Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2011, 19:09   #1
BHPian

Road Update - Mumbai to Karwar, Karwar to Visakhapatnam (Vizag via Hyderabad)

Thanks to Team-Bhp, i was able to get some invaluable inputs into the road conditions for a road trip that i had been planning for a while. Would like to post the latest condition of these roads here for the benefit of others BHPians.

My entire trip was from Mumbai to Visakhapatnam (Vizag) via Karwar. The only reason to go via karwar was to meet up with a friend and spend a few leisurely days on the beautiful Karwar beaches.

Did the journey in three days of driving.

Leg 1 Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Hubli - Ankola - Karwar

Fantastic roads through out. Need not say much about NH4. Brilliant all the way to Hubli.
4 lanes through out, although the last 30 or so kms are 2 lanes.
NH 63 from Hubli to Ankola was no less. 2 lanes but very good condition and sparse traffic.
Was able to do good speeds throughout.

Leg 2 Karwar - Ankola - Hubli - Bijapur - Gulbarga - Humnabad - Hyderabad

Started from Karwar early at 0500. Already mentioned the excellent stretch till Hubli.

After Hubli, it was on to NH 218. A small stretch of around 30-40 kms after Hubli had some bad patches. But Nothing too disturbing. 2 lanes with little traffic, and generally great roads. Was in bijapur by 1100.

Continued on NH 218, and reached Gulbarga by 1320. Road condition -terrific. Had lunch at a road side restaurent in Gulbarga.

The stretch from Gubarga to Homnabad was simply brilliant. Beautiful winding roads. A pleasure to drive.

No problems on Homnabad - Hyderbad route either. Good roads.

Hit Hyderabad by 1745.

Really happy at my decision to take the NH 218 route. Highly recommended.

Leg 3 Hyderabad - Vijaywada - Vizag

Decided to start late from hyderabad at around 1100.
The Hyderabad - Vijaywada stretch is in the process of being converted to a 4 lane road.

The progress was just about decent enough. Did encounter some truck traffic , but not as crippling as i had read about. Was in Vijaywada by 1600.

The Vijaywada - Vizag route is top class. 4 lanes through out. Took some 6 hours of driving, break for dinner incuded.
nvldvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2011, 16:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Road Update - Mumbai to Karwar, Karwar to Visakhapatnam (Vizag via Hyderabad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Leg 1 Mumbai - Pune - Kolhapur - Belgaum - Hubli - Ankola - Karwar

Fantastic roads through out. Need not say much about NH4. Brilliant all the way to Hubli.
4 lanes through out, although the last 30 or so kms are 2 lanes.
NH 63 from Hubli to Ankola was no less. 2 lanes but very good condition and sparse traffic.
Was able to do good speeds throughout.
@nvldvr; I am planning my trip (back) from Kerala to Pune. From Ankola to Pune, I am debating whether I should take the route via Goa to Kolhapur/Belgaum or should I take the one that you took - via Hubli - Belgaum (NH 63). What was your motivation in taking the Hubli route and not the Goa one ?

I have no need to be in Goa and my priorities are maximum distance coverage, less traffic, speed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks