Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2010, 09:31   #1
BHPian

IRCTC Tour packages - Any review ?

Hello Team,

I searched for IRCTC in our site, all i got was bad reviews on IRCTC booking service and hence a new topic.

Has any of you folks travelled in IRCTC offered Tour packages. I know we petrol heads are on our own all the time, but I was trying to book a ticket and saw some interesting deals over the site. Deals looked decent with all hassles being taken care by IRCTC folks.

If yes, can I request to fill me in details like - how was the overall travel, hotels and accommodation etc ?

I am looking at in and around the south - like ooty, kodai or munnar etc!

Thanks in advance folks,
Old 10th September 2010, 16:39   #2
BHPian

Took the IRCTC Vaishno Devi package last year. Would highly recommend it. The accomodation was very good, meals were included, transfers were decent (non-ac coach) and some sight seeing as well around Jammu. The best part is that if you book their package, you're guaranteed a 3rd AC train reservation, which otherwise we were not getting.
Old 10th September 2010, 17:05   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the reply Vineet. I could not see too many reviews out in the net too. But your reply is reassuring. I am thinking of mysore-coorg / ooty package. Let me see if somebody else also replies.

Thanks again

Cheers
Old 12th January 2012, 10:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: IRCTC Tour packages - Any review ?

Sorry to bump up old thread, but saw this just now. My mom with her group went to Char Dham yatra last March with IRCTC, and she was happy with the arrangements. A dedicated train to your disposal, food aplenty. The arrangement is good and the price best. IIRC, she did the tour in some 7500/8000rs including everything! They have fixed cost of 500rs per day which includes lodging boarding and travelling. Damn good budget option for people who aren't looking for luxury.
Old 12th January 2012, 13:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have been to two tours with Rail Tourism one being a 10 day tour and the other for a couple of hours-

1. North and East religious tour- covering Allahabad, Varanasi, Gaya, Kolkatta, Puri, Bhuvaneshwar. Tour started and ended at Chennai though the actual last stop might have been Coimbatore. It was a separate train of 2nd class sleeper coaches. Food was good mostly south Indian prepared in house. We ate, slept and travelled in the same train. Had vehicles for transfers at stations for sight seeing. Two halts at Varanasi and Kolkatta where the hotels were ok, nothing great. But overall a very economical package at around Rs.7k I guess, considering that all these places would be either too costly by air or a nightmare to book the connections by train. Try looking at such packages in LTC Tour Packages By IRCTC, Confirm Ticket, Tourist Charters India and you never know if you get a package you were looking for all this while

2. Darjeeling Toy Train joy ride - again booked in the same site http://www.railtourismindia.com/TourPackages/RailTour/Darjeelinghimalayan-Railways-Toytrain.html This tour is a 2 hour ride from Darjeeling to Ghum and back and stops at Ghum for half an hour to see the rail museum. Really a nostalgic ride considering that this is the only high point of visiting Darjeeing and is for surely the best attraction
Old 9th March 2015, 09:36   #6
BHPian

Any recent reviews, I am planning to send my mother and in-laws from Chennai.

Tour link - http://www.irctctourism.com/TourPack...ai-SMR088.html

As they are all 55+, wanted to make sure they journey will be as comfortable as possible.
Old 9th March 2015, 10:03   #7
Team-BHP Support

My parents attended two such tour packages from IRCTC. They hate the whole idea of travelling to the destination in flight and prefer trains because of the people and the experiences it brings along.

The first time they went upto Delhi from Kerala covering 21 days if I remember correctly. It was a non a/c package and that really messed with their health. Took almost two months to recover from this.

The second time it was till Kashmir valley from Kerala and this time it was in a/c coaches throughout and they really enjoyed it. No health problems as well, and made a lot of new friends from the trips.

I'm still apprehensive about the whole train journey stuff, but they are getting ready for the next trip- Kerala to Nepal.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 11:26   #8
BHPian

Thanks, how about IRCTC staff behaviour, courtesy, politeness, helping elders like carrying the baggage etc.,?
Old 9th March 2015, 12:50   #9
BHPian

My Parents and his friends along with families, booked Bharat Darshan Tour Package which covered Pune-Rajastan-Delhi-Agra-Haridwar-Mathura-Amritsar-Jammu-Vaishnodevi.

They enjoyed a trip, a thoroughly satisfied with the experience and arrangements and food quality as well.

And it was damn cheap, 6000 buck per person for 17 days including everything.
Old 9th March 2015, 13:14   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
And it was damn cheap, 6000 buck per person for 17 days including everything.
When was it? I doubt this is recent as the tour I am looking for costs more.

standard package (SL coach/Dormitory) costs 10K where as comfortable (3A coach/hotel) costs 23K.
Old 9th March 2015, 13:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbhp View Post
When was it? I doubt this is recent as the tour I am looking for costs more.

standard package (SL coach/Dormitory) costs 10K where as comfortable (3A coach/hotel) costs 23K.
it was in September, 2013. It was 'SL coach' package.
Old 25th January 2020, 09:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Alert: Fake IRCTC site derails holidaymakers’ plans

Beware of fake sites for your travel plans.

IRCTC which is a subsidiary of the Indian Raillways filed an FIR in New Delhi against unknown persons for running a fake IRCTC website.

The fake operator/s also created accounts and pages on IRCTC Tour on various social media sites to attract travellers.

It is not yet clear how many people have been duped. IRCTC came to know about the website in Dec-19.

Source: https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/73600020.cms
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks