Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2012, 12:43   #16

re: Goa to Mangalore : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
All along the NH17.Tentative timings

Madgaon-Karwar:2hrs

=========
If its your first time to Mangalore try the Gadbad icecream at Ideal.www.idealicecream.in or a visit to Pabbas
Thanks for the info Ranjit. I am right now in Goa staying in Calangute and driving to Udupi (60 Kms ahead of Mangalore) tomorrow morning. Can you please tell me which are the good, the bad and the ugly stretches? I am particularly worried about the Bhatkal Maravanthe stretch as it was worse than ugly the last time I travelled last year.
Old 29th April 2012, 17:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant Shenoi

Thanks for the info Ranjit. I am right now in Goa staying in Calangute and driving to Udupi (60 Kms ahead of Mangalore) tomorrow morning. Can you please tell me which are the good, the bad and the ugly stretches? I am particularly worried about the Bhatkal Maravanthe stretch as it was worse than ugly the last time I travelled last year.
Overall good.the bhatkal stretch has been relaid.no problems till kundapur after which widening is in progress . Since you have to go till udupi only not much of a problem.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 11:45   #18
BHPian

Hows the road condition from Goa to Mangalore?? Anyone has been on this route recently?. I am planning to go with my family this week. Will be taking the Honda city. I was told that the roads are very bad and it will take min 7 to 8 hours to reach Mangalore!! is this true?? the other option is to take the train but i seriously want to drive.If the road is decent enough then i will drive otherwise will take the train.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
Hows the road condition from Goa to Mangalore?? Anyone has been on this route recently?. I am planning to go with my family this week. Will be taking the Honda city. I was told that the roads are very bad and it will take min 7 to 8 hours to reach Mangalore!! is this true?? the other option is to take the train but i seriously want to drive.If the road is decent enough then i will drive otherwise will take the train.
Yes roads are broken up especially between Ankola and Kundapur.Pumpwell(Mangalore) to Kali Bridge Karwar took around 6hours after the rains.
Old 12th August 2013, 18:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Asking for my manager.

He's planning to drive from Mangalore to Goa sometime in October. What is the route? How are the roads? Road conditions must be bad right now?
Old 13th August 2013, 05:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Asking for my manager.

He's planning to drive from Mangalore to Goa sometime in October. What is the route? How are the roads? Road conditions must be bad right now?
On a lighter noteI hope road conditions wouldnt affect your appraisal

As for the route no other route other than NH17 and kundapur to ankola is all bad at the moment.ankola onwards its good.
Old 13th August 2013, 15:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
On a lighter noteI hope road conditions wouldnt affect your appraisal

As for the route no other route other than NH17 and kundapur to ankola is all bad at the moment.ankola onwards its good.
Bwahahahaha. I hope not!!!

Anyways, thanks for the update.
Old 25th November 2013, 13:21   #23
BHPian

Hi,
Planning a long road trip from Bangalore to Madikeri and then onward to Goa and Pune for december. Just wanted to know the best route to take from Madikeri to Palolem.
Reading about NH-17 not being in good condition. So was thinking of taking the Kushalnagar- arsikere- shimoga- honnavar route. Dont mind extra km. Only road conditions need to be good. Travelling with kids in an innova.

thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 00:39   #24
BHPian

Any updates on stretch between Kundapur and Bhatkal? Mangalore to Kundapur is good and Bhatkal to Goa is reported to be good too... But the worry is the 90 kms odd between Kundapur and Bhatkal...Any one been through recently?
Old 28th July 2014, 12:13   #25
BHPian

The roads were patched during last year but now a days almost from Murudeshwar to Baindur road is bit rough to drive at even 60. Especially after Shirali till Bhatkal (5 Kms) is worst.
meetbadri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2016, 16:26   #26
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Planning to drive down to Mangalore this month end from Mapusa Goa. What is the current road conditions and how much time it will take? Are there any interesting things to see en route or around Mangalore. I am travelling with family and have 4 days to spare.
Old 9th October 2016, 13:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
Hi Guys,
Planning to drive down to Mangalore this month end from Mapusa Goa. What is the current road conditions and how much time it will take? Are there any interesting things to see en route or around Mangalore. I am travelling with family and have 4 days to spare.
Road all the way is good , but expect to encounter road widening around Karwar onwards till Kundapur. Nothing to worry about but a minor irritant as it is not condusive to all out comfortable cruising. From Kundapur till Mangalore it is wide 4 laned. You can expect 7 hours time with a half hour food break in between.
You will pass numerous beaches enroute Palolem, Karwar, Gokarna,(detour 10 kms) Murudeshwar, Marawanthe,Malpe(4 kms detour from highway)and St marys island , Kaup . All worth visiting . At Gokarna and Murudeshwar you will find quaint Temple towns.

Around Mangalore you have lots of temples,Beaches,Icecream(Pabbas) , Mangaloean , udupi and Sea food cuisine, beaches,boat cruises ( for a person from Goa it is daily affair),Pilikula zoo,lake and water park is a attraction for family and kids, Chruches etc.

A drive to Kudremukh hill station and scantuary is worth the effort.

Boat house stay on backwaters at Kasargod and Nileshwar is unique experience.

Chikmaglur, Sakleshpur and Madikeri with its coffee and tea estates is a days getwaway and enjoyable on its own.

Enjoy your drive and stay

Last edited by srinivaspai : 9th October 2016 at 13:12.
Old 11th October 2016, 09:44   #28
BHPian

Thanks Srinivaspai for the response and for your guidance on things to do and see. Will make our itinerary accordingly.
Old 19th April 2017, 17:06   #29
BHPian

I have just done Mapusa to Udupi last week. It was roughly 330 km each way. From Mapusa to the Goa border the road is smooth, occasionally 4-laned. When it's two lanes , one tends to get stuck behind slow traffic, and you can expect an average 40 k.p.h. on this 100 km stretch. From the Goa border to Karwar it broadens to 4 lanes, but only upto Karwar limits, so about 15 kms. From then on for the next 180-odd km the road is being widened so one has to constantly zigzag from left to right. Traffic is sparse beyond Karwar and one can average 65 kph with ease. Around 30 km before Udupi, the proper 4 lane highway starts, and it's a delight. 100kph average for this section. It took me around 7 hours each way, with a couple of stops for coffee and snacks.
filcord is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2017, 09:06   #30
BHPian

Can any TBHP member advise me on the road conditions between Karwar-Mangalore and Mangalore-Mysore, especially during this time of the year?

My family and I are planning a Goa-Mysore road trip and we have shortlisted two options:

1. Panaji-Karwar-Mangalore-Madikere-Mysore
2. Panaji-Londa-Dharwad-Tumkur-NICE ring road-Mandya-Mysore.

The second route is comparatively longer, but may more relaxing as it would pass through fewer villages and hence, fewer speed breakers, people/animals crossing the road, etc.

The second route may also necessitate an overnight stay around or after Tumkur, so advice on a decent hotel would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks