Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2010, 11:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Banavasi - Route query

I have planned to drive down to Banavasi next weekend. Which would be the best route ?
1. Via Shimoga - Sagar - Sorabha - Banavasi
2. Via Shimoga - Shikaripura - Sorabha - Banavasi
3. Via Chitradurga - Haveri - Banavasi

Suggestions please. It would be a night drive both ways.

thanks,
Santosh
Old 4th November 2010, 12:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

The first route is very good. AFAIK the route is newly laid down and is wonderful. Near sorabha upto some kms the route is bad but drivable.
Old 4th November 2010, 13:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
The first route is very good. AFAIK the route is newly laid down and is wonderful. Near sorabha upto some kms the route is bad but drivable.
Thanks Shishir, I was assuming that you will post something on this as it is known area for you.
I was looking for more inputs of routes via Chitradurga.
Old 4th November 2010, 15:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

@Rk, be careful when approaching Shimoga, since the road work is going on and most of the roads are 2-way and lots of heavy vehicles will be playing and the roads are also very narrow. But sorry I don't know about Chitradurga route
Old 5th November 2010, 09:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

I second Shishi'r suggestion, in addition to that since I travelled via shimoga and Chitradurga just few weeks back I recommand via Chitradurga-Haveri. Excellant road with very less divervsion and almost no potholes. Shimoga route is very bad to be very honest, there are manay bad patches and no byepass road so more traffic and slowdown in day time driving.

Ravi.
Old 6th November 2010, 10:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
I second Shishi'r suggestion, in addition to that since I travelled via shimoga and Chitradurga just few weeks back I recommand via Chitradurga-Haveri. Excellant road with very less divervsion and almost no potholes. Shimoga route is very bad to be very honest, there are manay bad patches and no byepass road so more traffic and slowdown in day time driving.
Ravi.
I am little confused on this route given by google maps. From Haveri, what would the route ? Any idea.
Old 6th November 2010, 11:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

In Haveri bypass you take left turn climb down (really scary turn that is...) to Sirsi road. After Akki alur in Y fork right goes to hangal and left goes to sirsi, Within 1 km you get cross road, right goes to hangal and left goes to shimoga via Shiralkoppa. Continue straight to Sirsi. Within 5-10 km you cross Sammasgi and you can fvind left turn to banavasi via Andagi. But this 20km road condition I don't know. If you want safer road drive till sirsi and take left via Marikamba tmeple to enter Banavasi road. Only 20km extra if you drive via Sirsi. I suggest you try road via Andagi but check with locals before you venture out.

From harihara and Ranebennur area there are roads but don't trust those roads. Better routes: haveri-sirsi-banavasi, shimoga-sagar-sorab-banavasi, haveri-Andagi-banavasi. Have a nice time, combine few places around Sirsi too If you have time.

Regards,

Ravi,
Old 6th November 2010, 23:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
In Haveri bypass you take left turn climb down (really scary turn that is...) to Sirsi road. After Akki alur in Y fork right goes to hangal and left goes to sirsi, Within 1 km you get cross road, right goes to hangal and left goes to shimoga via Shiralkoppa. Continue straight to Sirsi. Within 5-10 km you cross Sammasgi and you can fvind left turn to banavasi via Andagi. But this 20km road condition I don't know. If you want safer road drive till sirsi and take left via Marikamba tmeple to enter Banavasi road. Only 20km extra if you drive via Sirsi. I suggest you try road via Andagi but check with locals before you venture out.

From harihara and Ranebennur area there are roads but don't trust those roads. Better routes: haveri-sirsi-banavasi, shimoga-sagar-sorab-banavasi, haveri-Andagi-banavasi. Have a nice time, combine few places around Sirsi too If you have time.

Regards,

Ravi,
This is the reason why always we need to rely on tbhp. First hand info. Thanks a lot Ravi.
Also can you suggest places in and around Banavasi. We intend to reach Banavasi on Saturday morning and stay till sunday morning or afternoon.
Old 11th November 2010, 09:58   #9
BHPian

@Santosh,
This blog has some info on places to visit in Banavasi. Also, if you have time you can go to Sirsi and visit any of these places. They are quiet near to each other:
1. Satoddi Falls
2. Magod Falls
3. Jenukallu Gudda
4. Sahasra Linga
5. Sode Mutt

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks