Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2010, 18:39   #1

Please suggest some place for Camping near Bangalore

Hi Folks,

I need suggestions for a place to camp for a night. The New Year Night.

Requirements:-

1. Near Bangalore :- Since I say in Bangalore.
2. Should be a legal place to Camp. Dont want any fuss regarding police or forest department.
3. Should be an awesome place like an edge of a cliff, or on the sand by the beach.
4. I will be traveling in my Santro and will be carrying all camping gears like tents, firewood, charcoal for Barbecue, and extra battery for my car to let the woofers in my car last thru the night.
5. If possible the exact coordinates on the GPS to put the camp.

Friends i got just 10 days and need to finalize it quickly. I need help from you all on this.

Regards
Gaurav

P.S. : Is Soligere a legal place to camp? Link . Coz i saw some photos of people in this forum, camping over there .
If yes then i will need to hire a 4X4... Can someone tell me where to get it in bangalore?
Old 20th December 2010, 20:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Please suggest some place for Camping.

AFAIK I dont think there are any legal places in India to camp untill and unless its privately owned. You still have to pay camping charges to them.

For govt owned land, usually (atleast in the north) it is managed by the forest department and getting camping permits are very difficult untill and unless it is a marked trail.

Dont even think about playing loud music or burning wood in forest land its an offence.

So your best bet will be to look for private land for camping
Old 20th December 2010, 21:59   #3
Team-BHP Support

Kumaraparavatha near Kukke! Best in class! Thats the place to go. I think Bangalore Mountaineering Club (BMC) had been there 1-2 weeks back.
Old 21st December 2010, 11:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

These are some good options from Bangalore

a) Cauvery basin. There are some nice sandy beaches between Meke datu and Hogannekkal and avid trekkers are aware of this.
b) The backwatres of Avalanche Dam in Ooty. Beautiful place.
b) Sandy beaces on Tunga river in and around Tirthahalli. Amazing streches of sand
c) Talakadu and surrounding areas
d) Any of the neighbouring hills - Nandi, Savana Durga, Skanda Giri, Ramanagaram
e) Banks of Manchana Bele reservoir close to Big Banyan tree is a good place
f) Horseley hills and surroundings
g) The hills of Chikkamagalur - Baba Budan Giri and Mullayana Giri
h) Kumara Parvata, Kodachadri etc in Western Ghats
i) The amazing beach of Kaup and Maravanthe close to Udupi
j) The trekking trails of Coorg and Wayanad

I am not sure whether you need permisson to camp. You can call the forest departent or local trekking groups who will help. But, one has to respect the local population and should not indulge in excess drinking, drugging etc which may lead you in trouble.
Old 22nd December 2010, 04:09   #5

Thanks a lot,
Mr Dekay, Ampera and Fauji for you replies. Didnt know that it wud be so quick.
I guess i will have to do more research. many of the places suggested need trekking on foot. which we are intending not to have.
Coz non of us know Kanada, and we have girls in the group too.
Well non of us take alcohol or smoke, so that wont be a problem.

Thanks again.
Gaurav
Old 29th August 2011, 18:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Re: Please suggest some place for Camping near Bangalore

Reviving an old thread as i am looking for similar requirement.

Any place within 200 kms from bangalore where we can camp, stay for a night.
Old 29th August 2011, 18:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Reviving an old thread as i am looking for similar requirement.

Any place within 200 kms from bangalore where we can camp, stay for a night.
I guess you can get more options by reading this thread. (though not exactly, but still you can take a look...)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html

-Ravi
Old 29th August 2011, 20:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I guess you can get more options by reading this thread. (though not exactly, but still you can take a look...)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html

-Ravi
Thanks for the link.
I am more looking at places where we can camp(Pitch a tent, cook food,etc) and not just cool drives.
rk_sans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 21:11   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the link.
I am more looking at places where we can camp(Pitch a tent, cook food,etc) and not just cool drives.
try the stretch from kanakapura to bheemeshwari. The road runs along the countryside / not very dense forests for most of the distance. You can setup tents anywhere you like, just be wary of wild animals. I'd done a camp here around last year september, we went by bike to bheemeshwari jungle lodges, finished the 1 day's programme there and left the place after 7pm. Somewhere 25-30km away, we parked our bikes in a clearing and setup our tents in the middle of nowhere! There was some rain water lake also closeby for water source. We didn't light any fire, just used LED torches for light. We had packed food (heavy dinner) from bheemeshwari jungle lodges, just unpacked that and ate all the stuff, sitting amidst nature

One more place you can try setting up tents - Yelagiri hill. On the top, there are couple of hotels in the main Yelagiri town but if you proceed beyond the town, the road leads to another section of the hill, passing through some relatively flatter sections of forests and waste land on the top. You can safely pitch tent there, there are no wild animals or anything, also no fear of rolling down the hill You'll have some awesome views when you wake up in the morning

P.S - stay away from ramnagar, nandi hills, skandagiri. It is heavily infested with drunk revellers, especially on weekends

Last edited by KarthikK : 29th August 2011 at 21:21.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 15:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Also, you can try this option,"linger.in" it is managed by a TBHpian "Sameer". they have camping option in Devarayadurga.

Quote:
Thanks for the link.
lohithrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 15:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

India is not a very camper friendly place when you compare it the US, for example. There are plenty of lovely locations which seem suitable to camp, but for various reasons, it is not possible. Safety is one of the major reasons. Ideally, a camping spot should be accessible by road and should probably be a bit away from civilization. But here in India, all roads lead to some village or the other. If you are willing to trek though, you will find the best spots to camp.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 17:05   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
India is not a very camper friendly place when you compare it the US, for example. There are plenty of lovely locations which seem suitable to camp, but for various reasons, it is not possible. Safety is one of the major reasons. Ideally, a camping spot should be accessible by road and should probably be a bit away from civilization. But here in India, all roads lead to some village or the other. If you are willing to trek though, you will find the best spots to camp.
Don't forget also that many of these attractive looking camping locations might belong to a farmer or be privately and/ or government owned.
One is not supposed to just casually land up somewhere and pitch tent just like that. For example if one is within a Forest range area, then one absolutely must take the requisite permissions. Lighting fires and camping near water, handling aspects of litter management, care for wildlife and plant life, and other eco friendly techniques should be rigorously followed.
All this is for responsible camping behaviour.
Unfortunately most people land everywhere they please and behave like it is their own private backyard. Behaviour standards leave much to be desired and personally I would think twice about landing up in one of these places on account of safety issues and the general criminal public fraternity. I do not, as you may have guessed, have too much faith in my fellow man, especially here in India...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th April 2013 at 17:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks