Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 22:05   #1

Mumbai to Cochin in 7 days (Vacation)

I am currently posted at Mumbai and expecting a transfer to Cochin in late Dec/Early Jan. We are a family of 4 and own a Honda Jazz. We would love to drive down to Cochin from Mumbai at a leisurely pace (Not more than 300- 400 Km a day) taking halts in between and complete the trip in 5-7 days. I have checked various threads and found that the emphasis is mostly on reaching 'as quickly as possible'. However, our intention is to drive and take a 'vacation', could any experienced BHP-ian help me out with some valuable suggestions regarding the (1) Route (2) Recommended Halts (3) Any other nuances if any !
Old 8th November 2010, 00:38   #2
BHPian

Try to avoid NH17 in kannur , kasargod districts of kerala . NH17 up to goa is also not in good shape(hearsay) . Dakshin kannada , Udupi districts in Karnataka also may be avoided . This is based on personnel experience and not hearsay . Beyond these areas please take valuable advice from fellow bhpians .
Old 8th November 2010, 09:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Although NH17 is currently in a bad shape in some parts, expect it to be repaired by the time you travel.

I think nothing beats NH17 for sheer pleasure of driving and scenic places en route. I suggest the following route (NH17):

Bombay-Panvel-Pen-Mahad-Khed-Chiplun-Hathkamba-Rajapur-Kanakavali-Savantwadi-Panaji (Goa)-Madgaon-Karwar-Ankola-Kumta-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bhatkal-Baindur-Maravanthe-Kundapura-Udupi-Mangalore-Kasargod-Kannur-Calicut-Kuttipuram-Kunnamkulam-Chavakkad-Paravur-Kochi.

Places for overnight halt, bearing your criteria of 300-500 kms daily drive:
(R indicates religious place):

[Ganapatipule-Tarkarli]-[Goa-Gokarna-Murudeshwar (R)]-[Maravanthe Beach-Udupi (R)-Bekal Fort/Beach]-Kochi
Old 8th November 2010, 09:42   #4
v&v
Senior - BHPian

As rightly said by HVK, NH17 a pleasure to drive but the the co passengers will take the toll of winding roads and high truck traffic. it will be tiring too.

I did recently delhi - pandalam trip. We took Mumbai - Pune - Blr - Teni - Kottayam - Pandalam.

if you intend to drive 400 kms, then take the first break at Satara. if you wish you can visit Kass too. Next stop can be Kolhapur/Belgaum - Shop around there.
Then of course BLR. And finally in 10-12 hrs you can reach easily kerala.
Again from BLR - 2 routes -
1. BLR - Dindigul - Teni - Kumili - Kottayam
2. BLR - Salem - Palakkad - Trichur - EKm
Old 8th November 2010, 10:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
As rightly said by HVK, NH17 a pleasure to drive but the the co passengers will take the toll of winding roads and high truck traffic. it will be tiring too.
I will not agree with you on that, for having taken my dad who was past 77 on the NH17 after many trips on the NH4 I was surprised to hear him say he never wanted to go on the NH4 again. He said he'd rather go on the NH17 which had little towns coming up ever so often and people and villages to see than just the boring concrete and tar of the NH4. It's not that bad on the twsties of the NH17 either if you enjoy a good drive that keeps you awake and alert. The roads are much nicer than they used to be earlier. The only thing you have to be wary about is oncoming traffic that is overtaking another vehicle. The only good thing about the NH4 is that its safer but then agin you can meet up someone going the wrong way headon there. I don't believe the NH17 tires you any more than the NH4. If one needs to drive at a leisurely pace and have a vacation with halts over a period of 5-7 days then the NH17 scores over the NH4

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 8th November 2010 at 10:05.
Old 12th November 2010, 00:03   #6

thank you all, especially hvkumar for your valuable inputs !!! I am not particularly fond of camping at religious places...but ganapatipule.....goa....udupi sounds just fine !
Old 12th November 2010, 09:41   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Although NH17 is currently in a bad shape in some parts, expect it to be repaired by the time you travel.

I think nothing beats NH17 for sheer pleasure of driving and scenic places en route. I suggest the following route (NH17):

Bombay-Panvel-Pen-Mahad-Khed-Chiplun-Hathkamba-Rajapur-Kanakavali-Savantwadi-Panaji (Goa)-Madgaon-Karwar-Ankola-Kumta-Honavar-Murudeshwar-Bhatkal-Baindur-Maravanthe-Kundapura-Udupi-Mangalore-Kasargod-Kannur-Calicut-Kuttipuram-Kunnamkulam-Chavakkad-Paravur-Kochi.

Places for overnight halt, bearing your criteria of 300-500 kms daily drive:
(R indicates religious place):

[Ganapatipule-Tarkarli]-[Goa-Gokarna-Murudeshwar (R)]-[Maravanthe Beach-Udupi (R)-Bekal Fort/Beach]-Kochi
HVK,
If roads are in bad shape, isn't taking a left from Honavar and using NH 206 upto Tumkur and then using the Bangalore route ,a good idea?

I think that way, they can enjoy NH17 till Karwar,Honavar and then if interested take great view of Jog Falls.
By this,they can enjoy NH17 (Goa and upto Karwar),then have a great travel through Karnataka ,then Tamil Nadu.

If Bangalore deviation is too lengthy, they can take diversion to Mysore from NH206(from Arsikere or somewhere--Not sure about road conditions) and using Wayanad or Nadugani-Nilambur route further.

Last edited by mykal shoemaker : 12th November 2010 at 09:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks