Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2010, 08:35   #1
BANNED

Kannur vs Kappad - which has better roads/beaches from Bangalore-Wayanad ?

Hi

We are a planning a trip to Wayanad in December and will be spending a few nights near Kalpetta/Panavaram.

We are also planning to add 2-3 nights of beach holiday in addition

Please help with following questions:

- From Bangalore, which is a better motorable road to a north Kerala beach ? Kannur or Kappad?

- Which of these 2 will be easier to do from Wayanad (Kalpetta side?)

- I believe the road to Kunnur goes through Kutta and Virajpet ? I have read these are not in good condition. Is that true?

Please remember easy motorability and accessibility is very importnat since I will be alone with my wife and small child - so dont want to take the hassle of going somewhere where the road is terrible

My intution says go to Wayanad via Sulthan Battery - Kalpetta and proceed to Kappad.

Some reviews say Kannur beach is better and it may be worth going through Kutta.

So please help choose between the two destination to add to our Wayand trip.

Thanks
Manish
Old 8th November 2010, 09:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

From Kalpetta, the closest and better beach would be Kappad. Go via Calicut. You do not have to enter the city. On hitting the bypass, go north on NH17 towards NH17 16 kms and you will reach Kappad (2 kms off NH17).

2 other beaches on this route are Muzhapilangad which is at Talaserry (between Calicut & Kannur) and Bekal (between Kanhangad & Kasargod).
Old 8th November 2010, 11:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk13 View Post
Hi

We are a planning a trip to Wayanad in December and will be spending a few nights near Kalpetta/Panavaram.

Thanks
Manish
A couple of years ago we stayed in NC Garden Beach resort (NC Gardens & Beach Resorts) about 15kms south of Calicut in the Malappuram district and liked it. You may want to look at their website and reviews. No need to go to Calicut town to go to this beach resort.
Old 8th November 2010, 11:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk13 View Post
Hi

Please help with following questions:

- From Bangalore, which is a better motorable road to a north Kerala beach ? Kannur or Kappad?

- Which of these 2 will be easier to do from Wayanad (Kalpetta side?)

- I believe the road to Kunnur goes through Kutta and Virajpet ? I have read these are not in good condition. Is that true?

Please remember easy motorability and accessibility is very importnat since I will be alone with my wife and small child - so dont want to take the hassle of going somewhere where the road is terrible

My intution says go to Wayanad via Sulthan Battery - Kalpetta and proceed to Kappad.

Some reviews say Kannur beach is better and it may be worth going through Kutta.

So please help choose between the two destination to add to our Wayand trip.

Thanks
Manish
From Kalpetta, closest is Kappad. From Kappad, you can also visit Calicut city and the beach there. Also, You have a small port in Beypore around 10km towards south west. In Beypore there is a walk way that goes around 2km inside the sea. This is actually meant for increasing the water level for small ships to enter the port. Calicut city is around 20km from Kappad towards south and the mentioned beach in Kannur is around 70KM towards north. If you want you can stay in Kappad beach resort in Kappad. My personal view is that, it is better to take any good hotel in Calicut and explore Kappad, Beypore and other neighbouring areas by car. In my opinioin this is more economical.
Regards,
Sarin
Old 16th August 2013, 11:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kannur vs Kappad - which has better roads/beaches from Bangalore-Wayanad ?

Which is the best route(=decent road for a sedan) from Kalpetta to Kappad beach?

Google gives me this: http://goo.gl/maps/73de4
Old 16th August 2013, 12:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Kannur vs Kappad - which has better roads/beaches from Bangalore-Wayanad ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Which is the best route(=decent road for a sedan) from Kalpetta to Kappad beach?

Google gives me this: http://goo.gl/maps/73de4
The route is ok. The stretch between Nanmanda to Chikilode has road dug up at the sides for pipe work, but not a major worry. Mind you the road referred are not state highways, but are decent interior roads.

If you want to stick to the highway then there are two alternates

1. Instead of diverting in between Tamarassery-Balussery stretch, go straight to Balussery, proceed towards Koyilandy via Ulliyeri and then again left at NH17

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...via=1&t=m&z=12

2. Else instead of diverting off the highway at Tamarassery, continue straight towards Calicut, turn right once you hit the Calicut by-pass at Malaparamba and then reach NH via Atholi. This is NH all through, and easier to follow

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...via=1&t=m&z=11

Last edited by mallumowgli : 16th August 2013 at 12:52.
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks