Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:40   #1
BHPian

Mumbai-Palampur Himachal Pradesh-Mumbai best route?

Dear All,

I am planning to go to palampur in february 2011 with a co passenger in my ford ikon.

Mumbai to Palampur in Himachal and back. Total days 7 to 8 max.

Would be very thankful if somebody helps me out with the best route (Road conditionwise) possible to take.

Thanks in advance .
Mods Please merge with other thread if required.
Old 22nd December 2010, 16:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Mumbai-Palampur Himachal Pradesh-Mumbai best route?

NH8 to Delhi followed by NH1 to Ambala Cantt.
NH21 to Mandi followed by NH20 to Palampur.
Old 24th December 2010, 14:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Forget Mandi, its a much longer route. From Ambala Cantt - Rajpura- Landran-Kharar-Kiratpur-Nangal-Una-Amb-Mubarakpur-Dehra-Kangra-Nagrota-Maranda-Palampur.
From Ambala Cantt it would be around 275 odd Kms.
There are numerous routes info around for Mumbai- Delhi, pm Khoj for updates. Once you know where would you be stopping only then a better route can be planned from Delhi onwards. Delhi-Palampur in a single day is doable but tiring.
Old 24th December 2010, 14:48   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Another Route from CHD will be as below...

View Larger Map">
View Larger Map

From CHD - ROPAR - GHANAULI - KIRATPUR SAHIB - ANANDPUR SAHIB - NANGAL DAM - UNA - BANGANA - BADSAR - BHOTA- HAMIRPUR- SUJANPUR TIRA-PALAMPUR .

road from una to hamirpur is in construction phase Around 65KMs ..although good in patches. nornally HRTC buses to palampur take

UNA- AMB- kalcha- nadaun-sujampur tira - thural -palampur

This route is also in shambles ..I would recommend the above one via badsar . let me know incase u need more info ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Forget Mandi, its a much longer route. From Ambala Cantt - Rajpura- Landran-Kharar-Kiratpur-Nangal-Una-Amb-Mubarakpur-Dehra-Kangra-Nagrota-Maranda-Palampur.
From Ambala Cantt it would be around 275 odd Kms.
There are numerous routes info around for Mumbai- Delhi, pm Khoj for updates. Once you know where would you be stopping only then a better route can be planned from Delhi onwards. Delhi-Palampur in a single day is doable but tiring.
Why are you heading to dehra - kangra - nagrota-

From AMB turn towards kalcha and via nadaun to sujanpur . it will save you good KM's of extra driving . Best bet would be to tail a Palampur bound HRTC bus. if you reach around 12 Midnight in UNA , you will get a bus every 30 min to palampur / baijnath side. All HRTC buses Refuel in UNA and hence can be easily spotted . anyhow UNA is a small town . also the path holes on the route are big enough to engulf your IKON ..drive carefully in Night wrt to road conditions.

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 24th December 2010 at 14:57.
Old 11th April 2011, 11:23   #5
BHPian

Hi Sushil,

It seems you are from HP and well versed with the route. I am a frequent traveler to Palampur area from chandigarh and till last year used to take UNA-Dehra-Ranital-tanda-nagrota-palampur route. However last year the route around Umb to Una was horrible (infact had to drive 10 kms over stones) and on return I came back via Hoshiarpur route to avoid the road under construction.

You have suggested the route UNA - BANGANA - BADSAR - BHOTA- HAMIRPUR- SUJANPUR TIRA-PALAMPUR.

Let me know if this route is better than the Una dehra-palampur route? What about the road construction work around UNA -UMB is it still on? Which is the shorter route and road conditions?

I plan to go again by car in May-June, will appreciate your inputs.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:18   #6
BANNED

HI ,

The road construction activity is in full swing in & around UNA. roads are so horrible that even buses are breaking down of lately and it;s the JCB's which are ruling these days .

I would recommend entering from from hoshiarpur side and take the nagrota -Mubarak pur route. hope it helps. Avoid UNA at all costs for entering HP at this Point of time .

hope it helps.
Old 11th April 2011, 13:52   #7
BHPian

Thanks a lot! So that means I should go via hoshiarpur -nagrota route only. I hope they do something to improve the condition of highways leading to dharamshala and palampur soon.
Old 11th April 2011, 14:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

They are widening the Una-Amb route? Or is it mere repair activity? The road has been in miserable condition for some time now.
Old 11th April 2011, 14:32   #9
BHPian

Yes they are widening it for the last three years! The project has been awarded to some Chinese firm and is running past deadline. Earlier there was some issue with visa to chinese staff.
Old 11th April 2011, 14:32   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
They are widening the Una-Amb route? Or is it mere repair activity? The road has been in miserable condition for some time now.
Hi HVk ,

Una -nangal - anandpur sahib - kiratpur - ropar-kharar -chd- amb road is Ok now and widening is complete. it's very bad from ambala to delhi .

there is some flyover construction going on in ropar (allmost complete when seen last around 20 days back). work on chd - ropar hasn't started yet IMO as i have seen it like that since i can remember .

the road i talked about is basically una to mandi via bhota . it's getting 2 laned now mainly , keeping in mind the defense vehicles . this is same route which will connect with proposed all terrain route to LEH-kargil .

Last edited by .sushilkumar : 11th April 2011 at 14:34.
Old 11th April 2011, 15:05   #11
BHPian

That means it is OK till Una but UNA-Amb is bad, right?if you havwe travelled recently on this route please elaborate.
Old 11th April 2011, 15:08   #12
BANNED

I guess HVK talked about UNA - AMBALA not amb .

Yes it;s excellent till UNA . afterwards it's pathetic towards palampur via amb-dehra & badsar - bhota
Old 11th April 2011, 15:22   #13
BHPian

We are in April- have you already gone?

Mumnbai_Udaipur-Makrana-then NH 65 to Sikar, then NH 71 from Narwana to Patiala, then northwards to Rupnagar.

I went further North to Pathankot, and took the right to Kandwal, Nurpur before going to Palampur.... but I had reasons... I dont see any reason for you to do that.

Other Forum members could help you from Rupnagar to P'pur.

Forget Manali and Pathankot... listen to someone else

The route I have given you to Rupnagar, is spectacular, and fantastic driving, you will have a good time.... trust me. and dont bother it could be like 35Km longer... its WORTH IT. Look at my Picasa images...

Drive safe, and wear your seatbelts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks