Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2010, 19:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Need help with planning a trip in Karnataka

Hi Folks,

I am planning to be in Goa from noon of Oct 23 to the noon of Oct 25, to visit relatives and also for a trip to our family deity.

After this is done, I would like to visit a few places in Karnataka over the next 4.5 days (till Oct 29), before I returning to Pune on Oct 30. Some places that I've heard of and read about that could be done ex-Goa are Karwar, Murudeshwar, Udupi, Chikmaglur, Belur, Halebidu, Sravanabelagola, Hampi & Badami.

Some questions that I had are:

1. I realise that not all these places can be included in such a short duration, but what would be an optimum plan for taking in these destinations?
2. What are the places to see in and around the above destinations?
3. Which hotels/resorts would you recommend for a family to stay at these places? My budget is around 2000/day (slightly stretchable).
4. How are the roads right now, considering that it's not long since the monsoon got over?

I know these are very generic questions, but to be very honest, I'm really bad at planning trips and making itineraries, and would really appreciate some help here. So, apart from the answers to the above questions, any other suggestions/comments/advice is most welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th October 2010 at 19:10.
Old 10th October 2010, 19:51   #2
BHPian

Dear Vikram,

I wish you could see all the places mentioned. I have just been to Chik, Belur, Halebidu and Shravnabelogola-loved the drive from Bangalore and great places to see. Suggest a Homestay around Chik-stayed at Spectrum-great host with good food.
Regards,

Col J H Mayne
Old 10th October 2010, 19:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oct 25, noon onwards: Goa-Karwar-Ankola-Kumta-Honavar-MUrudeshwar (Hotel RNS, RNS Motel)
Oct 26: Murudeshwar-Bhatkal-Baindur-Maravanthe Beach-KUndapura-Udupi-Karkala-Kudremukh-Mudigere-Chickmagalur (Hotel Planter's Court)
Oct 27: Chickmagalur-Belur-Haleebidu-Hassan-Channarayapatna-Sravanabelagola-Tumkur
Oct 28: Tumkur-Chitradurga-Kudligi-Hospet-Hampi
Oct 29: Hampi-Bijapur-Solapur-Pune

This is going to be a whistlestop drive.
I suggest you drop Hampi from your itinerary since it takes at least 1 full day to see around Hampi, and you hardly get half a day, assuming a very early morning start from Tumkur.
Roads are also terrible from Chitradurga onwards, almost all the way, since even Nh9 between Indapur and Pune is being widened.
Oct 27 is going to be strenuous since the Sravanabelagola climb can be hectic.
So if you cut out Hampi, then you can have a little more relaxed tour in Chickmagalur, maybe you could go to Bhadra WLS, visit Belur-Haleebidu in evening and stay in Hassan on Oct 27 (Hotel Southern Star/Sri Krishna).
The next day, you could visit Sravanabelagola, then start off for Pune, staying overnight at Davangere (Hotel Pooja International). Sravanabelagola-Channarayapatna-Arsikere-Kadur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Honnali-Harihar/Davangere.

Also, you could make Oct 25 more interesting if you visit Om Beach near Gokarna.

Last edited by Amartya : 10th October 2010 at 22:21.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2010, 19:59   #4
Team-BHP Support

Its a bit late for planning not from a road point of view, but hotel bookings.

Places which I can think off:

1. Visit Gokarna
2. Drive down to Sagar for halt. (Visit Jog) (Via Honnavar NH17/Nh206)
3. Drive to Chikmagulur. (2 Days) (Bhadra/Shimoga/Kadur/CKM)
Visit Belur/Halebid
4 Drive to Pune. Fourth day. (CKM/Kadur/Bhadra/Harihar/Hubli/Pune)

Less places to visit and more relaxation

I thought of Murdeshwar, but thought it would be too much.

Last edited by ampere : 10th October 2010 at 20:00.
Old 10th October 2010, 22:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Oct 25, noon onwards: Goa-Karwar-Ankola-Kumta-Honavar-MUrudeshwar (Hotel RNS, RNS Motel)........

........The next day, you could visit Sravanabelagola, then start off for Pune, staying overnight at Davangere (Hotel Pooja International). Sravanabelagola-Channarayapatna-Arsikere-Kadur-Tarikere-Shimoga-Honnali-Harihar/Davangere.
Thanks a lot HVK! I think I'll do what you suggest and keep the Hampi & Badami sojourn for another vacation. That way, I'll be able to spend Oct 26 in Murudeshwar and surrounding areas and start for Chikmagalur on Oct 27 early morning. I just hope I'm able to get reservations in the hotels you've listed at such short notice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Its a bit late for planning not from a road point of view, but hotel bookings.
You're right ampere! Still, am keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Suggest a Homestay around Chik-stayed at Spectrum-great host with good food.
Regards,

Col J H Mayne
Colonel, can I trouble you for the contact details of Spectrum home stay?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th October 2010 at 22:19.
Old 10th October 2010, 23:52   #6
BHPian

Vikram, send me a pm for your needs in Chikmagalur. The owner of Spectrum is a good friend of mine. I can help you chalk out your trip down here.
Old 7th July 2013, 19:46   #7
BHPian

Karnataka 9 day trip, need inputs and fine tuning..

Hi Everyone,
I am planning a 9 day trip between 10-18 august,as per the below itinerary trying to cover Major portions of karnataka in this time frame.
Self and wife will be the only two people and looking at options of either :

1. Self drive ie, rental car
2. Cab hire for the full time
3. KSRTC and other buses

The itinerary seems doable, however , i will want to take inputs from the regulars in this route/itinerary and make the most of the 9 days. Help!!

10 August- bangalore- Mysore ( 150 KM)
In Mysore : planning to do Mysore palace, Zoo,Chamundi hills, St Philomena church and of course Brindavan garden . Night stay will be at Mysore

11 August - Mysore 1/2 day-coorg ( 120 Kms)
what ever is left out in the first day at mysore , reaching coorg by 3- 4 PM with night stay at coorg

12 August - Coorg NIght Stay
Between 11th evening and 12th full day am looking to cover
Talacauvery, bhagamandala, Bhagandeshwara, Abbey falls,Elephant camp , golden temple and Raja seats

question: have i budgeted enough time between 10-12 th to cover these places or do i need to budget more?

13 August Coorg- mookambikai-Udupi (190 Km) Night stay at Udupi
Early start, cover the mookambikai temple and reach udupi by evening and cover the shri krishna temple visit,

14 August Udupi - murudeshwara(102 KM)
st mary island, kapu, maple beachess etc and reach murudeshwara by night, for night stay.

15th August Murudeshwara- Jog falls- hampi? Or ( 300 Kms)
Murdeshwara- jog falls - Chitradurga Or
Murdheswara- Jog falls- shimoga

This day has thrown up enough challenges in terms of the finalization of the route, i plan to do hampi for sure and spend time there and on way back plan to cover chitradurga and vanivilas dam to reach bangalore and fly out..however, post murudeshwara, the route and road conditions are pretty clueless for me..i am aware that chitra durga - bangalore is decent

questions :
  • need inputs on the route to be followed on this day
  • have i budgeted too less time for covering the places within this day? given that i am attuned to driving myself on long stretches?
  • what is the condition of roads?
  • Will cab guys be able to pull this through?
16th August Hampi
i am assuming that i have reached either chitradurga or Hampi for the night on 15th , 16th will be at hampi full day and if possible night stay at hampi as well, dont know the available options there

17th August Chitradurga
full day at chitradurga and night stay,

18th August Chitradurga- vanivilas dam- bangalore by 1600 hrs-RTB
final day as per itinerary to catch flight by 1800 hrs to base.

sorry for the overload of information, by the itinerary that has been formulated i dont think that i will be able to cover this without having a rental cab at my disposal, though self dive will give me more flexibility however it will have repercussions in terms of finding the routes etc.

would it make sense to have a single cab guy from bangalore or do i arrange for bits and pieces ?

all inputs on stay options at the mentioned locations are appreciated

i have not kept any spare day and the itinerary seems extensive, time seems to be less, please point out the best possible manner to achieve this or do i need to cut out 1 location or visiting places?

thank you once again for the inputs.
Old 7th July 2013, 22:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Karnataka 9 day trip, need inputs and fine tuning..

I will suggest a single cab, or own car. Bits & pieces will work out expensive, and can be a pain.

Option:
After Jog, you could halt at Shimoga / Davangere, and then proceed to Hampi. From Hampi, come back to Chitradurga & then to BLR.

You can go from Shimoga to Harihar & then continue to Hospet & Hampi. No need to go to Chitradurga on this leg.
Old 7th July 2013, 22:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

We had done the B'lore - Mysore travel by road (hired cab) and almost the same itinerary too. Since you are travelling in the rainy season it might be good to provide a couple of days overall as buffer. Here again, having a rental cab would prove helpful, as local reservations can be made on the fly and would be easier to manage.

Please do not go for a bus option (unless you find a packaged tour that covers all the itinerary you have planned), or multiple cab hires. Since your itinerary seems to be full, it would be good if you avoid self-drive. This way you can rest when the driver drives, and the driver can rest when you go sight-seeing.

We had started from Bangalore and ended our tour at Coimbatore, since it saved us some time in the return flight. I don't remember if the cab fare was B'lore to B'lore or at actuals.
Old 8th July 2013, 05:24   #10
BHPian

There is no decent stay option at Hampi. try hotel Malligi at Hospet.
Old 8th July 2013, 06:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

I can advise only two things:
Your timings won't work for the first day.
BLR-Mys is like a grand train wreck in slow motion with everyone being on the highway on the weekend. So depending on when you reach BLR (Mysore is to the south) - you take a lot of time to get to Mysore. Plan for that - I doubt you'll sightsee as much.

Arrange a single trustworthy cabbie from BLR. Please check his papers including fitness certificate. We got "stranded" at the Kerala border on our trip in 2010 Dec when the RTO guys found his papers fake and refused to cut the kerala entry tax receipt. Its a bigger issue when going to next state, but thats a big thing to keep in mind IMO.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 07:39   #12
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 1 of the trip (Aug 10) being a Saturday, expect lot of traffic on Mysore Road (SH17) route.
Ways out of this are to start early (5am would be good) or take Bangalore-Kanakakapura(NH209)-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore route.

As others have suggested, better to hire a good cab at Bangalore for the entire trip, self drive will be quite tiring since your itinerary is quite packed.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2013, 19:00   #13
BHPian

Re: Need help with planning a trip in Karnataka

I do not have much knowledge, except for parts of Uttar Karnataka. But for the given dates, where monsoon would give some relief and good mix of sunlight and rainy weather, it makes sense to look for waterfalls.

Karnataka is blessed with several good ones. May be searching them and then planning around those places might help.
Old 12th July 2013, 06:29   #14
BHPian

Thanks a ton for the first day inputs, we are looking to start from Bangalore by 0530 only. Single driven cabbie seems to take the precedence. will keep in mind the papers of the person.

will come back in case i need more inputs
Old 12th July 2013, 06:54   #15
BHPian

There is a Karnataka State heritage site hotel in Hampi/ any inputs on to that ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks