Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 21:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Current road condition from Madurai to Kumily/ Thekkady?

I am avoiding Palaghat-Thichur-Angamaly road tomorrow. Since I heard PM and Some Union Ministers also attending Leader's Funeral tomorrow. So you can expect some road block.

I decided to go by Bangalore-Selam-Dindigul-Kumily-Kottayam tomorrow (25th Dec)
Old 25th December 2010, 10:58   #17
BHPian

Just back from the trip of trichy-theni-munnar-thekkadi-trichy

trichy-dindigul - 4lanning work in progress so lots of diversions.. took around 1.5 hours to cover this stretch

dindigul-periyakulam-theni - good 2 laned road with occasional potholes..

theni-bodi-bodimedu - good roads nicely tarred but narrow

bodimedu- munnar - road is rough with lots of patches.. badly needs a new coat
munnar-thekkady - half of the stretch needs a new coat remaining half is really good.. well marked roads...

kumili-cambam - a few places near the bends are filled with potholes

cambam-theni - nice 2 laned roads
Old 30th August 2011, 12:58   #18
BHPian

Hi All,

Any latest updates on Bangalore-Selam-Dindigul-Kumily-Kottayam road conditions. Or via Palakkad road is better?

Thanks
Philip
Old 21st September 2011, 20:56   #19
BHPian

Team,

any updates on the Theni-Kumily road condition right now for Honda sedan car?
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
any updates on the Theni-Kumily road condition right now for Honda sedan car?
Here you go. I did 4 days back on an i10, should solve your concerns on underbody scrapings
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2011, 16:14   #21
BHPian

Road until Kumali is pretty cool. Road from kumali to kottayam is partially spoilt after the rainy season. Took a little long time on this gutter road.
Old 1st July 2012, 11:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

Posting this for my cousin. Need help with the following queries.

Planning to Travel to Kottayam Via Selam-Karur-Dindigul-Kumili from Bangalore during the last week of July. Any idea about the condition of the road after Dindigul? I have done the Coimbatore stretch couple of time and would love to try this route.

Also, wanted a confirmation that this is the route that I need to take--Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Vedasandur - Dindugul - Batlagundu - Periakulam - Theni - Kumbum - Kumily.

Heard that there is road works going on around Theni...Wanted to know if anyone of you have travelled this route recently.

Second thing is about eateries...Planning to leave Bangalore around 3AM. Wanted to check if there are any good breakfast options after Salem with good rest room facilities.
Old 1st July 2012, 18:54   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Also, wanted a confirmation that this is the route that I need to take--Bangalore - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Karur - Vedasandur - Dindugul - Batlagundu - Periakulam - Theni - Kumbum - Kumily.
Yes this is the correct route. But after the monsoons I dont know the conditions.

Quote:
Heard that there is road works going on around Theni...Wanted to know if anyone of you have travelled this route recently.
Many diversions on the two lane road. Would be good to check on the Munnar thread to get the latest.

Also Theni has a bypass: bypass link

Quote:
Second thing is about eateries...Planning to leave Bangalore around 3AM. Wanted to check if there are any good breakfast options after Salem with good rest room facilities.
After Salem there is Arya Bhavan before Namakkal right on the highway. But you will hit that place by 7AM if you are at silk board at 3AM. So not sure if it would be open.

Also heard that Theni has a restaurant Meenakshi Bhavan. Its exactly at the point where road to Munnar branches off from Theni-Kumily road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 21:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
After Salem there is Arya Bhavan before Namakkal right on the highway. But you will hit that place by 7AM if you are at silk board at 3AM. So not sure if it would be open.

Also heard that Theni has a restaurant Meenakshi Bhavan. Its exactly at the point where road to Munnar branches off from Theni-Kumily road.
Quite a while since I travelled on this road, but I recall a reasonably good vegetarian restaurant with decent restrooms close to the end of the Karur byepass. It's on the left hand side of the road and is right next to a HP gas station. Sorry, can't remember the name of the place.

Karur would be about 4 hours from Bangalore, so for a 3AM start this could be a good place to stop for breakfast.
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:34   #25
BHPian

Anyone knows the condition of road after theni. I need to travel to Edathua(Near Thiruvalla) this satruday. Planning to leave at 4am on saturday.

BTW has it started raining heavily in Kumily area?
Old 2nd November 2012, 15:03   #26
BHPian

I drove from Chennai to Thekkady last week. 4 lane conversion is onging right from the turn off on NH7 near Dindigul and all the way up to Cumbum. Quite frankly this road can be dangerous during night time, as there were no indication of lane diversions in many places. Road conditions alternated between very good to down right dangerous for sedans atleast. The 140kms took 3 hours without breaks.
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:26   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
I drove from Chennai to Thekkady last week. 4 lane conversion is onging right from the turn off on NH7 near Dindigul and all the way up to Cumbum. Quite frankly this road can be dangerous during night time, as there were no indication of lane diversions in many places. Road conditions alternated between very good to down right dangerous for sedans atleast. The 140kms took 3 hours without breaks.
I thought it was only being extended. Did not realized it was being 4-laned. While its good, lets see how long it takes to complete.
There is an option to go via Dindigul-Kodai Road-Batlagundu-Andipatti-Theni. That would help bypass Dindigul-Theni.
I dont think one can bypass the rest of the route.
Old 4th November 2012, 11:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraveenM View Post
4 lane conversion is onging right from the turn off on NH7 near Dindigul and all the way up to Cumbum. Quite frankly this road can be dangerous during night time, as there were no indication of lane diversions in many places. Road conditions alternated between very good to down right dangerous for sedans atleast. The 140kms took 3 hours without breaks.
I did this stetch Dindigul- Mundakayam on the way to Sabarimalai 2 weeks back.
From Dindigul took the route via Kodai road-Nilakotai-Batalagundu Theni-Mundakayam.
Four lane work is going Batalagundu-Cumbum, lot of diversions and crossing
small towns were difficult added to that the local buses were ripping through.

While coming back from Sabarimalai I took the Punalur-Shenkottai-Rajapalayam route.
Old 4th November 2012, 12:00   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
While coming back from Sabarimalai I took the Punalur-Shenkottai-Rajapalayam route.
Looks like a sensible choice. Dindigul-Cumbum is really pain nowadays. The extra distance via Punalur-Tenkasi is definitely worth it.

Madurai-Rajapalayam is still heavy on traffic? Thats what I had heard last time.
Old 4th November 2012, 21:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Looks like a sensible choice. Dindigul-Cumbum is really pain nowadays. The extra distance via Punalur-Tenkasi is definitely worth it.

Madurai-Rajapalayam is still heavy on traffic? Thats what I had heard last time.
From Shenkottai to Rajapalyam was also heavy traffic.
From Srivalliputtur took the road via Sivakasi - Satur.This road is good except
for traversing the Sivakasi town.From Satur it was four lane and I could
bypass Madurai easily.The problem Madurai bypass towards Trichy is two laned and surface
is not good and they are charging Rs.40.I felt the charge was pretty high
for the average roads.

Last edited by gajadonga : 4th November 2012 at 21:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks