Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyd-Mysore-ooty-coonor-Palaniappa

Dear all,

Need some urgent advise and suggestions from you all to plan my trip from Hyderabad to Mysore, Ooty, Coonor and Palaniappa.
We will be travelling from Saturday, 7th August till Saturday 14th August.
We have planned our itinerary roughly as under:

1) 7th August(saturday)- leave early morning from hyderabad and reach mysore by evening and halt.
2) 8th August(sunday)- stay and sightseeing in Mysore
3) 9th August(monday) - leave by afternoon to Ooty and halt, sightseeing in ooty
4) 10th August(tuesday) - sightseeing in ooty and coonor and around.
5) 11th August(wednesday) - leave for palaniappa, stay and sightseeing
6) 12th August(thursday) -stay at Palaniappa, sightseeing
7) 13th August (Friday) - leave for Bangalore , stay at Bangalore
8) 14th August ( saturday) - Depart for hyderabad and reach back by evening.

We have already booked rooms at the Devashola Tea Estates in Palaniappa for 11th and 12th August. Will be travelling with my wife and parents. Though I have a rough overview of the route( have driven hyd-blr and blr-mysore before and have also been to Ooty before in 2007 by bus),still if there's something that you guys have to share about the route then please do give your valuable inputs.

The main query for which I started this thread is because, I see that we have enough time in hand from 10th August till 13th August, as there is very less driving to be done and places are all closeby.
I would like you guys to give valuable inputs on places to visit and how best to utilize the time, I would personally not prefer a very hectic schedule but if something is worth the visit and is closeby then I am game for it.
Also please advise on stay options in Mysore and Ooty.
My wife has shortlisted Hotel Dasaprakash in Mysore.In Ooty I stayed at Hotel Silver Oak Residency the last time. Our budget is Rs. 1000-1200 max per room, if there is anything cheaper and good, it's all the more welcome.

Request you guys to chip in with your valuable suggestions.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 2nd August 2010 at 11:44.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:55   #2

Hi!

Great to see someone setting off on a nice long road trip. Here are a few things you can do while at Coonoor

Drive to Dodabetta (the highest peak in the nilgiris). Though the place is a little touristy, the drive will be worth it. On your way back you should drive via kothagiri (and many tea estates)

Some lesser visited places like ketty valley and lovedale should be part of your itenary.

On the Ooty - Mysore road, be sure to stop by at Pykara lake if possible and take a boat ride.

While at coonoor take time off to stroll in Sim's park or around the Wellington Gymkhana's golf course. The barracks are also pretty close by and you can get a peep into the places where the movie ROJA was shot

Incidentally, I live in hyderabad now and was planning to drive down to Bangalore the coming weekend. Ill beto Bangalore on the 8th and returining on the 15th.

Have a nice trip!
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Places to experience:

- Avalanche/Emerald lakes (Half Day)
- You can club a Ooty-Conoor train travel PLUS conoor sight seeing for a day.
Since you are staying in Conoor, you will need to re-work this plan.

Once you have seen Emerald/Avalanche lakes, I dont think you will like Pykara.

Dasaprakash is a very good place with LOTS of parking. Food is also very good.
Note that there are two DPs. The one I am talking about is paradise, which near to KRS road.
(The other one is at the bus stand).

Last edited by ampere : 2nd August 2010 at 13:34.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Drive to Dodabetta (the highest peak in the nilgiris). Though the place is a little touristy, the drive will be worth it. On your way back you should drive via kothagiri (and many tea estates)
Yes have heard of Dodabetta a lot, will go for sure. Not sure of the route through Kothagiri, can you give the details, any update about the road conditions?
Quote:
Some lesser visited places like ketty valley and lovedale should be part of your itenary.
Not heard of Ketty valley, will find out.
Have seen the Lovedale station enroute to coonor from Ooty on train in 2007. Any thing special about this place?

Quote:
While at coonoor take time off to stroll in Sim's park or around the Wellington Gymkhana's golf course. The barracks are also pretty close by and you can get a peep into the places where the movie ROJA was shot
Thanks barry for the info.

Quote:
was planning to drive down to Bangalore the coming weekend. Ill beto Bangalore on the 8th and returining on the 15th.
You too have a good trip barry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Places to experience:
- Avalanche/Emerald lakes (Half Day)
- You can club a Ooty-Conoor train travel PLUS conoor sight seeing for a day. Since you are staying in Conoor, you will need to re-work this plan..
Thanks Ampere, but I will prefer staying in Ooty and visit Coonor for a day,but will have to plan how, want mom and dad to take the train, while thinking of driving down to Coonor,and then pick them up from Coonor station for sight seeing.Does it sound ok?
Quote:
Once you have seen Emerald/Avalanche lakes, I dont think you will like Pykara..
hehe!! no issues, if pykara is on way and if we have time,we might as well stop and have a look.
Quote:
Dasaprakash is a very good place with LOTS of parking. Food is also very good. Note that there are two DPs. The one I am talking about is paradise, which near to KRS road.
(The other one is at the bus stand).
I was not talking about the paradise one, but what's would be the room rates there? Let me check it online.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Thanks Ampere, but I will prefer staying in Ooty and visit Coonor for a day,but will have to plan how, want mom and dad to take the train, while thinking of driving down to Coonor,and then pick them up from Coonor station for sight seeing.Does it sound ok?
I think then for the Conoor visit, you arrange for cab. I would suggest you also take the train, if you have not taken it before. Its worth every moment. Starts at about 9 from Ooty and reaches by around 10:30. You can ask the cab guy to drop you at Ooty and then ask him to pick up Coonor. Use him for Conoor visit. That would be easier.

Also plan to book the ticket right away. Its available on IRCTC. And book the first class.
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

^^Ampere: I have taken the train from Ooty to Coonor. I would be driving my car from hyd and I heard that drive from Ooty to Coonor is good. That's why was thinking of driving and adding some kms on the odo of the car.BTW what is there to see in Lovedale?
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
^^Ampere: I have taken the train from Ooty to Coonor. I would be driving my car from hyd and I heard that drive from Ooty to Coonor is good. That's why was thinking of driving and adding some kms on the odo of the car.BTW what is there to see in Lovedale?
OK in that case, no need for the train. As Laluks was saying, you can drive down to any of the stations (Lovedale or Ketti) and walk around the track.
Not sure if anything specific at Lovedale to see. Maybe others can help.
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My wife has shortlisted Hotel Dasaprakash in Mysore.In Ooty I stayed at Hotel Silver Oak Residency the last time. Our budget is Rs. 1000-1200 max per room, if there is anything cheaper and good, it's all the more welcome.
You could try YWCA in Ooty - no luxuries, but the place does have an old-world charm about it, and if I remember right the tariff is below 1000.
Old 2nd August 2010, 20:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
You could try YWCA in Ooty - no luxuries, but the place does have an old-world charm about it, and if I remember right the tariff is below 1000.
Correction - I just spoke to my brother-in-law who visits Ooty all the time, he says the tariff at YWCA has gone up quite a bit these days, and at around 1.5K may not really be value for money.

Last time I visited Ooty (last December), we stayed at a private Bungalow overlooking the racecourse and paid around 1500 per night per room (They have 3 bedrooms there - fairly spacious). The place was really nice and has a cook who prepares delicious food (you need to pre-order). If this is Ok with you, please leave me a PM. I can try to dig up the contact details of the person to contact.

P.S: Sorry about the back to back posts. Could get the updated info about the tariff only now, and found that I can't edit my previous post now.
Old 3rd August 2010, 07:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

FM,road to doddabetta is all broken up,its a rim bender and is not really worth driving up there,if you are not keen on seeing "yet" another,I think I would skip it and its tremendously crowded now a days and parking is a nightmare.

@Ooty,you could try Glyngarth villa,not sure of the tariffs now a days,but a lovely place to stay.
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would like you guys to give valuable inputs on places to visit and how best to utilize the time, I would personally not prefer a very hectic schedule but if something is worth the visit and is closeby then I am game for it.
Now the room tarrifs are a bit low in Ooty. for hotels within your budget Das Prakash is ideal.

I am not sure of what you like to do. However Palaniappa estates have some good scenic spots by itslef. Perfect to unwind. This pic was shot at Pakassuramalai. An abandoned fort lies there. You will need to park your car and walk unless you have 4x4. Picture attached On route Palaniappa. The way is real scary and you will have second and third doubts to go up the hill. Rest assured you will atleast see a bison on your walk up. Be calm and nothing will go wrong. I am not sure if you would like to do it. And its too much for your parents to walk, I think. However if you reach up the hill and trek all the way up to the last hill, you will never feel like leaving the place. Will post some more pictures if its of interest to you.

Last edited by beejay : 3rd August 2010 at 11:05. Reason: pic din load
Old 3rd August 2010, 11:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

picture

Sorry,

Picture did not load in my previous post.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyd-Mysore-ooty-coonor-Palaniappa-17072010204.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2010, 11:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Last time I visited Ooty (last December), we stayed at a private Bungalow overlooking the racecourse and paid around 1500 per night per room (They have 3 bedrooms there - fairly spacious). The place was really nice and has a cook who prepares delicious food (you need to pre-order). If this is Ok with you, please leave me a PM. I can try to dig up the contact details of the person to contact.
Kala, have PMed you. Thanks so much for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
FM,road to doddabetta is all broken up,its a rim bender and is not really worth driving up there
Ranjit, thanks for the heads up. If it's really so bad then it could be avoided. Is it possible to park at a distance and then walk up ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
@Ooty,you could try Glyngarth villa,not sure of the tariffs now a days,but a lovely place to stay.
will search for it online. thanks for the pointer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Now the room tarrifs are a bit low in Ooty. for hotels within your budget Das Prakash is ideal.
I hope to get a decent deal on the rooms, now that it seems it is off season in ooty. I hope to find less crowd too.
Have been looking for hotels in Mysore online, and there seems to quite a lot in my range.Have to negotiate but.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I am not sure of what you like to do. However Palaniappa estates have some good scenic spots by itslef. Perfect to unwind. This pic was shot at Pakassuramalai. An abandoned fort lies there. You will need to park your car and walk unless you have 4x4. Picture attached On route Palaniappa. The way is real scary and you will have second and third doubts to go up the hill... However if you reach up the hill and trek all the way up to the last hill, you will never feel like leaving the place. Will post some more pictures if its of interest to you.
Beejay, thanks for the photo. It looks awesome. Please post more snaps. I can show it to my wife and parents and tempt them to trek. Have got new shoes for everybody, so they might as well use it.
Any landmark on where to stop and park? no 4x4 with me, it will be my humble Ikon flair. But I hope it is safe to do that?
We are heading to Palaniappa just to unwind and be with nature. Was mesemerised by all the photos posted on the forum.
Old 3rd August 2010, 12:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Fordmanchau;2008791

Beejay, thanks for the photo. It looks awesome. Please post more snaps. I can show it to my wife and parents and tempt them to trek. Have got new shoes for everybody, so they might as well use it.
Any landmark on where to stop and park? no 4x4 with me, it will be my humble Ikon flair. But I hope it is safe to do that?
We are heading to Palaniappa just to unwind and be with nature. Was mesemerised by all the photos posted on the forum.[/quote]

I don't have many pictures. All mobile phone shots.

From Coonnor, you head towards Mettupalayam.

On the first bend on the highway take the road towards Selas. Immediate left on Selas road towards Nonsuch. Ask for Pakkasuramalai. You will need to register your details at Nonsuch estate. If its on your Ikon you will need to walk a lot. More than 5 kms for sure. It will seem longer due to the high altitude.

You can also stop your car near the Factory and get on a bus that heads there, but again even that goes only half way.

Again, I am not too sure if you would like the place.This is my usual Sunday afternoon joint for liquid fantasy. I like it as the view is awesome and the walk up the hill always turns out to be exciting and liquid food pleasure keeps me going.Trust me you will feel completely connected with nature once you are up there and head to the last hill.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyd-Mysore-ooty-coonor-Palaniappa-17072010191.jpg  

Hyd-Mysore-ooty-coonor-Palaniappa-17072010200.jpg  

Hyd-Mysore-ooty-coonor-Palaniappa-17072010218.jpg  

Hyd-Mysore-ooty-coonor-Palaniappa-15072010157.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2010, 12:31   #15
Senior - BHPian

Picture

This is the entry to the hill. The walk up these steps are through thick vegetation. If you are lucky you might spot a leopard.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyd-Mysore-ooty-coonor-Palaniappa-17072010227.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks