Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 15:15   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad to Tranquebar

Hi all,
I am booked into Bungalow on Beach in Tranquebar from Sunday. Need to start my drive from Hyderabad tomorrow early morning.

Please help me in choosing the right route. Hoping to hear from experts soon as not much time left for me.

thanks.
Old 24th December 2010, 17:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyderabad to Tranquebar

Google Link:

Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh to Tharangambadi, Tamil Nadu - Google Maps

Summary:

1. NH7 till Kurnool (4L-GQ)
2. NH18 till Chitoor via Cuddapah
3. NH4 Chitoor-Kanchi (2L/4L combo)
4. SH Kanchi-Chengelpet
5. NH45 Chengelpet-Tindivanam (4L-GQ)
6. NH66 Tindivanam-Pondy (4L)
7. ECR Pondy-Tranquebar (Good 2L but slow moving traffic).
Old 24th December 2010, 17:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Take NH7 till Gooty.
Then NH18 via Tadapatri, Kadapa & Rayachoti to Chittoor.
From Chittoor, go to Kanchipuram on NH4, connect to NH45 via Wallajahbad at Chengalpattu.
Take NH45 from Chengalapattu go via Tindivanam till VIkravandi (before Villupuram).
Leave NH45 and go via Panruti and Bhuvangiri to Chidamabaram to connect to NH45A.
From Chidambaram, reach Tarangambadi (Tranquebar) via Sirkazhi.
Old 24th December 2010, 17:29   #4
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions. Is it better if I leave NH7 at Anantpur instead of Gooty and reach Chittoor via Madanapally?

I want to be on excellent NH7 as much as possible (travelling with a 4 month infant and a 4 yr old). In fact was also considering going all the way till Salem on NH7 and then branching off - but seems that is sheer madness...

Good road conditions are most imp, additional drive is ok.

thanks a lot.
Old 24th December 2010, 17:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabingade View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Is it better if I leave NH7 at Anantpur instead of Gooty and reach Chittoor via Madanapally?

I want to be on excellent NH7 as much as possible (travelling with a 4 month infant and a 4 yr old). In fact was also considering going all the way till Salem on NH7 and then branching off - but seems that is sheer madness...

Good road conditions are most imp, additional drive is ok.

thanks a lot.
I don't know the current condition of NH209 from Anantapur to Chittoor via Kadiri and Madanapalle, it was bad a few months ago.
Old 24th December 2010, 17:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

Choice of roads also depends on break-options for the journey.

HVK,

1. NH18 starts form Gooty is it? I thought Kurnool, hence suggested that.
2. I was thinking of suggesting the Panruti option, but thought he may want to visit Pondy en-route as well !

Last edited by ampere : 24th December 2010 at 17:39.
Old 24th December 2010, 17:42   #7
BHPian

Agree. I need to stay tomorrow night "somewhere" and got booking from Sun in Tranquebar. So I am flexible to park in any city as long as there is a decent hotel (clean room and bathroom).

Will have enough food packed for the day and really don't need breaks for food during the day...

Will go from Tranquebar to Mahabalipuram on Tue and will spend few hrs in Pondy on the way.

Thanks.

Last edited by prabingade : 24th December 2010 at 17:45. Reason: Didn't read Amp's complete post
Old 24th December 2010, 17:58   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agree. I need to stay tomorrow night "somewhere" and got booking from Sun in Tranquebar. So I am flexible to park in any city as long as there is a decent hotel (clean room and bathroom).

Will have enough food packed for the day and really don't need breaks for food during the day...

Will go from Tranquebar to Mahabalipuram on Tue and will spend few hrs in Pondy on the way.

Thanks.
If that is the case, then take option that HVK suggested. (Dont go via ECR; ie Pondicherry). Go via Villlipuram-Panruti.

Even I am not aware of the status of NH205 via Kadiri.

Break-Options:

1. Cuddapah can be a potential option (I am not sure). It also depends on how much you can cover in one day.
2. Chitoor has few hotels.
Old 24th December 2010, 20:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

You are right, ampere. NH18 starts at Kurnool, my mistake.
Looks like the Gooty-Kadapa highway is a state road, and from Kadapa onwards it is NH18.
Kadapa has a good APTDC Harita right on the bypass itself.
Other stay options are at Kanchipuram.
Old 25th December 2010, 17:47   #10
BHPian

Started from Mahabubnagar at 6am and reached Kanchipuram at 5pm.

Took Anantpur, Madanapally, Chittoor road. Fantastic roads, didn't have any issues. Probably this should be the best route for Hyd-Chennai for now... Must have taken 2 hrs break overall and driving with care as infant was on board.

Will update the conditions from Kanchi onwards once I reach Tranquebar tomorrow.
Old 25th December 2010, 17:52   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Started from Mahabubnagar at 6am and reached Kanchipuram at 5pm.

Took Anantpur, Madanapally, Chittoor road. Fantastic roads, didn't have any issues. Probably this should be the best route for Hyd-Chennai for now... Must have taken 2 hrs break overall and driving with care as infant was on board.

Will update the conditions from Kanchi onwards once I reach Tranquebar tomorrow.
Good that you passed Palamaner-Chitoor-Walajapet sections before evening. Thats a 2L NH4. Very good but has heavy duty truck traffic. So good to hear that NH205/219 (Kadiri route) is in good shape. How were lunch breaks? Where did you take them? Anantpur?

EDIT: This route to Chennai is at least 150 Km more.

Last edited by ampere : 25th December 2010 at 17:59.
Old 26th December 2010, 05:41   #12
BHPian

Food options:
1. Just after the Gooty bypass, BPCL company owned gas station and the Dhaba Ghar. That should serve as a bfast joint.
2. Lunch at Nandi A1 Plaza after Palamaner but much before Chittor bypass.

Kadiri road is a feature bed. I think they laid it new. I was doing easily at 110+ with only small towns slowing down.

The truck traffic was there in the Palamaner-Chittoor-Walajapet but it was not a pain to drive. But the speed levels certainly drops after Palamaner as the no. of rash drivers list increases substantially and hence had to be double careful...
Old 26th December 2010, 09:26   #13
Team-BHP Support

Great update. I have seen the Nandi A1 Plaza on NH4 when I was on my way to Tirupathi. The Goothy one is an info. Thanks.
Old 26th December 2010, 13:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Food options:
1. Just after the Gooty bypass, BPCL company owned gas station and the Dhaba Ghar. That should serve as a bfast joint.
Did you happen to eat at the Gooty Ghar?They are hardly open and always short on water(thats the common excuse they have).From your update looks like some things have atleast changed.The washrooms are still deplorable?,we checked it out last week and it was terrible and they had the common "NO WATER" problem

Theres an ex-A1 Plaza at Dhone just before the ghat section,that is a far better option,nothing fabulous,just that it serves the purpose thats all.

I always keep wondering if the highways eateries should be handed over the Gold Loan guys like Muthoot or Manappuram,they would do a fab job considering that they open an outlet every 5kms!!!!
Old 29th December 2010, 04:51   #15
BHPian

I had my bfast packed and hence didn't have it at Dhaba Ghar. However, I filled diesel in the BPCL and could see that the dhaba ghar was open(double confirmed it with the person who was filling the tank seeing the cars being parked there)

Kanchi - Tranquebar Route update:
Kanchi to Chengelpet: very bad roads. potholes all over. Slows down considerably.
Chengelpet - Arasur: Excellent (The Vikravandi to Penurthi road apparantly very bad as per locals. So they suggested us to cross Villupuram take take a diversion after 5-6 kms at Arasur).
Arasur - Penurty: Bad roads
Penurthy - Chidambaram: Bad roads - lot of potholes, lot of places where the tar is not laid.
Chidambaram - Tranquebar: Road is ok. Only problem is Shikarji bypass road is closed so have to pass through the town.

Tranquebar - Mahabalipuram:

Tranquebar - Chidambaram: Made the 50 kms in an hour as started at 6:40am.
Chidambaram - Mahabalipuram: Roads are excellent. But the traffic is high and passing through Cuddalur and Pondy was a pain.

Yesterday, started from Chidambaram (after darshan and bfast) at 9:30am and reached Temple Bay at 1:00am with around 15 min overall break time.

Just to motivate the long drives with infants:
1. My exact 4m old (born 26th Aug) could take it well. He was in car seat most of the time in the middle row of my scorpio.
2. I did some test drive with him before the trip start with sudden breaks, going over speed breaker erratically etc which gave me confidence in the actual trip.
3. The surprise in this trip was my 4 yr old who found a new home in the middle seat - doing coloring etc (we haven't taken him for this long a drive since Oct 2009 Hyd-Goa trip). No issues.

Feel free to ping me in case you need any more information about driving long distances with 3-4 month infants.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks