Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2010, 23:12   #1
BHPian

Route Query - Mumbai-Bhopal-Allahabad-Lucknow and back

Hi Friends,

My SIL's marriage has given me the opportunity to take the Safari for its first real outing. Will be leaving on Saturday morning. The marriage is in Lucknow, my folks are based in Bhopal and my in laws in Allahabad, and this is the plan

So the route is Mumbai- Bhopal - Allahabad and then Lucknow (with the extended family).

Phase A - Mumbai - Bhopal

Will leave on saturday morning (as early as possible) will take Eastern Express Highway from Powai and take the NH 3 through Nashik - Dhulia - Sendhwa - Mhow - Indore (bypass) - Dewas and reach Bhopal.

Have done this earlier in my Accent, and the only niggle was the MH-MP border (about 45 kms before Sendhwa) the rest of the road was fine. It was mild to heavy on traffic at times, but not as heavy as say the old Mumbai - Goa route.

Also, I expect time taken for the ~ 800 kms to be lesser than before as both the ghats are simpler to tackle with Kasara a one way and Khalghat getting tunnels.

The key remain to leave as early as possible on Sat, which looks tough as wifey is reaching Mumbai early Sat morning itself. But what should be my cut off to leave so as to make it to Bhopal in time by say 2100 Hrs max.

Phase B - Bhopal - Allahabad

Now, this is the unknown territory for me. So chose the keeping in mind the road conditions and safety.

Bhopal - Raisen - Jabalpur - Maihar - Rewa - Allahabad

I will have to take the Bhopal route, as i want the night halt at my place, and hence the Mumbai - Nagpur - Jabalpur route is not on.

Awaiting some expert advice, opinions, suggestions and guidelines.

Cheers, slicks

Last edited by slicks : 18th November 2010 at 23:20.
Old 19th November 2010, 10:42   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
Hi Friends,

My SIL's marriage has given me the opportunity to take the Safari for its first real outing. Will be leaving on Saturday morning. The marriage is in Lucknow

Welcome to Lucknow (in advance)!

Regarding Bhopal - Allahabad, the other option could be Bhopal-Sagar-Chatarpur-Panna-Satna-Rewa-Allahabad. I am not sure which one would be shorter. Road condition-wise, both may be similar.

Rewa-Allahabad is terrible. Once you leave NH7 at Mangawan (approx 20 kms after Rewa), taking a left onto Allahabad, terrible road starts! Out of this stretch of 95 kms, only 20-30 kms will be OK, rest is big craters, potholes, completely broken road, partly broken road, etc. But, in Safari, not much to worry, you can manage with reduced speed in 3rd gear! We passed through it in May-June 2010, but were only 2 gents in Safari, so was not much of a problem. Try to pass through it in day light (be reminded it becomes dark after 5 pm nowdays)

Will be glad to meet you at Lucknow if your schedule permits.
Happy journey
Old 22nd November 2010, 03:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicks View Post
Phase B - Bhopal - Allahabad

Now, this is the unknown territory for me. So chose the keeping in mind the road conditions and safety.

I will have to take the Bhopal route, as i want the night halt at my place, and hence the Mumbai - Nagpur - Jabalpur route is not on.

Awaiting some expert advice, opinions, suggestions and guidelines.

Cheers, slicks
The best route from bhopal to allahabad is
BHOPAL - SAGAR - CHATTARPUR - PANNA - SATNA - REWA - ALLAHABAD

Rewa to allahabad is 128 kms but 20 kms stretch in Garh is very bad. There is another option which is 136 kms and its REWA - BAKINTHPUR - LALGAON - KATRA - ALLAHABAD This route is very good and it takes less time to reach allahabad. Its a single road and there is no traffic on this road. I usually travel by this route every month.
Old 23rd November 2010, 21:16   #4
BHPian

Reached Allahabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Welcome to Lucknow (in advance)!
Rewa-Allahabad is terrible. Once you leave NH7 at Mangawan (approx 20 kms after Rewa), taking a left onto Allahabad, terrible road starts! Out of this stretch of 95 kms, only 20-30 kms will be OK, rest is big craters, potholes, completely broken road, partly broken road, etc.
Will be glad to meet you at Lucknow if your schedule permits. Happy journey
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungeek View Post
The best route from bhopal to allahabad is
BHOPAL - SAGAR - CHATTARPUR - PANNA - SATNA - REWA - ALLAHABAD
Rewa to allahabad is 128 kms but 20 kms stretch in Garh is very bad.
Thanks LDL and gungeek!

Well, we reached Allahabad last evening, and what a trip this was. It took one extra day for the Bhopal to Allahabad part as we did not want to traverse this in the dark, so decided to stay put in Jabalpur.

So, the mistake that we made was taking the Bhopal - Hoshangabad -Jabalpur road, the road till Hoshangabad was really bad. and then the rest of the journey was on two lane toll roads which went through every possible village enroute. So was able to do 350 odd kms in 9 hrs. What a waste.

Then we started from Jabalpur and took the Katni-Maihar-Rewa Allahabad route. And were quite happy with the progress that we made till we crossed Rewa.

The part around Garh as both of you mentioned, was so BAD, so BAD that we could not believe that was a NH. I actually drove on 4H for 15 Kms or so in this part. You were right, had we been in any other vehicle apart from the Safari this would not have been possibe.

Really bad roads. Have put some pics from the the Rewa-Allahabad stretch at the end of the post.

But still enjoyed the drive and as we had the extra reserve day we were ok on time and with night halting at Jabalpur. So total distance covered from Andheri (E), Mumbai to Phulpur, Allahabad = 1648 kms

My plan to go back is through the Allahabad Bypass - NH2 -Fatehpur - Alipur - Bhognipur- Shivpuri - Guna - Indore route, and halt at Indore.

This is the best road in the region I am told. Pls let me know what you guys think of this.

@gungeek - Im an in Allahabad till 26th, and will be in the civil lines area tomorrow and day after during day time. Would love to meet up for a chai/ coffee, and the CJ 3A is something I'd love to see.

@LDL - Will be in LKO on 27-28th, and can sneek out from the marrige for a short meeting with you , just that will be difficult for me to tell you when. Will coordinate the same with you over phone.

I am PMSing both of you my cell no.

Cheers, slicks
Attached Thumbnails
Route Query - Mumbai-Bhopal-Allahabad-Lucknow and back-img_0229.jpg  

Route Query - Mumbai-Bhopal-Allahabad-Lucknow and back-img_0235.jpg  

Route Query - Mumbai-Bhopal-Allahabad-Lucknow and back-img_0242.jpg  

Route Query - Mumbai-Bhopal-Allahabad-Lucknow and back-img_0243.jpg  

Route Query - Mumbai-Bhopal-Allahabad-Lucknow and back-img_0265.jpg  

Old 14th December 2010, 00:39   #5
BHPian

Re: Route Query - Mumbai-Bhopal-Allahabad-Lucknow and back

Hi slicks,
Sorry i missed your message as i was out of town, we will meet for sure when ever u visit next time to allahabad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks