Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2010, 15:48   #1
BHPian

Pune-Rajasthan-Amravati-Pune

A big hello to all BHPians!

I am planning a 10-12 day long trip to Rajasthan & a big Detour to Amravati starting 26-Jan-10. Would be travelling with my wife and 2 year old daughter and I would be the lone driver for my Alto. (ranjitp1's trip in his 800 was a big inspiration!)

After referring the wealth of threads available in this section, I have chalked out the plan as follows:
Leg 1 : Pune-Mumbai-Vapi-Surat-Baroda (Halt at relatives in Baroda)
Leg 2 : Baroda-Ahmedabad-Mehsana-Palanpur-Mount Abu (Stay arranged at Mount Abu)
Leg 3 : Mount Abu-Raniwara-Sanchore-Barmer-Devikot-Jaisalmer (Suggest VFM Hotel at Jaisalmer)
Leg 4 : Jaisalmer-Pokharan-Nokhra-Gajner-Bikaner (Suggest VFM Hotel at Bikaner. Is it worth going to Bikaner?)
Leg 5 : Bikaner-Gajner-Nokhra-Pokharan-Balesar-Jodhpur (Halt at Relatives in Jodhpur)
>>>>>>OR Bikaner-Deshnoke-Nagaur-Jodhpur(Is this route good enough? Deshnoke=Karni Mata?)
Leg 6 : Jodhpur-Bar-Beawar (Halt at Relatives in Beawar. Quick visit to Ajmer Sharif.)
Leg 7 : Beawar-Nasirabad-Bhilwara-Chittor-Udaipur (Suggest VFM Hotel at Udaipur)
Leg 9 : Udaipur-Ratlam-Indore-Dharni-Achalpur-Amravati (Friend's Wedding at Amravati. How is this route?
Leg 9 : Amravati-Karanja-Jalna-Ahmednagar-Pune (Back home!)
Please suggest if this route plan seems adequate. I would be skipping Jaipur for sake of time. Once the destinations are finalized, I will further shoot queries for places to see!

Regards,
cyclops
Attached Thumbnails
Pune-Rajasthan-Amravati-Pune-rj-route.gif  

Last edited by cyclops : 24th December 2010 at 16:01. Reason: Added Google Map for the Route
Old 24th December 2010, 17:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pune-Rajasthan-Amravati-Pune

Leg 1:
Make sure you leave very early, the NH8 is terribly congested nowadays and it is not going to be easy to reach Baroda till late evening. Recent experience is that our friends took 11 hours from Bombay to Baroda 3 days ago and issigonis took 9hours today too to travel from Bombay to Baroda alone.

Leg 5:
The route via Nagaur is the main road from Bikaner to Jodhpur.
Karni Mata Temple (rat temple) is at Deshnoke which is around 20 kms from Bikaner on the road to Jodhpur.

Leg 9:
Ratlam to Indore may be bad, but no recent update.
From Indore, the route passes through wild life areas and is traditionally a decent but narrow road, but no updates. Indore to Khandwa is good, and also from Chikaldhara to Amaravati, so that leaves unanswered the road between Khandwa and Chikaldhara. In case you find on the spot that the road is not good, simply come down to Burhanpur, join NH6 and take the Khamgaon-Akola route to Amaravati.
Old 24th December 2010, 23:50   #3
BHPian

I was wondering whether you will notice my thread, and there you are being the first one to reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Leg 1:
Make sure you leave very early, the NH8 is terribly congested nowadays and it is not going to be easy to reach Baroda till late evening. Recent experience is that our friends took 11 hours from Bombay to Baroda 3 days ago and issigonis took 9hours today too to travel from Bombay to Baroda alone.
Yes. I will make an early start from Pune. Is it only traffic or any other reason for the delay as well..

Quote:
Leg 5:
The route via Nagaur is the main road from Bikaner to Jodhpur.
Karni Mata Temple (rat temple) is at Deshnoke which is around 20 kms from Bikaner on the road to Jodhpur.
Okay then, I will go ahead with this route.

Quote:
Leg 9:
From Indore, the route passes through wild life areas and is traditionally a decent but narrow road, but no updates. Indore to Khandwa is good, and also from Chikaldhara to Amaravati, so that leaves unanswered the road between Khandwa and Chikaldhara. In case you find on the spot that the road is not good, simply come down to Burhanpur, join NH6 and take the Khamgaon-Akola route to Amaravati.
Hmm.. I had once done Nagpur-Khandwa-Nagpur (many years back) and the route was amazing, passing through dense teak forest. The biggest ghat section I ever crossed, through Melghat Project Tiger, almost 100-125 kms.

Dharni-Paratwada-Amravati I am sure, the road would be great. But I don't have any clue on the Ratlam - Indore - Khandwa route, never been there. Will try to find it out from some of my contacts. Anybody here on the forum having an update of this route?

Last edited by cyclops : 24th December 2010 at 23:52.
Old 25th December 2010, 11:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

NH8 is having heavy traffic this week and taking lots of time between Bombay and Vapi, and also slows down between Vapi and Surat. Toll gates in MH are also very inefficient, and the bridge across River Narmada is still under repair.

Check out with Mercedised - he is Indore and knows the region well - about the Ratlam-Indore road. The Indore-Khandwa road is absolutely fine.

Yes, the Khandwa-Chikaldara stretch is one of the most exciting forest drives, but since very few go that way, information on it is not easily available. Hope you will give us the first update!
Old 28th December 2010, 16:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Leg 9:
The Road from Neemuch to Indore is 4 Laned now. One of the best roads in MP. Khandwa-Indore is very good. Khandwa to MH border is also fine.

Last edited by mercedised : 28th December 2010 at 16:08.
Old 28th December 2010, 18:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Leg 5 : Bikaner-Deshnoke-Nagaur-Jodhpur(Is this route good enough? Deshnoke=Karni Mata?)
This route is a good one. You must visit Karni Mata Temple in Deshnoke it is famous for white rats.
Quote:
Leg 7 : Beawar-Nasirabad-Bhilwara-Chittor-Udaipur (Suggest VFM Hotel at Udaipur)
Please visit web site Udaipur Hotels, Udaipur Heritage Hotels, Hotels in Udaipur, UdaipurHotels for hotels in Udaipur. Shortlist the hotels as per your requirement and let me know so that I can help you in selecting the best out of the lot.
Old 28th December 2010, 20:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
The Road from Neemuch to Indore is 4 Laned now. One of the best roads in MP. Khandwa-Indore is very good. Khandwa to MH border is also fine.
Thanks, mercedised, that is very useful info.
MP is making giant strides in improving its road networks, this is one more indicator of that.

Am curious to know - what is the strategic importance of the Indore-Neemuch road? Gateway to the North (alternative to NH3) or gateway to Gujarat ports? There must be high truck or commercial traffic ti justify 4-laning!
Old 28th December 2010, 23:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am curious to know - what is the strategic importance of the Indore-Neemuch road? Gateway to the North (alternative to NH3) or gateway to Gujarat ports? There must be high truck or commercial traffic ti justify 4-laning!
It is the only main route to Rajasthan, connecting Jaipur, Udaipur, Ajmer, Jodhpur directly to MP. All Rajasthan to MP transport (mainly trucks, public buses) is\are based on this route only. Basically, there are many TOWNS on this road like Mandsaur, Ratlam, Neemuch.. Now due to the transports (in these towns itself and between them, trucks, public buses) the road was having huge traffic, this traffic requirement made the government make the road 4-laned as the traffic was enough to recollect revenues invested on the road making in appropriate times. Now, its upto Rajasthan government how they feel are their traffic handling capabilities of the current roads. If they feel sufficient, than there is no need. Although in Rajasthan I have seen many roads having negligible traffic but still four-laned? (might be keeping in mind future requirements) The Gujarat ports are connected by NH59 directly, no need to follow the Rajasthan route.

Last edited by mercedised : 28th December 2010 at 23:18.
Old 16th January 2011, 12:37   #9
BHPian

Thanks hvkumar, mercedised & Topolino for all your replies!
Sorry, was too tied up with work so could not update this thread.

I have now re-worked the plan a bit to make it as relaxed as it can be.
Had to remove Bikaner from the list as it was getting to stretched..

The new plan with the dates and distances is as follows,
26-Jan-11 - Leg 1 (550km) : Pune-Mumbai-Vapi-Surat-Baroda

27-Jan-11 - Leg 2 (330km) : Baroda-Ahmedabad-Mehsana-Palanpur-Mount Abu

29-Jan-11 - Leg 3 (408km) : Mount Abu-Raniwara-Sanchore-Barmer-Devikot-Jaisalmer

31-Jan-11 - Leg 4 (265km) : Jaisalmer-Pokharan-Ramdevra-Jodhpur

03-Feb-11 - Leg 5 (250km) : Jodhpur-Bar-Beawar-Ajmer Sharif-Beawar

04-Feb-11 - Leg 6 (220km) : Beawar-Nathdwara-Eklingji-Udaipur

06-Feb-11 - Leg 7 (350km) : Udaipur-Banswara-Ratlam-Mhow

07-Feb-11 - Leg 8 (350km) : Mhow-Dharni-Achalpur-Amravati

10-Feb-11 - Leg 9 (550km) : Amravati-Karanja-Jalna-Ahmednagar-Pune
Now a few queries where I need the expert advise by all TBHPians,
  1. Itinerary for Jaisalmer and suggest a vfm Hotel. What would be the approx rent and other expenses?
  2. Itinerary for Udaipur and suggest a vfm Hotel. What would be the approx rent and other expenses? Have identified Jaiwana Haveli there, how good is it? @Topolino - probably you can help here?
  3. I would be leaving Udaipur in the afternoon and planning to stay somewhere close to Mhow or Indore.. What would be a good and safe place to stay there? Suggest some good hotel/resort. Is there some tourist attraction close-by, where I can halt overnight? @mercidised - Any thoughts here?
Never awaited 26th Jan so eagerly!

Thanks!

Last edited by cyclops : 16th January 2011 at 12:38.
Old 16th January 2011, 12:50   #10
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I stayed in Hotel Silver Oak. Loved that place. Easy to get in and out of Indore as it is bang on NH3. Got a double A/C with extra bed for 1100 bucks all inclusive. Car park right in front.
Have a look at the location here.
22.683084,75.858707 - Google Maps
Old 16th January 2011, 13:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

@Jaisalmer:The day you reach Jaisalmer,maybe you could drive straight to Tanot to reach there by 4-5pm and back to J'mer by 8.

Next day morning drive to Sam,dunes,safari etc and leave for Jodhpur after bf in Jaisalmer.

Jaiwana Haveli is good,I think Mobike008 stayed there last week during his drive across RJ.
Old 16th January 2011, 23:53   #12
Senior - BHPian

From Udaipur, I would suggest you take NH76 to Chittorgarh, then connect with NH79 via Neemuch, Mandsaur, Ratlam & lebad, which, barring the first stretch to Neemuch, is now a 4-laned beauty. No idea about the direct Udaipur-Banswara-Ratlam route that you have suggested.

I guess you are going via Chikaldara to visit Meghat WLS. If that is the case, why not halt at Indore for the night and go via Khandwa to Dharni, which route is in good condition now?
Old 17th January 2011, 23:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
From Udaipur, I would suggest you take NH76 to Chittorgarh, then connect with NH79 via Neemuch, Mandsaur, Ratlam & lebad, which, barring the first stretch to Neemuch, is now a 4-laned beauty. No idea about the direct Udaipur-Banswara-Ratlam route that you have suggested.
Ohh, so the route mentioned by mercedised is this one! Udaipur-Chittorgarh-Neemuch-Mandsaur-Ratlam. I thought its the banswara one. Hmm.. So anyone having any updates bout this route? Even i will try to find out from my sources..

Quote:
I guess you are going via Chikaldara to visit Meghat WLS. If that is the case, why not halt at Indore for the night and go via Khandwa to Dharni, which route is in good condition now?
Yes, yes I will be going from Khandwa-Dharni-Chikaldara-Paratwada route only.. No I am not planning to stay at Melghat, will just pass through. And will stay at Indore mostly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
@Jaisalmer:The day you reach Jaisalmer,maybe you could drive straight to Tanot to reach there by 4-5pm and back to J'mer by 8.

Next day morning drive to Sam,dunes,safari etc and leave for Jodhpur after bf in Jaisalmer.

Jaiwana Haveli is good,I think Mobike008 stayed there last week during his drive across RJ.
Thanks for the heads up man! Tanot - for the famous Mandir and proximity to border eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I stayed in Hotel Silver Oak. Loved that place. Easy to get in and out of Indore as it is bang on NH3. Got a double A/C with extra bed for 1100 bucks all inclusive. Car park right in front.
Have a look at the location here.
22.683084,75.858707 - Google Maps
Thanks mate! Can you share contact details for this place??
Old 18th January 2011, 10:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up man! Tanot - for the famous Mandir and proximity to border eh?
Yes the mandir and the drive to Tanot is an experience by itself.The place is approx 25kms from the border,sadly no more access to the Border points anymore for civilians.
Old 18th January 2011, 11:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Last week I was in Bikaner and Jaisalmer.
In Bikaner the fort is good and the Desnoke temple about 25kms from Bikaner.
In Jaisalmer if you want to stay away from the town then there are two places one is Sam dunes which is very commercialized place, the other option is Khuri.
I stayed in this village Khuri with their home food and Camel safari into the desert.
If you are interested in Khuri let me know will give the mobile no. and details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks