Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:39   #1
BHPian

Mahabalipuram, Vellore Golden Temple, and what else?

I am planning to visit Mahabalipuram and Vellore Golden temple during the Thanksgiving weekend, 25th to 28th. If not 4 days, I would like to utilize at least 3 days. Which other nearby places can be included and in which order do i visit them? I like my trip to be in a relaxed manner without rushing from one place to another. Please suggest the best route that i can take - i stay in K.R.Puram and how about taking the Chitoor-Vellore route? For 25th night, i have booked Highland Shoreline. Please help me plan my trip. Will be travelling in my 6-month old Alto with my wife and 2 kids. Also, please let me know the "BAD ROADS" that i need to avoid.
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:44   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Pondicherry can be included too. Please stick to hosur - krishnagiri route. Chitoor - vellore I hear is having work being done. Not sure of the current condition. Better avoided.
Old 24th November 2010, 08:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
I am planning to visit Mahabalipuram and Vellore Golden temple during the Thanksgiving weekend, 25th to 28th.
Start from BLR early morning, take the Krishnagiri-Vellore route ONLY as the other route is still under construction. First visit the golden temple as it is enroute. Also consider visiting Amirthi forest in Vellore for a change.

Come back to Chennai the same day evening/night & take rest; Next day morning you can start to Mahabalipuram; when you've kids, take them to MGM Dizee world or Croc park enroute to Mahhabalipuram.

Have your lunch at Mahabalipuram & leave to Pondicherry to spend the evening. Next day, take a visit to Aurobindo ashram & then have lunch & leave towards BLR from Pondicherry.
Old 24th November 2010, 08:43   #4
BHPian

Vellore Golden Temple is best seen in the evening time - 7-8pm.
You can include Yelagiri hills in your list.
Old 24th November 2010, 09:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

On the way back from Pondicherry hit NH66 till Gingee/TV Malai. But roads are pretty bad.
Old 24th November 2010, 18:46   #6
BHPian

Thanks for all ur inputs. Tentative plan is to start at 8 am [tomorrow morning, 25th Nov] from Bangalore and visit Kanipakkam near Chitoor. Then, go to Vellore and visit the Golden Temple in the evening and night halt at Vellore. Next morning, start from Vellore and reach Mahabalipuram. Stay at Mahabalipuram until next afternoon. After that, might visit Pondicherry or Chennai, night halt, and return to Bangalore next day.

Now, my concern is, is Chitoor-Vellore route too bad or manageable? I had travelled this route 2 years back and had no issues with the road condition.

One more dilemma is, if i go to Pondycherry last and return to Bangalore from there, do i have to take the longer route via Mahabalipuram in order to avoid bad roads?

Now, everything depends on the Chitoor-Vellore road condition! Is it very bad? - I definetely don't want to mess up the suspension of my 6-month old Alto
Old 24th November 2010, 19:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more dilemma is, if i go to Pondycherry last and return to Bangalore from there, do i have to take the longer route via Mahabalipuram in order to avoid bad roads?
Not required. You can return back via Tindivanam-Gingee-Arani-Vellore-Bangalore.

You can get more info from the below threads

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...-required.html

-Ravi
Old 24th November 2010, 20:18   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for all ur inputs. Tentative plan is to start at 8 am [tomorrow morning, 25th Nov] from Bangalore and visit Kanipakkam near Chitoor. Then, go to Vellore and visit the Golden Temple in the evening and night halt at Vellore. Next morning, start from Vellore and reach Mahabalipuram. Stay at Mahabalipuram until next afternoon. After that, might visit Pondicherry or Chennai, night halt, and return to Bangalore next day.

Now, my concern is, is Chitoor-Vellore route too bad or manageable? I had travelled this route 2 years back and had no issues with the road condition.

Now, everything depends on the Chitoor-Vellore road condition! Is it very bad? - I definetely don't want to mess up the suspension of my 6-month old Alto
I think its advisable you avoid the Chitoor-Vellore road; it's quite a bumpy ride!

I recently came back from Pondicherry to Bangalore through the NH66, the road is in a slightly bad condition; it is a 2 lane highway with no dividers. So, your speed goes down.
The Mahabalipuram route is longer but a blissful road; especially driving parallel to the ocean on ECR!

Do plan to make a stop at Auroville; it is about 15km before Pondicherry.. beautiful place. It would take about 3 hours to check it out completely. In Auroville, there is this "Matrimandir", a very unique "temple"; something you would really love to visit. You can check it out online.
Btw, important thing about it. Only some 50 visitors are allowed to enter it everyday. There is a booking for it which can be done only in person the earlier day. If you have a booking, you are allowed to enter the temple from 9am to 10am.
Missed it during my trip!
Old 24th November 2010, 20:35   #9
BHPian

If Kanipakkam is a must, you can stick to this plan. Chittor to Vellore is only around 30kms. So don't bother much.

Now, Vellore to Mahabalipuram is the worst stretch in your entire trip. You have to go thro' bad roads and dense towns like Kanchipuram and Chengalpet. I did this route last month and it was very bad.

I would suggest you go to Pondy from Vellore (slightly better route - Arni-Gingee-Tindivanam). Pondy is a wonderful town, peaceful, with must-see-places like Auroville, Aurobindo ashram, Manakkula Vinayagar temple, nice shops, and the beautiful BEACH road. Try booking a Beach resort. There are many with instant access to the Beach.

Compared to Pondy, there is not much in Mahab's. If you still wanna go, take the ECR to Chennai and on the way spend some 2 hours in Mahabs.

From Chennai to Bangalore, you can take the GQ thereby avoiding the bad routes from Pondy to Krishnagiri.

Last edited by ch.nathan : 24th November 2010 at 20:39.
Old 25th November 2010, 00:43   #10
BHPian

Off-beat section.

If you are a nature loving guy, Chennai-Mahabs ECR is a must.

- Stop by at the coniferous outgrowths between ECR and the beach a little away from Chennai towards Mahabs.
- Water sport at Mudaliarkuppam (Is this still functional, fellow madrasis?)
- Relax at Tiger caves - 5 km before Mahabs. Least crowded, beautiful green lawns, palm trees, caves, huge leaning rock and the beach behind the park.
- Visit one of the resorts on the coast Fisherman's cove, Temple Bay, Chariots. A bit on the expensive side, but you can see the facilities for sure.

If you are a temple person, TVMalai route, make sure you climb the Gingee fort enroute (ideal weather now to scale it) Worth the effort.

There is another thing probably you could do, from Bangalore when you approach Chennai either via NH206 or NH4 take the Chennai bypass road. If you touch Poonamallee go towards Porur and then take the Chennai bypass flyover. This will join NH46, go to the Vandalur Zoo (great place, great shade, nice walks) and then behind the zoo there is a road which will take you to Kelambakkam and further to the ECR.

Anyway, few hours to go for you before you start (now I realize) Too late! Have a great trip and let us know about it.
Old 28th November 2010, 17:54   #11
BHPian

Back from my trip.....

Route taken was Bangalore - Kanipakkam - Vellore - Sripuram Golden Temple - Vellore - Kancheepuram - Chengelpet - Mahabalipuram - Chennai - Vellore - Krishnagiri - Hosur - Bangalore.

Chittoor bypass road is in bad shape, 4-5 kms, after which you take a left to Kanipakkam.

Chitoor to Vellore road is not that bad, slightly deteriorated here and there.....had no issues doing this stretch.

Kancheepuram-Chengelpet roads are not good.

Return journey via Chennai is very good, except for heavy traffic at Chennai - crossed Chennai around 5 pm......Many TOLL Booths in this route, but the best route for night journey with Median throughout the stretch.
Old 11th May 2012, 14:31   #12
BHPian

Re: Mahabalipuram, Vellore Golden Temple, and what else?

Folks - is summer now a good time to visit Mahabalipuram? How will the weather be?
Old 11th May 2012, 15:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Folks - is summer now a good time to visit Mahabalipuram? How will the weather be?
The weather in Chennai is very hot so I am assuming that it would extend to Mahabalipuram as well. It should be hot there too so if you are not used to it might be difficult. Early mornings and evenings should be fine though. Are you planning to come down from Bangalore (based on your location) only for Mahabalipuram or does it include any other nearby places as well??
Old 25th May 2012, 11:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
The weather in Chennai is very hot so I am assuming that it would extend to Mahabalipuram as well. It should be hot there too so if you are not used to it might be difficult. Early mornings and evenings should be fine though. Are you planning to come down from Bangalore (based on your location) only for Mahabalipuram or does it include any other nearby places as well??
Thanks for the reply. I did come from bangalore to Mahabalipuram. Though the weather was extremely hot, we still did manage to weather it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks