Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2010, 19:32   #1
BHPian

Kolleru lake bird sanctuary

Kolleru lake is the largest fresh water lake in India and doubles up as a bird sanctuary. This seems to be one of those not much traveled to places and I tried the web but there is minimum (credible) information and thought the best would be to post a query here, given the number of travel/photography guru's on TBHP. Upon some research, I closed in on Eluru and Kaikaluru to be the best places to stay. The plan is to take a bus from hyderabad, nest in Eluru and borrow a bike (dad has got some friends there, but they dont seem to know much about the WLS) to get around the sanctuary.

1) What i am unable to conclude is the best sites around these 2 towns would be best to catch bird nestings/sightings and how to get there.
2) Is the bird sanctuary something that needs to be covered by boat?
3) I have a Canon SX 20 IS (12.1MP, 20x opt zoom etc - P&S). Would this be good enough?
4) Any other info would help!
Old 29th September 2010, 23:11   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

E_T. I've read in school days that Wular lake is the largest fresh water lake in India. Now you say Kolleru is.

Can we have a map of the lake and approach routes (you'd have already planned something).
Old 29th September 2010, 23:48   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
E_T. I've read in school days that Wular lake is the largest fresh water lake in India. Now you say Kolleru is.

Can we have a map of the lake and approach routes (you'd have already planned something).
MS, long time! Oh yes, i too remember reading the same. I stumbled upon Kolleru being the largest fairly recently, source wiki. The route is also a pretty well traveled one, just that ppl dont make a stop at Eluru/Kikaluru to visit the sanctuary. I plan to take a bus as there are too many in this route (and some cost cutting these days). The route is Hyderabad-Vijayawada-Eluru. Here is the wiki link to kolleru and the route one has to take by road.
Old 30th September 2010, 00:52   #4
BHPian

OT : but ET, your signature cracked me up, well done.
Old 30th September 2010, 07:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

This is news! I also thought it was Wular.
I think its a sensitive area as well. Is it not?
Old 30th September 2010, 09:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
OT : but ET, your signature cracked me up, well done.
thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is news! I also thought it was Wular.
I think its a sensitive area as well. Is it not?
ampere, wular lake probably was the largest sometime back. but its kolleru now. Both are endangered due to the soil mafia extracting illegal amounts of soil and efforts(?) are on to restore them to their previous glory. Wular is a bit more challenge, what with its proximity to the kashmir valley.
Old 1st October 2010, 16:29   #7
BHPian

I might just do the trip by my Car, in the 2-3rd week of Oct as my family members are joining in. There seems to be very less information on the sanctuary per-se, including the info available on the net, though the route is a pretty busy one (Hyd-vijayawada-Eluru). I plan to cover as much of the sanctuary as possible and add info on TBHP. In the meantime, any help on the sanctuary is welcome.

This is the link to the route i intend to take and the map below. Folks who have done this route recently, how is the Hyd-Suryapet-Vijayawada stretch? Last i heard there is heavy construction work (4-lane) in progress. Is it complete?
Kolleru lake bird sanctuary-route.jpg

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 1st October 2010 at 16:34.
Old 1st October 2010, 16:37   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

So much of cost cutting. Guess you are planning something big (bigger than the gujarat trip that's been cooking for a while).
And I was googling and I find that some sites still mention wular is largest in India. As long as it's still in India and has not been taken over by the chinese or pakistan.
Old 1st October 2010, 16:49   #9
BHPian

Quote:
So much of cost cutting. Guess you are planning something big (bigger than the gujarat trip that's been cooking for a while).
And I was googling and I find that some sites still mention wular is largest in India. As long as it's still in India and has not been taken over by the chinese or pakistan.
i am trying to find new places, without getting lost (in the pockets i mean). And i happened to visit a thread in the shifting gears section, recently that made me realize the importance of not 'losing it' and living like a zombie. Some big trips are on the anvil but not sure how i will make them.
Oh yes, as long as i dont have to take a visa to visit it, i am ok with any info
Old 1st October 2010, 16:57   #10
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Sir. Let me tell you one thing here. It's good to invest. But at the same time one needs to get a life too. I'd really appreciate if you go visit places on low budget for enjoying it like a common man. But unless you don't have pressing financial issues, please go ahead and indulge once in a while. Not all people who indulge occasionally live like zombies. The key is in right investments and not cutting costs.

Anyway, you know better so no advices there. I love taking the buses and trains and seldom fly. I still travel sleeper class. Not for cost cutting. But for enjoying life in very simple levels as it was during college days!

A trip to pune is still pending, if you remember.
Old 1st October 2010, 18:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
It's good to invest. But at the same time one needs to get a life too.
A trip to pune is still pending, if you remember.
Correct sirji and that is what i am trying to balance by traveling buses and SL trains. I always longed to do the GJ trip by road but due to the sheer fun of traveling by train and the cost factor, i did the last 4 trips by train only.
Yes, the pune trip is long pending and I might come next weekend, though for a different reason. My bike is a pune regd one and have NOC from Pune RTO to Bangalore RTO. I need to get the Blr NOC cancelled and have a fresh one issued to Hyd (Cost cutting again, the madhapur traffic is a fuel guzzler). The trip would be a very short one, arrive Sat morning and leave the same night. I will try and catch up if i extend it by a day or 2. BTW, how was the Kaas pune TBHP meet?
Old 1st October 2010, 19:23   #12
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Kolleru is indeed the largest lake not now but since it is in existence.
It is effected not much by sand mafia but it was encroached for fishing (commercial) in the last two decades by powerful people.

(andhra contributes almost 70-80% of commercial fish production including that of prawns)

There was supreme court case also for the preservation of Kolleru lake. Supreme court ordered AP govt to clear of it encroachments

It is in west godavari district of AP
Old 12th October 2010, 13:00   #13
BHPian

All, thanks a ton for your help. I finally did the trip by train. Here is the TL, enjoy!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-paradise.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks