Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 08:52   #1
BHPian

Using alternate routes to avoid tollways?

Mods: If you find anything unruly please feel free to take any action/move topic.
========================================

Hi guys,

I don't think anyone here is happy on seeing a "TOLL PLAZA", many would just simply get angry on seeing that wide 4-6-8 laned thing with men sitting inside small cubes waiting to extort money from us AAM Admi's, where we can't even do anything!

I was wondering if travel gurus here can post ways/maps/routes to avoid these toll plazas. I'm talking about all the tolls in india. I think if there's a route to by pass a toll(as read few times in forum), we should do it!

Thank you!
Old 26th July 2010, 09:22   #2
BANNED

@unoczar: I think the toll you pay (typically about Re.0.50 or so per km) is far less that the fuel you save. The alternative will be another Rs.5/- per litre on fuel, and or double the amount you pay now as road tax.

What I hate is babus, netas, and the rest of freeloaders being exempted from the toll. Let everybody pay, and if required they may claim ity back from their employer.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:26   #3
BHPian

Rs 0.50 per km is fine. for 100 kms of beautiful stretch you end up paying just 50 rs which is very good. But this rs 50 ticket should be made valid for the entire day rather than for a single trip. This would make toll roads much more affordable.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

I'm OK with the current system, be it whatever the charges; but no exception for anyone. May be exception could be provided to military & ambulances. I even wished they collect toll for two-wheelers so that the overall cost of the toll charges could come down little bit.
Old 26th July 2010, 09:47   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Rs 0.50 per km is fine. for 100 kms of beautiful stretch you end up paying just 50 rs which is very good. But this rs 50 ticket should be made valid for the entire day rather than for a single trip. This would make toll roads much more affordable.

Excellent idea. I support this. How can we take this idea forward?
Old 26th July 2010, 09:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm OK with the current system, be it whatever the charges; but no exception for anyone. May be exception could be provided to military & ambulances. I even wished they collect toll for two-wheelers so that the overall cost of the toll charges could come down little bit.
Good thinking. But highly impracticable.

Why? mostly the 2 wheelers are used by the side by villagers for their daily commute. imagine they losing their land and top of it asked to pay for their own roads within their village? So, that was the whole idea for not including the 2 wheelers.

Think this with the Elevated road toll in Bangalore. You know why they collect it for 2 wheelers too.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Pay tolls and enjoy the driving on relatively good roads like cheek of hema malini...
...or...
avoid the toll and drive on the roads like cheek of om puri.

choice is yours.

Btw, to avoid toll plaza, one can take relatively unknown, long, rural roads.

e.g.
if decided, one can reach to Mumbai from Pune by avoiding toll plaza.
you can not use expressway but can do it on old nh4 with smart use of local roads.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 26th July 2010 at 10:11.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Most of the Toll Plazas are overdated. they were opened to recover the cost of building the roads rather than maintain it. But now a days they are used for maintaining the roads since the cost of the roads have been recovered a long time back. IMO the tolls on older roads atleast should be done away with.

Talking about not charging 2 wheelers is grossly baised since the same road is being used by them too, so why exempt them from paying the toll. If the villagers had given away their land for the roads, then they must have been suitably compensated. They wouldn't have agreed to waive off the tolls for their 2 wheelers, then what about their 4 wheelers, do they pay toll. I dont think so.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If the villagers had given away their land for the roads, then they must have been suitably compensated. They wouldn't have agreed to waive off the tolls for their 2 wheelers, then what about their 4 wheelers, do they pay toll. I dont think so.
I wish they did. And why do you think we have so many people opposing any development? One main reason is, they are not compensated at market value for their land. So why should they?

And 4 wheeler yes. You can get the pass for the 4 wheelers to avoid toll paying and its valid only for a certain KMs and certainly makes sense.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

There are small detours around most of the plazas but then the amount of fuel and time spent on avoiding it negates any real gain. Its better to pay and then just enjoy the drive.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Why? mostly the 2 wheelers are used by the side by villagers for their daily commute. imagine they losing their land and top of it asked to pay for their own roads within their village? So, that was the whole idea for not including the 2 wheelers.
Possible
The constructor of OMR a.k.a Rajiv Gandhi salai, stretch in Chennai has provided passes (swipe card) to all the residents of nearby villagers all way from Madhya Kailash upto Kelambakkam, basically start to end of toll road & they can use it multiple times in a day without any restrictions. Likewise this can be implemented.

Quote:
And 4 wheeler yes. You can get the pass for the 4 wheelers to avoid toll paying and its valid only for a certain KMs and certainly makes sense
Yes, like you said, if it can be done for 4 wheelers, why not 2 wheelers?

PS - I sometimes wish the bullock carts, rickshaw be taxed/tolled/fined more than trucks for them being slow & causing so much chaos on the road.

Last edited by aargee : 26th July 2010 at 11:00.
Old 26th July 2010, 11:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

I once bypassed the toll plaza near Thoppur on NH7 by taking the a village road.

The negatives from that experience were:
- narrow village roads which were 1.5 cars wide.
- a oncoming truck jammed this road.
- railway gate where we had to wait for 20 minutes.
- potholed roads.

We had to take this road due a huge jam on NH7 caused by an accident. I would attempt bypassing only in such worst cases.

Last edited by sbraj : 26th July 2010 at 11:14.
Old 26th July 2010, 11:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Buy a TerraFugia so that you can fly over the toll gates, no need to pay the toll.

Terrafugia - Transition®, the Roadable Light Sport Aircraft : Home
Old 26th July 2010, 11:08   #14
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@AP. How does one miss the tolls on Pune - Mum route? The old NH4 has toll booths too. I'm bored travelling the e-way and there's no sense paying around 100 bucks on the old route. Further, the old route comes and joins the E-way for a stretch. Is there any route from pune to mumbai where I don't go through the e-way at all?
Old 26th July 2010, 11:14   #15
BHPian

The best way to save Toll is, follow the process gievn below -->

-> Buy a white colored vehicle only

-> Invest in buying a siren & blue revolving light on top

-> Purchase some removable Ambulance stickers

-> Use above things while crossing a toll gate, then remove them !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks