PLAN
Day 1 - 8th Nov - Mumbai - Ganpatipule
Day 2 - Ganpatipule - Tarkarli
Day 4 - Tarkarli - Goa
Day 6 - Goa - Kolhapur
Day 7 - Kolahapur - Mumbai.
TEAM - me, my wife, my 4 year old kid and Suzuki SX4
QUERY
Stay - I have booked hotels in tarkarli/goa/kolahapur. Need tips for ganpatipule -nothing is available. any alternate villages in vicinity i can check?
Route
1. has any one tried the coastal roads between Ganpatipule - Tarkarli - Goa?
2. major confusion - which is the best route between Goa and Kolhapur - Road conditions post rainy season is a concern any feedback /tips?

Thanks in advance
J.L.Seagull
Old 1st November 2010, 13:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSeagull View Post
2. major confusion - which is the best route between Goa and Kolhapur - Road conditions post rainy season is a concern any feedback /tips?
At the moment,the best route is via Phonda Ghat(Via Radhanagari).It goes through the Bison Sanctuary.Road conditions are good.

If you are going from Panjim,then you could also try the NH4A via Ponda-Molem-Anmod-Londa-Khanapur-Belgaum-Kolhapur.Timewise it is going to take the same on both routes.I suspect NH4A would be faster.
Old 3rd November 2010, 11:21   #3

How is the gaganbawda route ?
Old 9th November 2010, 23:02   #4
BHPian

Between Gagan Bawda and the Phonda (Radhanagari) route, I would choose the latter personally as people tell me the Gagan Bawda route has more sudden turns. Otherwise not a bad option as lot of travels buses do that route almost on a daily basis.
Old 10th November 2010, 09:41   #5
BHPian

@ JLSeagull,
Here is the plan that will best suit for you:
1.Mumbai - Goa - As usual NH 17 (Mumbai - Goa National Highway)
2. Goa - Kolhapur - I will personally suggest to choose Gaganbawda route as except some sharp turns, the road in Karul Ghat which connects Kolhapur & Sindhudurg district is now very neat & has been newly built after the rains this year. (Goa - Sawantwadi - Gaganbawda - Kolhapur)
3. Kolhapur - Mumbai - As usual NH 4 (Pune - Banglore National Highway)
Old 18th November 2010, 10:21   #6
BHPian

Latest update.

I drove from Bombay to south Goa last week. Route was NH4 till Belgaum and NH4A from Belgaum to south Goa via Ponda.
NH4 is butter smooth all the way. did Bombay Belgaum in 6 hours, easy driving. The route through Belgaum is time consuming (approx 30 min) and the road is a bit rough for 10 km - NOT potholed, just a bit rough and uneven. Post That its smooth again all the way. Nh4A is not dividered, but sees little traffic. Once near Ponda be ready for literally Hundreds of dumper trucks. takes a bit of time navigating but its not too bad.
TIP : Go through Ponda town. If you use the GPS to guide you as I did, it will Take you on a road that bypasses Ponda. This "road" is just a potholed slushy 7km long car breaker. I made the mistake while going.
All in all the trip took 11 hours including 2 stops for food, 1 levelcrossing at Belgaum, 378 dumper trucks overtaken outside Ponda, and the 7km car breaker Ponda bypass.
Hope this helps
OT: The verna diesel returned 19.2kmpl with 4 adults and luggage, ac on 100%.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:27   #7
BHPian

>>>

Although a little dated, you might like to check the following thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...update-15.html from post # 214 on page 15 onwards for the road and traffic conditions on the routes between Mumbai - Goa.

Regards, drive safe

Last edited by issigonis : 18th November 2010 at 12:31. Reason: Corrected the grammar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks