Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2010, 14:06   #1
BHPian

Route Advice: Delhi - Naukuchiatal

Need advice regarding route and road conditions for Delhi Naukuchiatal Delhi trip.
Planned dates are start on 31st October - noon / afternoon, if possible / required break for night at someplace en-route. Start on 1st morning to reach Naukuchiatal. Return is planned for 5th November, would like to reach back by early evening.

Need suggestion regarding
1. The best route in terms of road / traffic conditions.
2. Suggestions for a place to make a night halt.
3. For the outward trip suggestions for a scenic route can be considered as time will not be a constarint.
4. For the return journey the shortest route (time wise) would be preferred.

Look forward to all the suggestions.

Bharat
Old 26th October 2010, 15:36   #2
BHPian

Dear Bharat,

Naukuchiatal isn't very far away, and there are hardly ant good places en-route. I suggest that you do directly there; it is hardly 250 KMs (6 hrs) from Delhi.

There are two routes Delhi-Ghaziabad-Hapur-Muradabad-Rampur-Rudrapur-Haldwani-Kathgodam-Ranibagh(2 KMs from Kathgodam)-Bhimtal-Naukuchiatal and Delhi-Ghaziabad-Hapur-Muradabad-Bazpur-Kaladhungi-Haldwani-Kathgodam-Ranibagh(2 KMs from Kathgodam)-Bhimtal-Naukuchiatal.

As far as I know, both these routes are in a pretty bad shape nowadays. Though the Bazpur-Kaladhungi one will be a little better.

In my opinion, there is not much to do in Naukuchiatal for 3-4 days. Plan some excursions to near-by area liek Nainital/Mukteshwar etc.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 27th October 2010, 15:03   #3
BHPian

Thanks Nitin.
I am familiar with the routes, just wanted to know if there are any ineteresting places as offshoots available enroute.
Also I am keen to know the road condition after the monsoon.
I had last been up to Rudrapur in February, and it had taken us nearly 7 hours with a 45 minitute break in an Innova. Road condition and a couple of traffic jams being the main culprit.
As we can not start early on Sunday, we will hit Prime Sunday Traffic all through the way and hence the enquiry regarding break journey and the road conditions.
Bharat
Old 27th October 2010, 15:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, the roads are in a mess. You can PM Trance_Nut, he was up at Kausani recently. IIRC, he mentioned some bridge having been washed away near Kathgodam so he had to do a river crossing in his Safari
Old 27th October 2010, 15:13   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post

There are two routes Delhi-Ghaziabad-Hapur-Muradabad-Rampur-Rudrapur-Haldwani-Kathgodam-Ranibagh(2 KMs from Kathgodam)-Bhimtal-Naukuchiatal and Delhi-Ghaziabad-Hapur-Muradabad-Bazpur-Kaladhungi-Haldwani-Kathgodam-Ranibagh(2 KMs from Kathgodam)-Bhimtal-Naukuchiatal.

As far as I know, both these routes are in a pretty bad shape nowadays. Though the Bazpur-Kaladhungi one will be a little better.

In my opinion, there is not much to do in Naukuchiatal for 3-4 days. Plan some excursions to near-by area liek Nainital/Mukteshwar etc.

Cheers

Nitin
>>> Both roads are likely to be in optimal condition around mid November, in time for the busy touristy traffic in Dec-Jan. With the current road conditions as they are (bad surfaces), it might take you nearer seven hours to reach Naukuchiatal.

Naukuchiatal is ideal if you want to immerse yourself in nature; it is a bird lover's paradise. Otherwise four days will hang heavy for 'normal' tourism.

Regards, drive safe
Old 27th October 2010, 16:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
AFAIK, the roads are in a mess. You can PM Trance_Nut, he was up at Kausani recently. IIRC, he mentioned some bridge having been washed away near Kathgodam so he had to do a river crossing in his Safari
Thanks for the suggestion, will definitely check out with him.
Have planned a nice drive. No swimming planned, neither for the car nor self!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>> Both roads are likely to be in optimal condition around mid November, in time for the busy touristy traffic in Dec-Jan. With the current road conditions as they are (bad surfaces), it might take you nearer seven hours to reach Naukuchiatal.

Naukuchiatal is ideal if you want to immerse yourself in nature; it is a bird lover's paradise. Otherwise four days will hang heavy for 'normal' tourism.

Regards, drive safe
So, not only will I be facing bad roads but added to it will be half closure of lanes for re-carpeting for the "Tourist Season"! I seem to be going at the most inapropriate time.

We both are nature lovers and I plan to try my skills at some Bird Photography. Hence the idea to spend some time there, and possible trips to Sattal, which is again a good place for Bird Watching, I am told.
Old 17th September 2013, 09:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Route Advice: Delhi - Naukuchiatal

Bumping up an old thread. I plan to travel to Naukuchiatal in November (23-25 to be precise). Would need pointers on:

1. Current road condition.
2. Things to do and places to see
3. I presume it will be quite cold, so recommended clothing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks