, my bad for not making it clearer: I was planning to take the HPTDC luxury bus from Manali to Leh that takes two days to reach Leh and halts at Keylong for the first night. That is what I was planning to return in, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Taxi charges in Ladakh can be very high - a day's drive to Pangong can cost you upto 6K (300 kms to and fro).

I would ideally like to do it on a bike to Nubra and Pangong. Would that cause any problem in mid-Sep?
Old 9th July 2010, 13:52   #4
BHPian

Hi,

Don't think taking bikes to the region will be a problem during that time. We will be there from Bangalore at the same time in our cars. Few places we would have covered before reaching Leh. If we hook up there, we can update you on the latest road issues / status.

Souvik
Old 30th May 2011, 21:49   #5
BHPian

Re: Traveling to Leh in Sep 2nd week. Need help on planning!

No comments on the bus transit questions. Your plan is well spaced but 15th is waste to stay in Leh. Advance the Pangong Tso by a day and squeeze in Alchi-Lamayuru, for its not everyday that you will visit Leh.
The Taxi fares are standard (so you can plan ahead), and remember, appreciate the wear and tear, besides because of the altitude the cars give an average of 5-6Kmpl, so dont compare them to a Bangalore-Mysore drive, you get the point.
Spend on the stay- in Deskit and Hunder, spend on the stay at Pangong, You will be happy, you will have treated yourself, very well.
Scanned copies of the taxi fares are available on Google images search for Leh Taxi Fares.
Take a good SLR, and spend, its possibly the most expensive holiday you can take in India. Its worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhashnm View Post
Finally I have managed to get that ever-elusive two weeks' leave and I am ready to unwind!

Thank you folks for reading through the post! And thanks in advance for any info.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks