Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

Madurai - Munnar - Thanjavur queries (mainly food-related)

Hi all! We are planning to do "mottai" (head shave) for my sister's kid in Azhagar Kovil near Madurai, on Sunday (Feb 06). I have planned to combine it with Munnar and Thanjavur. So the plan is:

My Plan:

1. Saturday morning start from Chennai and reach Madurai. Check in at Sulochana Palace. (already booked by my brother-in-law)
(Friday night drive avoided because other family members [other than self & wife] start by Saturday morning train, also want to avoid night drive for sleep reasons).

2. Sunday Azhagar Kovil, mottai, formalities, evening roam around Madurai temple etc. Sunday night also stay in Madurai.

3. Monday morning start for Munnar via Theni & Bodi. Stay Mon, Tue & Wed at Munnar. Have booked SN Tourist Home. Planning to park car there and take the hotel's travel facilities to roam around there, so that I can enjoy the places without worrying about routes and language problem to ask routes (dont know Malayalam).

4. Thursday start from Munnar, drive to Thanjavur. Stay at Thanjavur, see the temple and fort.

5. Friday drive back to Chennai through Kumbakonam and Pondy. If possible (if timings permit) see the Chidambaram temple on the way.

----------------------------------------------------

My Queries (mainly related to food, as most of my other stuff is planned):

1. Where to find the best parotta and Jigarthanda in Madurai?

2. Best place to eat in Munnar?

3. Where to find authentic Thanjavur cuisine in Thanjavur?

4. After Theni, (looking at Google maps) the right turn towards Bodhi & Munnar seems to branch off abruptly. Is this easy to miss? Is there a board there?

5. Any idea about timings for Thanjavur temple and Thanjavur fort?

6. What are the must-see places in Munnar? I know there is a lot of information on other threads, but that is the problem, too much information and too many places to see. There seem to be so many places that I get confused what to see and what to miss. What are the best/must-see places in Munnar?

7. What are the best places to fill fuel in the Madurai - Munnar stretch?

Thanks in advance! I will surely write a travelogue with pictures after I'm back. By the way this will be my first long trip in Figo.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 2nd February 2011 at 15:34.
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:34   #2
BHPian

Re: Madurai - Munnar - Thanjavur queries (mainly food-related)

At Theni, after passing the Madurai Meenakshi Bhavan Restaurant, drive for a few kms and you can see a sign board clearly mentioning 'Kumily' straight ahead and for 'Bodi' you need to take a right turn. The signboard for 'Bodi' is not on the main road before the right turn, but on the intersection itself. You can fill up fuel in Theni ( HP pump next to Madurai Meenakshi Bhavan Restaurant) and also maybe in Usilampatti, Andipatti etc.

Last edited by Rajesh K R : 2nd February 2011 at 15:36.
Old 2nd February 2011, 15:59   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

maybe you should pick up a copy of Highway on my plate - the new book of the serial by Rocky and Mayur
its pretty informative about most places as far as food is concerned anyway.
cheers
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
maybe you should pick up a copy of Highway on my plate - the new book of the serial by Rocky and Mayur
cheers
I was about to say that! You stole my words Shankar. I have half a mind to pick that book myself!
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh K R View Post
At Theni, after passing the Madurai Meenakshi Bhavan Restaurant, drive for a few kms and you can see a sign board clearly mentioning 'Kumily' straight ahead and for 'Bodi' you need to take a right turn. The signboard for 'Bodi' is not on the main road before the right turn, but on the intersection itself. You can fill up fuel in Theni ( HP pump next to Madurai Meenakshi Bhavan Restaurant) and also maybe in Usilampatti, Andipatti etc.
Thanks, Rajesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was about to say that! You stole my words Shankar. I have half a mind to pick that book myself!
Umm thanks, but I don't think I have time to pick up a book. I asked a few friends and found out about Madurai and Munnar. It seems the original Murugan Idli Kadai is there in Madurai, and good Jigarthanda can be found at a shop called "FAMOUS" just outside the Thirumalai Nayakar Mahal. And there is a Saravana Bhavan (not original SB, but still ok) in Munnar.

Haven't managed to find out about Thanjavur food though :( . Best bet I guess would be to find an Iyer mess or something. Anyone who's been to Thanjavur, can you recommend me one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks