Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:16   #1
BHPian

Bangalore, Subramanya, Dharmasthala, Horanadu, Sringeri, Kollur, Murudeshwar, Mangalore

We are planning do to a 7 day trip of Bangalore, Subramanya, Dharmasthala, Horanadu, Sringeri, Kollur, Murudeshwar, Udipi, Mangalore in this order in our i10.

Can someone provide the driving directions and tips.
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyb View Post
We are planning do to a 7 day trip of Bangalore, Subramanya, Dharmasthala, Horanadu, Sringeri, Kollur, Murudeshwar, Udipi, Mangalore in this order in our i10.

1. Bangalore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere- Ujire-Dharmastala

(Except Charmadi all other access to Kukke are bad)

2. Dharmastala - Kukke

3. Kukke - Ujire- Kottegehara - Kalasa/Horanadu

4. Kalasa-Karakala-Sringeri.

3. Sringeri-Udupi

4. Udupi - Murudeshwar - Kollur

5. Kollur-Nagara-Thirtahalli-Koppa-CKM-Hassan-BLR or Kollur-Nagara-Thirtahalli-Shimoga-Tumkur-BLR
(Nagar section may not be all that great but this is the shortest)

Last edited by ampere : 2nd December 2010 at 18:06.
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:13   #3
BHPian

Quote:

Daisy,
Is there a particular order that you have decided on to visit?

Eg : Bangalore to Dharmasthala

You have 2 routes ie Via Charmadi ghat and Shiradi ghat.Both of them are in average condition.

I'd suggest that once you are done with Subramanya and Dharmasthala,you can drive down to Udupi,followed by Kollur.
Post Kollur,you could drive to Murudeshwar and then come back to Kollur and travel to Sringeri via Agumbe.

Hope this helps
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

daisy since you have Kukke and Mangalore on your list, you will have to endure some real bad roads to avoid driving extra. NH-17 isn't in the best of shape also as far I remember.

Ideally the drive would have been
  • Bangalore --Kukke-Dharmastala--Ujjire--Belthangady--Mangalore.
Then on purely based on your preference of visiting places. From mangalore if you plan to drive to Udupi you can choose to see Karkala and moodabidri and then go to Udupi. Udupi to Kollur and from there on to Murudeshwar.

But then on your way back you will have to take back the Honnavara-Jog-Shimoga route to reach Bangalore.
Else drive back all the way to Manipal from Murudeshwar and then do the Sringeri stretch.Not an easy from what I can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
5. Kollur-Nagara-Thirtahalli-Koppa-CKM-Hassan-BLR or Kollur-Nagara-Thirtahalli-Shimoga-Tumkur-BLR
ampere ever done this route ?I don't remember having seen something on those lines while driving back from haladi. I passed this small town called Nagara but never saw any deviation towards Kollur. Also I dont find a reason as to why he would go all the way to Murudeshwara and come back to Kollur again to drive back via thirtahalli.

BTW if I were to follow your route, I will loose a lot of kms backtracking the same roads after each place.
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:06   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
ampere ever done this route ?I don't remember having seen something on those lines while driving back from haladi. I passed this small town called Nagara but never saw any deviation towards Kollur. Also I dont find a reason as to why he would go all the way to Murudeshwara and come back to Kollur again to drive back via thirtahalli.

BTW if I were to follow your route, I will loose a lot of kms backtracking the same roads after each place.
Riju,

Even I thought about the Kollur/Murudeshwar option. I was about to write to add Gokarna to the trip and then retun via Honnavar, but was not sure if he would like it.

About the Kollur Option, I have NOT driven there, but I have heard about a bad road from Kollur to Nittur and then on to Nagara.

I remember @airguitar talking about it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ur-kollur.html

Thirthahalli, Karnataka to Kollur, Karnataka - Google Maps

Though for North Karnataka I look at Google maps with suspicion all the time, since I had heard about, I suggested.
Old 3rd December 2010, 08:37   #6
BHPian

The last I did this road was September end http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2084397

Nothing was worrying then : both roads ( Hosanagara - Kollur as well as Thirthahalli - Nagara - Kollur ) were doable ( with usual potholes here and there ).

Shimoga - Hosanagara - Kollur may be faster. Murudeshwara - Kollur via Baindoor is a narrow single road :(

Quote:
Riju,

Even I thought about the Kollur/Murudeshwar option. I was about to write to add Gokarna to the trip and then retun via Honnavar, but was not sure if he would like it.

About the Kollur Option, I have NOT driven there, but I have heard about a bad road from Kollur to Nittur and then on to Nagara.

I remember @airguitar talking about it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ur-kollur.html

Thirthahalli, Karnataka to Kollur, Karnataka - Google Maps

Though for North Karnataka I look at Google maps with suspicion all the time, since I had heard about, I suggested.
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:19   #7
BHPian

Thanks you all for the information.

Riju, Yes I need to follow this route, as we have made hotel reservations at some fo the places where ever possible. Last in my list will be Mangalore, and return to Bangalore

Ampere, I have Gokarna in my list. I missed mentioning it
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:23   #8
BHPian

BTW I am planning only couple of hours at all these places except for Udipi(1 day) and Mangalore(2 Days). Should this be sufficient?

I am planning to cover moodabidri and karkala when I travel from Udipi to Mangalore. Will this work?

Bangalore - Kukke - Madekiri Route - What stretch of the road is in bad condition. Any idea?
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

daisyb do your trip in the reverse order then . Start from bangalore--shimoga--honnavara-murudeshwara halt for day 1. From there drive to Kollur--Udupi and halt. Next day cover karkala and moodabidri and then drive to mangalore.

Quote:
I am planning to cover moodabidri and karkala when I travel from Udipi to Mangalore. Will this work?
Works well and the distance is pretty less between these two places.
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:44   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks you all for the information.

Riju, Yes I need to follow this route, as we have made hotel reservations at some fo the places where ever possible. Last in my list will be Mangalore, and return to Bangalore

Ampere, I have Gokarna in my list. I missed mentioning it
Then what Riju said makes perfect sense. Go the other way.
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
daisyb do your trip in the reverse order then . Start from bangalore--shimoga--honnavara-murudeshwara halt for day 1. From there drive to Kollur--Udupi and halt. Next day cover karkala and moodabidri and then drive to mangalore.

Works well and the distance is pretty less between these two places.
I am really considering this. Thanks. How do I cover - Horanadu, Sringeri, Dharmasthala, Kekku subramanya
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:41   #12
Team-BHP Support

1. Karkala-Sringeri

2. Sringeri-Karkala-Kudremukh-Kalasa/Horanadu (K/H)

3. K/H - Kottigehara - Charmadi - Ujire - Dharmastala.

4. Dharmastala - Kukke.
Old 9th December 2010, 18:22   #13
BHPian

Re: Bangalore,Subramanya,Dharmasthala,Horanadu,Sringer i,Kollur,Murudeshwar,Udipi,Man

Can you detail the route from Kalasa or rather Horanadu to Sringeri.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore,Subramanya,Dharmasthala,Horanadu,Sringer i,Kollur,Murudeshwar,Udipi,Man

Quote:
Can you detail the route from Kalasa or rather Horanadu to Sringeri.
Hornadu - Balehole(take left) - Basarikatte(take left) - Jayapura(Take left) - Sringeri. Around 60kms
This road is in fairly good condition, but narrow from Hornadu - Jayapura.
Old 13th December 2010, 13:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Kollur-Nagara-Thirtahalli-
Figuring out the route from Sringeri to Kollur. So what would you suggest?
Sringeri->Koppa->Thirtahalli->Nagara->Kollur. Is this possible

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks