Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 09:10   #1

New Years Eve - Beach party @ Kovalam

Hi guys

I've heard there's a beach party organised at Kovalam for New Years Eve. A few questions related to that:

1. Is it just turn up at the beach and music etc. is playing, or is it organised by a specific operator, where you buy tickets? If so, where do you go to book tickets?

2. Is this a safe option for two females travelling alone?

3. If the beach party isn't the best of ideas, are there more 'exclusive' events (still targeted at the 20-30 year old age range) which I can get tickets for, and if so, how would I go about it.

4. I understand that the beach event shuts down at 12:30. Are there any events which go for longer - it seems a shame to end your night at 12:30 on NYE!

Thanks!
Old 21st December 2010, 12:07   #2
BHPian

Re: New Years Eve - Kovalam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretonext View Post
I've heard there's a beach party organised at Kovalam for New Years Eve. A few questions related to that:
haven't gone recently but once went a few years back.
Most of the sea facing hotels organize their own music, lights, food, drinks, etc in the open dance deck. Will be mostly filled with foreign tourists.
Better stick to their safe boundary and don't venture into public beach.

The crowd in the public beach will be mostly locals and you know what will happen if caught in a crowd. I've seen un-suspecting foreigners getting caught in such situations. Even though horse-mounted policemen are posted they simply can't bring order.
Old 21st December 2010, 12:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

It won't be safe for women if this is gonna be an open beach party unless it is organized by some top hotels in private areas. Not recommended to go there with women.
Old 21st December 2010, 15:37   #4
BHPian

A safe option would be Leela Kovalam. They conduct party in their private beach, a small area where outsiders won't be coming. You can call Leela and ask for the tariff, if it suits you, Leela is the best and safest place.

Enjoy n Happy New Year
Old 21st December 2010, 18:27   #5

Thanks guys! Re leela, what age range are we talking - my only concern is ending up at a party where the next youngest person is a good 15 years older.

Looks like the general beach is out.
Old 21st December 2010, 18:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

I guess the average age for such a crowd would be 33. Just my guess
Old 21st December 2010, 21:03   #7
Team-BHP Support

wheretonext,

If theres one night of the year where i would advise women not to be brave, it's new years eve. I have heard of some really awful things happening in crowded places, even when the girls are with male company.

As opposed to going to one of the 5-star resort parties (yeah, sounds a little fuddy-duddy) - try and find an upmarket restaurant / open-air nightclub type location. Something thats a bit pricey around the year, and which will have an entry charge and will not let in stags on NYE (Yay gender equality). Thats probably your best / most fun bet.

cya
R

@clevermax - lol

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st December 2010 at 21:05.
Old 21st December 2010, 23:43   #8

@clevermax - thanks for the guess ( feel like I've started a guess the number of jellybeans contest).

@rehaan. That's sound advice. R or anyone else: know of any open air nightclubs in kovalam/Tvm? I don't get there 'til the 30th and don't want to leave booking something that late.
Old 22nd December 2010, 05:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

The Leela party should a good one , just make sure that you dont wander off outside the fenced off portion of the beach after sunset. Else you could try the time tested resorts like the Surya Samudra or the the Somatheeram, but these are not exactly in Kovalam.

There will be big party on the nearby "Howah Beach " but not at all recommended for women , even if accompanied , there are incidents reported every year...this is an annual event.
Old 22nd December 2010, 05:19   #10

Hi Hellstar - what can I expect in terms of the leela party? (Thanks for the heads up) - crowd/music wise. How long does it tend to go for?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks