Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2015, 14:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Golden Quadrilateral in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Day 5: Use AH1/NH25 using the route through the ganga Barrage (see joybhowmiks thread where he puts the route suggested by me). Much quicker and better that the official route through NH2 onto NH25.
Thanks for this info maps will never reveal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Also, given what I have heard about roads in Laluland Days 6 and 7 may be tough. Also, you may consider backtracking to Kanpur and taking NH2 from there towards Allahabad and on to Bihar. Remember Lucknow-Kanpur is only 100km.
Considering this, we may be flexible enough to cover some extra ground on Day 4 after Agra. That way we can visit Lucknow on Day5 and return to Kanpur for the night. Lucknow to Gaya/Bodhgaya via Kanpur might be stretching it if we wish to stick to driving during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
Day13: are you planning to be in chennai/pondy for the whole 2 night? if covering distance is your key, you might want to proceed further and cover few more kms on that day. would help you spend more time in Gokarna later on.
This trip is half covering the country, and half catching up with people we haven't met since college (6 years almost). We would be trying to cover stretches with not much to see or people to visit quicker. So, it will be one evening+night in Chennai and probably a greater part of the next day in Pondichery. We also have an entire day in Gokarna which should suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You are telling that the Alto Lxi is not a reliable car for this endeavor?
Pardon me for using the word reliable. Your thread was one of the first items on our research almost a year ago.
If it were only upto me I'd have done this trip much earlier in the Alto. Still love it to bits (which is why I have still retained it). But its only me who is used to finding comfort in its seats or changing gears to keep it in a good power-band. My friend sadly does not share my sentiments. Hence had to rule it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The route via Palanpura - Pali to hit Ajmer will have some beautiful stretches while the second option will have lots of traffic.
We are not hard and fast on it having to be GQ through and through. Will definitely prefer Palanpura-Pali-Ajmer if you say it has the better stretches and will get us to Jaipur in lesser or same time. This since we do not intend to halt at Udaipur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Roads in Laluland are good. I was there in September-October.

That said, GT road or NH2 makes infinitely more sense from Kanpur to Bodh Gaya. Bodh Gaya is just off the GT road (20 odd km, around 30min drive), and you will find good hotels there without having to enter the city at all. There is no need to go to Gaya.
We do have friends working in Gaya which was one of the reasons to consider it. But a hotel on GT road or Bodhgaya makes much sense. Will definitely consider this alternative. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Cardinal Rule: In the states of UP, BR, and WB you are advised to limit your driving to daylight hours strictly.
We are going to stick by this irrespective of whether we make it to our intended destination for the day.
Old 7th December 2015, 19:28   #32
BANNED

Re: Useful tips on the Golden Quadrilateral

One thing you can do id to proceed towards Palwal, then take SH222A and join the YE at the Palwal/Aligarh junction. Also, you may have bad fog and smog. On the 3rd December we did Gurgaon - Kanpur in all of 8-1/2 hours door-to-door incl stops. We had smof all the way to the Mathura turn off. On the YE I could not read the signs clearly and had my wife reading them for me. We started from Gurgaon Sector 54 at 8:00am and were home in Kanpur at 4:30pm. A hint - Ferozabad, go through the town and not the bypass.
Old 22nd December 2015, 01:34   #33

Hi, I'm the second guy Sephiroth mentioned in his post. We're planning to take our laptop along(Mac) and I wanted to check if anyone knows of a compatible app which we can use to log our travel. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 12:15   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth View Post
Friends,

Me and a friend of mine (non bhpian) are planning to cover the Golden Quadrilateral (with a few diversions) through 17 days,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjake47 View Post
...if anyone knows of a compatible app which we can use to log our travel. ...
Kaushik and JJake .. that is some trip you have been planning to take, kudos to both of you.
Do mention back about any good apps that you find to log the travel.
Old 16th January 2016, 07:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Kaushik and JJake .. that is some trip you have been planning to take, kudos to both of you.
Do mention back about any good apps that you find to log the travel.
We are on our way now. Thanks to everyone for their inputs. Will keep posted on how it goes
As for apps to log travel, we have started with a pen and paper .
Old 19th January 2016, 16:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjake47 View Post
We're planning to take our laptop along(Mac) and I wanted to check if anyone knows of a compatible app which we can use to log our travel. Any other suggestions are welcome as well.
you could use the trusted note or evernote. I like the evernote as it tracks your location as well. if a bit ambitious - try using iMovie to capture images, videos and notes
All the best for your trip. Drive safe!
Old 23rd January 2016, 18:07   #37
BHPian

We are halfway into the trip and quite on schedule although we tweaked our routes to also cover Mt. Abu, Chittorgarh and Bhangarh which were not part of our original plan.
Reached Kolkata last evening and took the day off today.
Took sir sgiitk's suggested route to get to bypass kanpur enroute to Lucknow and the route was a breeze. But the Kanpur Lucknow highway had bad tarmac, so chose to not exit via Kanpur but join AH1 at Allahabad via Rae Bareli. This road is great if covered early in the day in low traffic conditions.
Also encountered about 100 kms of unfinished stretches between Asansol and Durgapur. Will post details once in back home.
Plan to resume tomorrow for the second leg.
Old 9th October 2017, 23:38   #38
BHPian

Apoligies for bringing up an old thread, but found no other place to post my queries on a GQ ride I plan on doing sometime next year.

I've worked out a rough guide of the route and no. of days it may take if I go at an unhurried pace with sufficient rest days in between.

GQ Ride.docx

Needed advice on my planned route and if I need to include more rest days or change my 'End Point" based on the given route to lessen the riding time on some stretches based on the road condition and traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks