Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2010, 08:02   #1
abk
BHPian

US: Indiana to California - route suggestion

Folks, continuing my passion for driving we guys are planning to drive from Warsaw, Indiana to California (San Francisco / San Jose / Los Angeles). Google map shows the following route.

US: Indiana to California - route suggestion-new-year-road-map.jpg

We are trying to sketch out our route so that we catch as much road experience as possible. Bearing in mind the trip is planned during this year's xmas vacation (snowy/icy conditions until south / south-west?), can anyone who has travelled along similar route advise:
  1. Towns and quaint local places to see (am not a city or concrete buff rather would experience local ambience)
  2. Any particular road suggestion (based on scenic quotient & not higher speed limits - we will avoid interstate highways)
  3. Daily recommended miles (will have 3 drivers; car/SUV on rent; avoid interstate highways)

After the Ladakh trip last year this will be the most eagerly awaited trip. Fancied taking my BMW E39 but alas! our plan is not to drive but drop the car off in California and fly back.
Old 23rd September 2010, 17:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

How many days are you planning?

I have done a lot of reconn for an upcoming (maybe next year) c2c drive, 10 K kms in 27 days, from NJ to SFO. If you let me know the days, general areas, I can try to give some ideas from the database I have generated. I've also planned car hire, one way drop off etc.,

You can google for Route 66, you'd find lots of options.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd September 2010 at 17:06.
Old 23rd November 2010, 13:16   #3
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
How many days are you planning?

I have done a lot of reconn for an upcoming (maybe next year) c2c drive, 10 K kms in 27 days, from NJ to SFO. If you let me know the days, general areas, I can try to give some ideas from the database I have generated. I've also planned car hire, one way drop off etc.,

You can google for Route 66, you'd find lots of options.

--Ramky
======
Thanks Dear Ramky! Unfortunately, due to my aching back I am heading back to India before the Christmas. Consequently, this trip will have to be shelved off :( Instead am planning to do a week long trip to the North East (that's where my home and also the heart is!) during the vacation, provided my back is restored to a fair degree of flexibility and levels of pain reduced to more endurable experience.

Thanks once again for your zeal to help a fellow BHPian. Cheers to the spirit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks