Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2010, 17:23   #1
BHPian

Suggestion for a family tour in Southern India

Hi guys,

We are planning for a big family tour in our organization from chennai. Its gonna be full of couples and kids. so we are looking for a place where we can relax a bit and have fun together all the day as a group. We are avoiding places like where we have to keep moving from one place to another and spend most of the time in travel and packing up the big group.

Mostly, we go to Ooty or kodaikanal and spend an entire day in the park and the next day in sight seeing. So we are looking for a similar location except ooty, kodai, munnar or wayanad.

Its on the thanks giving holidays and expecting a 4 days break.

Your suggestions please.

Last edited by klassics45 : 30th September 2010 at 17:24.
Old 30th September 2010, 18:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

1.Yercaud 2.Pondy are some of the other options.
Old 30th September 2010, 19:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Please check out this thread as well Link
Old 30th September 2010, 20:29   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Please check out this thread as well Link

Thanks All. Coorg is preferred by many of us but not sure which resort will be suitable for 20+ group.

can anyone throw some lights on which resort would be good from the below list of resorts

: : Holiday Mantra : : Homestays In Coorg, Kerala, Goa. Package Tours, Leisure Holidays And Advenutre Holidays In Manali, Rajasthan And All Over India

Last edited by klassics45 : 30th September 2010 at 20:32.
Old 30th September 2010, 20:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Try coastal Karnataka, they are worth a visit. You can also visit Kudremukh/Chikkamagalur.
Old 30th September 2010, 22:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Chickmagalur/Kemmanagundi are good choices. They are calm and quiet hill stations to spend good time with family. But please ensure you make good arrangements before you go.

Other option could be Yelagiri, but from chennai, its not too far distance for you.

-Ravi
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:28   #7
BHPian

Thanks Guys, Confirmed it to Eagle eyes in Chikmagular. Leaving on 25th morning around 3 am. Please confirm the route that i planned is good.

Chennai - Bangalore, Take nice road to skip B'lore, Go till tamkur in NH4 and take left to NH 206, Continue till Banavara and take left to Chikmagular. (Google map)

Also, how is the weather over there? are the roads good? Its a family trip so trying to make better preparation.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Thanks Guys, Confirmed it to Eagle eyes in Chikmagular. Leaving on 25th morning around 3 am. Please confirm the route that i planned is good.

Chennai - Bangalore, Take nice road to skip B'lore, Go till tamkur in NH4 and take left to NH 206, Continue till Banavara and take left to Chikmagular. (Google map)

Also, how is the weather over there? are the roads good? Its a family trip so trying to make better preparation.
The other route being Nice road- Nelamangala - Kunigal - Hassan - Belur - Chikkamagalur. Weather is very good, generally. Depending on what time of the day you plan to venture out around chikkamagalur and what places, packing some warm clothes might be a nice idea.

If you're willing to sacrifice one day of resort-comfort, remember to visit Kalasa, Kuduremukha and Sringeri ( atleast those who are willing to )

Roads :

If NH206 via Tiptur : good and bad, on and off.
If NH 48 via Hassan : be ready to face some diversions.

First one shorter.

Last edited by airguitar : 23rd November 2010 at 14:48.
Old 23rd November 2010, 14:45   #9
Team-BHP Support

Better to go via Hassan. Two advantages:

- More places for break. You will find many CCD and Kamat. (On 206 there are very few places after Tumkur)

- You get familiar with roads, that lead to Belur/Haleibid temples.
Old 24th November 2010, 13:48   #10
BHPian

Thanks airguitar, ampere, we have our check at 12 noon on 25th. So what time would be ideal to start from chennai. I can reach b'lore in 4 hrs asusual but not sure how long will it take to Chikmagular. I was thinking about early morning start at 3 am. thoughts?
Old 24th November 2010, 14:39   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks airguitar, ampere, we have our check at 12 noon on 25th. So what time would be ideal to start from chennai. I can reach b'lore in 4 hrs asusual but not sure how long will it take to Chikmagular. I was thinking about early morning start at 3 am. thoughts?
4 Hours is too fast for me!

But here is the break:

- Start at 3AM
- Break at Krishnagiri for BF at 6:30-7AM
- Hit NICE Road
- Exit at Magadi
- Drive through SH to Kunigal to Hit NH48 and then on via Hassan.

Give it another 5-6 hours minimum from BLR with one break in between.
Old 24th November 2010, 17:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMPO, I wouldn't recommend to start at 3 am, because
(1) too early & you may not have enough good sleep previous night before a long drive
(2) other drivers on road may not be well alert, especially the truck drivers.

Atleast start after 4:30 am from chennai.

Just a thought from safety point of view....

It shouldn't matter, if you check-in an hour or two late, but call up the hotel and confirm your arrival time.

-Ravi
Old 26th November 2010, 17:50   #13
BHPian

Thanks all, we are in chikmagalur. Nice place. We missed to take NH48 and came through NH206 and banavara. Not good route. Planning to come back through hassan.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks