Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2010, 00:20   #1
BHPian

How is Road Condition between Sringeri -> HoraNadu -> Kottigehara --> Belthangadi

Hi,

Looking for information on road condition between

1. Sringeri -> HoraNadu -> Kottigehara ->Charmudy Ghat -> Belthangadi

2. Sakleshpur -> Kodlipet -> Arkalgud -> Gorur

My ride will be Swift and may travel late in the evening.
Apprecaite response from fellow members on

regards,
-manju

Last edited by manjubp : 2nd October 2010 at 00:22.
Old 2nd October 2010, 01:42   #2
BHPian

Horanadu -> Kottigehara ->Charmaadi Ghat -> Belthangadi was good when I did it in the first week of Aug. Sringeri -> Horanadu via Kuduremukha Kalasa was good until May ( not sure after that ).

Despite having been on this stretch quite often, I'd definitely do all that I can to avoid traveling on them in the late evenings. Never.
Old 3rd October 2010, 22:43   #3
BHPian

@airguitar: Thanks for the suggestion. Certainly avoid traveling in late evening, and change the plan to stay back in Sringeri and travel next day morning.

Any latest update on

1. Sringeri -> Horanadu via Kuduremukha Kalasa and

regards,
-manju
Old 4th October 2010, 07:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post

Despite having been on this stretch quite often, I'd definitely do all that I can to avoid traveling on them in the late evenings. Never.
Airguitar, just curious to know why this warning? Is it fog? (I once got stuck in a thick fog between Kalasa and Kudremukh around 6:30PM or so) or is it something else?

Thanks,
Old 4th October 2010, 08:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Airguitar, just curious to know why this warning? Is it fog? (I once got stuck in a thick fog between Kalasa and Kudremukh around 6:30PM or so) or is it something else?

Thanks,
Prasad, for the simple reason that they are vast expanses of isolated stretches and there is no telling what one should expect, some stretches are scary esp between Sringeri and SK Border/Kuduremukha in the late evenings. @Addy/Others : you frequent these parts - what are your thoughts?
Old 4th October 2010, 10:06   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post

Thanks,
I also heard same warning from some of my friends from Shimoga. Basically because of Naxalites, they are concerns. Specifically surrounding Sringeri and kudhuremukha.
Old 4th October 2010, 14:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Prasad, for the simple reason that they are vast expanses of isolated stretches and there is no telling what one should expect, some stretches are scary esp between Sringeri and SK Border/Kuduremukha in the late evenings. @Addy/Others : you frequent these parts - what are your thoughts?
Actually I'm not aware of the situation on the Sringeri - SK border route. From what I heard from localites in Kudremukh, Naxals do not harm any travellers or tourists. Other than the naxalite problem, there should be no cause for concern. It will be lonely though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Hi,

Looking for information on road condition between

1. Sringeri -> HoraNadu -> Kottigehara ->Charmudy Ghat -> Belthangadi

My ride will be Swift and may travel late in the evening.
Apprecaite response from fellow members on

regards,
-manju
No idea about conditions from Sringeri to Horanadu. But, Horanadu-Kalasa-Baalur-Kottigehara road is good for the most part. Apart from a small stretch after Kalasa and near Hirebailu, it is good for the rest of the route.
Again no idea about the Kottigehara-Charmadi-Belthangady route. Better check out the following thread for updates

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ore-udupi.html

From Sakleshpur to Kodlipet, there are 2 options.

1. Sakleshpur-Ballupet-Kodlipet:

Sakleshpur-Ballupet is the NH48 (towards Hassan). At Ballupet, you need to take a right turn towards Kenchammana Hoskote. The road is good until Kenchammana Hoskote. After that it is broken till Kodlipet (around 15kms).

2. Sakleshpur-Donigal-Shukravarasante-Kodlipet:

Sakleshpur-Donigal is on the NH48 (towards Mangalore). After Manjarabad Fort, take the road on the left side. This road is good all the way to Kodlipet.

Kodlipet-Mallipatna-Arkalgud-Gorur:

I had done the Kodlipet-Mallipatna route long back (more than 3-4 years ago). It was not in good condition and I don;t think any improvements would have happened. After Mallipatna, the road should be better (AFAIK). Arkalgud to Gorur (7 kms) is good but broken in places.

Instead of going via Kodlipet, I'd suggest you take the Sakleshpur-Hassan-Gorur route. The distance is almost the same and you have good road conditions.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sringeri to SK border, its very bad at some stretches and managable in some.
SK to Hornadu is in good/decent shape...
Old 4th October 2010, 15:18   #9
BHPian

@Addy:

Thank you very much and I would go by your advice.

@lohithrao : Thank you, I hope Sringeri to SK border is manageable in a hatch back(swift), with lot of care.
Old 4th October 2010, 16:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Manju, yes but you wont be enjoying the drive...
Old 5th October 2010, 01:41   #11
BHPian

Last time I tried SK border to Sringeri, I vowed not to return on the at route ever again. Too narrow and too much truck traffic. Every time there is a bus/truck from the other side you'd have to get off the road. And the shoulders are a full two feed deep. The worst experience ever. Got stuck behind a stubborn truck which wouldn't let us pass. The 40 odd km's took nearly and hour and half of pain to cross. You are better off Balehonnuru - Mangudi - Kalsa.

About safety - absolutely no concerns with Naxals. They are not known to harm travelers. Yes, it is terribly lonely on those roads with no mobile connectivity. I have gone there a couple of times at odd hours but didn't feel every unsafe.
Old 5th October 2010, 15:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Last time I tried SK border to Sringeri, I vowed not to return on the at route ever again. Too narrow and too much truck traffic. Every time there is a bus/truck from the other side you'd have to get off the road. And the shoulders are a full two feed deep. The worst experience ever. Got stuck behind a stubborn truck which wouldn't let us pass. The 40 odd km's took nearly and hour and half of pain to cross. You are better off Balehonnuru - Mangudi - Kalsa.

About safety - absolutely no concerns with Naxals. They are not known to harm travelers. Yes, it is terribly lonely on those roads with no mobile connectivity. I have gone there a couple of times at odd hours but didn't feel every unsafe.
@bullinb : Thanks.

Certainly I was not even aware that there is Balehonnuru - Mangudi - Kalsa. Google map doesn't show this route. I would take this route.
Old 5th October 2010, 22:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
@bullinb : Thanks.

Certainly I was not even aware that there is Balehonnuru - Mangudi - Kalsa. Google map doesn't show this route. I would take this route.
That was the route suggested by a gentleman to me when I did my maiden trip to these parts. He recommended this route over the other route over SKB/KMKH for a late evening travel ( He said "Lifu Importantu" and I didn't heed of course then ). But I do agree with bullinb that is a better route ( only thing is you don't get those scenery ).
Old 6th October 2010, 11:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also heard same warning from some of my friends from Shimoga. Basically because of Naxalites, they are concerns. Specifically surrounding Sringeri and kudhuremukha.
Quote:
Rightly said Bullinb, please don't listen to rumours. Though the place is isolated during night time, there haven't been any instances of Naxalites attacking Travellers on that road.

Quote:
Balehonnuru - Mangudi - Kalsa.
Quote:
@Certainly I was not even aware that there is Balehonnuru - Mangudi - Kalsa. Google map doesn't show this route. I would take this route.
It is MAGUNDI, not MANGUDI. The road is in good condition from Balehonnur-Magundi, but from thereon till Kalasa, some potholes are there but can driven easily in a sedan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks