Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2018, 13:47   #16

re: Chennai - Trichy - Coimbatore - Chennai : Route Queries

Is there anyone who has done this route recently.
Will need to travel to Coimbatore from Trichy and Google suggests 3 different routes. Wanted to check the best possible way to reach.

Thanks.
frozentears is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 14:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozentears View Post
Trichy-Karur-Vellakoil-Kangeyam-Palladam would be the one. Trichy-Karur is partially 4-laned between Mayanur and Karur bypass.

Chatram Bus Stand-Jeeyapuram is narrow and progressively widens to a super wide 2-lane with shoulder.

I haven't personally done the Karur-CBE section, but it was made into a wide 2-laner few years back.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 22:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozentears View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Trichy-Karur-Vellakoil-Kangeyam-Palladam would be the one. Trichy-Karur is partially 4-laned between Mayanur and Karur bypass.
You are right about the initial narrow road starting from Trichy, eventually it turns out to be a good high way until Karur. After Karur, it doesn't have medians, but still a good wide road till CBE. traffic increases as you near CBE.

Last edited by ampere : 27th March 2018 at 22:37. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
gunsho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 23:56   #19
BHPian

The karur route does not need a bypass, since it doesn't even get into Trichy city.
I have done multiple trips when i was in my college days, and I did my college there in Trichy.

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2018 at 09:33. Reason: Editing out personal comments. Please desist!
Old 28th March 2018, 00:09   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
The karur route does not need a bypass, since it doesn't even get into Trichy city.
Can you explain this better? If someone plans to enter Trichy via the old NH67 (from Karur) and head to Tanjore/Kumbakonam what are the options?

As per you this route does not enter Trichy city. Then what is your suggestion for someone to get to Trichy-Tanjore 4-lane ?

Last edited by GTO : 30th March 2018 at 09:33. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 28th March 2018, 09:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As per you this route does not enter Trichy city. Then what is your suggestion for someone to get to Trichy-Tanjore 4-lane ?
There are essentially 2 ways I can think of:

1. Get off NH67 at Kulithalai and take the 6 km Kaveri bridge to Musiri and take Musiri-Number 1 Tollgate. Turn left and you'll meet the Madras-Trichy 4-lane. Take a right and from here its straightforward.

2. NH67 itself continues all the way till NH45 through Chatram. It will intersect alongside Kollidam bridge on bypass. You can take a left here to go towards Madras (I drove this way last month). Am not sure a right turn exists here, you might have to cross Kollidam and take an U-turn towards southbound direction.

Apart from the old NH45-NH45B which has been in existence since my childhood. The rest of the 3 quarters i.e North to West (NH45 to NH67) and West to South (NH67 to NH45 to Dindigul) doesn't have an official bypass. You will cross parts of the city to connect to the respective highways, which doesn't take too much time.
Old 28th March 2018, 10:02   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Get off NH67 at Kulithalai and take the 6 km Kaveri bridge to Musiri and take Musiri-Number 1 Tollgate. Turn left and you'll meet the Madras-Trichy 4-lane. Take a right and from here its straightforward.

2. NH67 itself continues all the way till NH45 through Chatram. It will intersect alongside Kollidam bridge on bypass. You can take a left here to go towards Madras (I drove this way last month). Am not sure a right turn exists here, you might have to cross Kollidam and take an U-turn towards southbound direction.
This is exactly what I was confused on what the @OP meant. Because either way you have to come to some part of the city. Coming to Chatram itself will then be crowded. And if one has to cross at Kulithalai and come via Toll Gate, there is enough traffic choke point here as well.

Quote:
Apart from the old NH45-NH45B which has been in existence since my childhood. The rest of the 3 quarters i.e North to West (NH45 to NH67) and West to South (NH67 to NH45 to Dindigul) doesn't have an official bypass. You will cross parts of the city to connect to the respective highways, which doesn't take too much time.
Exactly. This is what I was referring to. NH45/45B have clean bypasses, which even I have used 2-3 times. But always struggled whenever I had to use either Thuraiyur entry or Karur entry routes to go past the city toward Tanjore. (especially when going past Srirangam and Chatram when taking the Karur option).
Old 28th March 2018, 10:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming to Chatram itself will then be crowded. And if one has to cross at Kulithalai and come via Toll Gate, there is enough traffic choke point here as well.
I had lunch at Shri Sangeetha's and left for Madras. It was not so bad. Took me 10 mins to get on Kollidam bridge.

Getting from TVS tollgate to Dindigul 4-lane also isn't all that bad < 30 min, now that Aristo bridge is complete, the major choke point has eased off.

Musiri-Tollgate is moving traffic. Back in the days, Uthamarkoil railway gate was a major point but once the bridge was constructed it has eased out considerably. Number 1 Tollgate can hardly be called a choke point, traffic keeps moving.

All said and done, its not going to be sustainable say a decade or so down the line. Even today, its not a breeze during all times of the day.

Quote:
I had to use either Thuraiyur entry or Karur entry routes to go past the city toward Tanjore. (especially when going past Srirangam and Chatram when taking the Karur option).
Why Srirangam when coming from Thuraiyur/Musiri ? Thuraiyur route intersects SH25 (Trichy-Musiri-Thottiyam-Namakkal) at Nochiyam which is 3 km from Number 1 Tollgate. The route 1 mentioned above takes care of it. You cross both Kollidam and Kaveri on the bypass not from the city bridge.

Infact, Unless I am visiting Tiruvanaikoil or Srirangam, I never venture through the city.
Old 28th March 2018, 10:45   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why Srirangam when coming from Thuraiyur/Musiri ? Thuraiyur route intersects SH25 (Trichy-Musiri-Thottiyam-Namakkal) at Nochiyam which is 3 km from Number 1 Tollgate. The route 1 mentioned above takes care of it. You cross both Kollidam and Kaveri on the bypass not from the city bridge.
Not Musiri/Thuraiyur. Only when I use the Karur highway to enter the city. Else as you said, its always toll gate.

Also now thanks to the V Koot Road - Veppur - Vriddhachalam, Trichy usage has kind of reduced to only if I need to head to Tanjore. And use the V Koot road - Veppur for Kumbakonam.

Last edited by ampere : 28th March 2018 at 10:50.
Old 29th March 2018, 08:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not Musiri/Thuraiyur. Only when I use the Karur highway to enter the city.
From Karur (NH67) there is no necessity to go towards Tiruvanaikoil/ Srirangam. This is what I would take.
Old 29th March 2018, 08:40   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From Karur (NH67) there is no necessity to go towards Tiruvanaikoil/ Srirangam.
Correct me if I am wrong. Isn't this section which came up in the last few years? I remember some construction going along the river side (Along SH22?). Hence I had to go further up beyond Srirangam and taking the road before Kollidam. Have not driven in the last 3 years on this section and primarily use NH532 in the recent times.
Old 19th February 2022, 08:39   #27

Re: Chennai - Trichy - Coimbatore - Chennai : Route Queries

Reviving this thread, planning to do a Chennai - Trichy - Coimbatore - Chennai next week. I know the roads are good between Chennai-Trichy and Coimbatore-Chennai. Anyone traveled recently between Trichy and Coimbatore, any ideas on how the roads are, and what routes I can take?
Old 19th February 2022, 19:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai - Trichy - Coimbatore - Chennai : Route Queries

You can take the Trichy-Karur-Vellakoil-Kangeyam-Palladam-CBE route. It is straightforward and wide 2-lane.

For Trichy-Karur, there are 2 choices based on where you start. If you are near Chatram, take the Pettavathalai-Mayanur-Kulithalai-Karur. Or if bypass is closer, take Number 1 Tollgate-Gunaseelam-Musiri-Kulithalai-Karur

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks