Team-BHP - Driving between Bangalore and Mysore
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Driving between Bangalore and Mysore (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/96935-driving-between-bangalore-mysore.html)

I had to attend a function yesterday in Mysore and left Bangalore around 1.10 PM at the NICE Road start point on Bannerghatta road. the drive was smooth throughout except for town limits of Ramanagara, Channapatna and Mandya. Nevertheless, we were at the Ring road junction on the outskirts of Mysore in dot two hours in My Scorpio.

The misery started when we left Mysore around 5.30 PM on the way back. Throughout the road was full of vehicles and i could hit 100 only at few stretches before Mandya. After Mandya, it became worse and my speeds dropped to around 80. The worst was to come. This was on the stretch between Ramanagara till NICE junction at Kengeri. The road was chock - a - block and my speed was around 55-60. :Frustrati

I felt that driving on the Outer Ring Road in Bangalore on Sunday would have been faster. We heaved a sigh of relief when we reached NICE road junction.

It took me three hours to reach the Bannerghatta Road point on NICE road. In between we had a break for 20 Mins. Thus an extra 40 mins on the way back due to traffic!!

Moral of the story - Avoid leaving Mysore for Bangalore after 5 PM and plan to leave around 3 PM so that the traffic is less and you can have a comfortable ride.:)

Any other suggestions?

That is very correct. In fact one should plan in such a way, he/she can be home by 5-6PM so that he gets good night's room to be ready for the next day.
(This applies for any returning long drive and not just Mysore).

Sunday afternoons I also felt are decent on the Mysore road.
If possible avoid reaching late on Sunday, when your Monday would be packed at the office.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2252280)
That is very correct. In fact one should plan in such a way, he/she can be home by 5-6PM so that he gets good night's room to be ready for the next day.
(This applies for any returning long drive and not just Mysore).

Sunday afternoons I also felt are decent on the Mysore road.
If possible avoid reaching late on Sunday, when your Monday would be packed at the office.

Even afternoons are not that much better. A few weeks back I passed Mysore Ring road / SH17 junction at about 3PM (on my way back from Wayanad) and the traffic was quite bad even at that hour - took me 2.5 hours to reach Kengeri from there.

Somehow it always seems that there are more people travelling from Mysore to Bangalore than the other way round !!:D (Kengeri to Mysore takes me only 2 hrs or less at most times - but then that's nearly always a morning drive)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kala (Post 2252308)
Even afternoons are not that much better. A few weeks back I passed Mysore Ring road / SH17 junction at about 3PM (on my way back from Wayanad) and the traffic was quite bad even at that hour - took me 2.5 hours to reach Kengeri from there.

Somehow it always seems that there are more people travelling from Mysore to Bangalore than the other way round !!:D (Kengeri to Mysore takes me only 2 hrs or less at most times - but then that's nearly always a morning drive)

There was a political rally in Mysore yesterday by Congress right? Could that have been the reason in addition to weekend traffic?

@Fauji : What a coincidence, i also had to endure enormous amount of traffic when returning from Mysore yesterday evening and was thinking i can initiate a thread on the same. Sir, you have covered what i wanted to convey !!

I also had to attend a function at Mysore and we left BLR around 8 AM and reached MYS around 10.15 and on our return we left Mysore around 4.30 PM and reached BLR by 7.45 PM with a break of 10 mts for coffee.

I have some observations during my miserable drive yesterday :

1) constantly you will have to tailgate (almost) the vehicle in front of you and you have to be ready to brake / stop at any point of time.

2) Another vehicle will be tailgating you (almost always) and you can have a clear view of the occupants of the vehicle behind you. ( It's so close !!)

3) Two wheeler riders ( lots of them) driving in a criss-cross manner without giving a damn for the vehicles coming behind them at high speeds. I shudder to think of the consequences if these morons on 2 wheels swerve to the lane of a vehicle approaching from behind at 3 digit speeds.

4) Cabs / yellow board vehicles not having an iota of patience to wait for the vehicle in front to move and allow them to get in front. They just push / shove their way around.

5) Last but not the least, the innumberable humps/rumbler strips and the so called 'Speed reducing barricades' placed by the police. Everyone loses patience at these barricades and want to get thro' the gates at once and not ready to wait for their turn.

I could breathe freely only after entering the NICE road from Mysore road and then on it was a breeze upto my home !!

I have been driving between BLR & MYS since 1998 and would rate my return journey from MYS yesterday evening as the most miserable of them all.:Frustrati

By the way, what vehicle were you driving? Did you happen to see my Black Wagon-R with LCLC pasted on the rear bumper ?

Every Sunday after 1Pm, it is same story. Worst will be in summer, during school vacations and also on long weekends.

Similarly the traffic is at its worst, on Saturday morning from Bangalore to Mysore. So avoid Saturday mornings from Bangalore to Mysore (Friday night is better option) and start from Mysore before 1PM on Sunday or Monday morning.

manju

Am a regular on this route and avoid driving back at those hours like plague. I drive almost every weekend from Mysore and leave only by 8pm. Takes me exactly 2hrs and 10 mins to cover 148kms door to door.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 2252495)
Am a regular on this route and avoid driving back at those hours like plague. I drive almost every weekend from Mysore and leave only by 8pm. Takes me exactly 2hrs and 10 mins to cover 148kms door to door.

Have you shifted to Mysore ??? Yes, during one of my previous visits, i left Mysore around 9.15 pm and reached home around 11.30 PM with a break of around 45 mts for dinner also. It was quite peaceful driving at that time !!

Hi Fauji, Absolutely agree to your point. I was driving back from Mysore to Bangalore on the 13-Feb weekend and it was a nightmare. Infact I started from Mysore at about 2PM itself. Still the traffic was very bad and it was like city traffic all the way from Mysore to Bangalore. Having driven my Punto for 18000 kms to different places, I have never felt tired even after very long drives. Bangalore - Kanyakumari which is in excess of 700kms was a breeze to drive in the same day. However, for the first time in the history of driving my Punto, I ended up with a severe headache that evening for just 140 kms.

Mysore-Bangalore desperately needs another alternate road. We have an option in the form of Kanakapura road. Unfortunately it is maintained in very bad condition. Thanks to government apathy, the NICE road connecting Mysore has never really taken off in the past 15 years.

Yes true . Being a mysoreian , I have been using this road almost every weekend since wayback in 1994 , when it was still a single road .

I generally start late night after 8pm or early morning by 5am and if you have to do it during the day , the best time i would suggest is between 10am and 3pm either way. My few cents :).

I believe this is true of almost all cities now as there is a lot of weekend traffic returning from outings to city areas on Sunday evenings. The Satara road coming into Pune is a key example for Punekars

It's the same on all weekends. Saturday morning from Bangalore and Sunday evening from Mysore. More so on holidays. It took me 3.5 hours during the New Year holidays and I stay in Vijayanagar.
While going, it's better if you can reach Mysore Road by 6 AM, that ways you can avoid traffic and while coming back either leave early (by 2 PM) or leave on Monday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopikb (Post 2252505)
We have an option in the form of Kanakapura road. Unfortunately it is maintained in very bad condition.

2 weeks back I had to take Bangalore-Mysore road via Kanakapura/Malavalli. This road is good 90% of the distance. Hardly any traffic. I recommend this road for peace of mind. For most part, this a 4 lane road without any divider. Biggest drawback is the metro construction work on Kanakapura road. For folks going towards BTM, they can take NICE road from Kanakapura road to Bannerghatta road.

msdivy, This is an interesting piece of information. I should have reserved my comments on Kanakapura road until I drove through it. I have read in the forum before that Kanakapura road is bad. So it was just in the back of my mind that the road is really worse. Sorry about it and thanks for clarifying the true picture.

By the way, what is the difference in distance between the two routes to Mysore and how long doe it take for you to drive one way? For regular travelers every weekend do you recommend taking the Kanakapura road?

Even I felt same during one Sunday when I went to Mysore in Safari with some of our guests to visit Mysore Palace and Vrindavan Garden. From Vrindavan garden, I started around 7:30 PM and reached Whitefield at 11:30 PM.

In the evening traffic increases many times. Most irritating drivers are cab drivers and they are full of impatience. I always try to keep safe distance from them, I never know when they touch me from any side.

In the map, one more road shows from Kanakpura side. Anybody traveled that road and confirm the condition here?