Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2011, 11:20   #1
BHPian

Jim Corbett and surroundings in end May ?

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Jim Corbett and surrounding areas end of May. Will it be too hot at this time ? What other cooler places can I cover besides Jim Corbett like Nainital etc. ?

Thanks.
Old 24th February 2011, 12:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Jim Corbett and surroundings in end May ?

Yes, it will be very hot. But I am not sure if the park is open.
That said, summer is a good time for tiger spotting as waterning holes are few, and tiger will definitely come to the bigger holes atleast once a day.
Old 24th February 2011, 16:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Nainital is the only place that you can cover along with a JC park trip as both are very close.

That said, JC will be hot and you may get a little respite in the mountains in Nainital. Do book in advance as it will be heavily crowded due that time being peak season.
Old 24th February 2011, 16:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
Hello,

I am planning a trip to Jim Corbett and surrounding areas end of May. Will it be too hot at this time ? What other cooler places can I cover besides Jim Corbett like Nainital etc. ?

Thanks.
JC will be hot during those times.
The other places you can go can be Almora (if lucky you can spot a very beautiful Himalaya Darshan) and Kasauni (its solitude and peace).
Old 24th February 2011, 16:52   #5
BHPian

I am going to Jim Corbett tomorrow for 3 days. Can check for these things for you. BTW - I have hired self drive car from Avis. Will share my experience once I came back.
Old 24th February 2011, 19:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Which car are you driving? And waht is the cost for hiring it from Avis?
Old 24th February 2011, 23:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not only will it be super-hot, but also very crowded in all the hill stations like Nainital. Be sure to ensure your Gypsy booking for entry into the Corbett Park (some of the gates are open like Jirani through the year) since only limited vehicles are allowed in.
Old 25th February 2011, 11:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

@golfdude: you can read my travelogue of Jim Corbett that I visited in April 2010. That will give you a fair idea about the weather, the procedure and the nearby places of interest.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ted-quest.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yes, it will be very hot. But I am not sure if the park is open.
That said, summer is a good time for tiger spotting as waterning holes are few, and tiger will definitely come to the bigger holes atleast once a day.
Corbett National Park remains open throughout the year for the visitors from Jhirna zone. Every year Bijrani zone gets operational from Mid of October and the core area of the national park Dhikala zone get operational from 15th of Nov. The main reason for closure of the Bijrani, Sarpduli & Dhikala zone during the rest of the year is due to monsoons most of the roads get washed away. Repair work starts after the rains end and it is only by October to November that roads to Bijrani and Dhikala are back in motorable condition.

Winter: November to February

Summer: March to June

Monsoon: July to October (park closed)

However Corbett National Park remains open throughout the year for the visitors from Jhirna zone but the best time to visit Corbett is from 15th November to 15th June because during this period of time all the tourism zones of Corbett are open for visitors and one can visit the entire national park area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Not only will it be super-hot, but also very crowded in all the hill stations like Nainital. Be sure to ensure your Gypsy booking for entry into the Corbett Park (some of the gates are open like Jirani through the year) since only limited vehicles are allowed in.

Last edited by gd1418 : 25th February 2011 at 11:29.
Old 25th February 2011, 11:49   #9
BHPian

>>>

If increasing the probability of watching wildlife (apart from experiencing nature up close) is the primary objective, then going to Corbett during summer ( April -May -June) makes eminent sense. The sources of water for all wildlife shrink and the watering holes become ideal places to spot them.

Coming to places near to Corbett during the peak summer season (April-May-June) when schools close for the annual vacations in the plains, you might like to check out places which are somewhat off the beaten track. Established destinations like Nainital, Almora, and Mussoorie (further away in Garhwal) will be choc- a bloc with noisy crowds.

Places near Corbett ( essentially in the Nainital district) include such quiet places as Ramgarh, Mukteshwar, Bhimtal and Naukuchiatal. Places in Almora district includes Ranikhet, Jageshwar, Chaukhutia.

Further afield, in Bageshwar district you might like to check out Binsar and Kausani. In Pithoragarh there is Chaukori and Munsiyari.

In Uttarakhand and in Kumaon, the possibilities are endless.

And at the serious risk of sounding like a salesman and incurring the wrath of the moderators here, the byline of the Kumaon tourism department has not got it wrong when they describe Kumaon as " Simply Heaven".

Do check out the logistics of accommodation and zero in based on your requirements, cuisine and budget.

Regards, drive safe
Old 25th February 2011, 11:57   #10
BHPian

Hi,

Well I have been to Corbett and it was not a very good experience, you will find that there's a jeep mafia of some kind. If you reach at 7:30am you will find that that entry permits are already exhausted but these gypsy guys will "arrange" it for you. I really really don't want to sound like a pessimist but I felt there is nothing worthwhile at Corbett and you will be disappointed with the overall experience.

If it is only for tiger, Ranthambore or Sariska is a better bet.

but I'll tell what..checkout any travelogue by tsk1979, I bet you will change your plans and travel a bit "Further".
Old 1st March 2011, 11:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure you must have returned back from Corbett. Mind sharing your experience?

A travelogue in the Travelogue section would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
I am going to Jim Corbett tomorrow for 3 days. Can check for these things for you. BTW - I have hired self drive car from Avis. Will share my experience once I came back.
Old 1st March 2011, 20:23   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I'm sure you must have returned back from Corbett. Mind sharing your experience?

A travelogue in the Travelogue section would be appreciated.
I am returning from Jim Corbett. Had an incredible trip, two of us (college buddies) took a Ford Endeavour on rent from Avis. The hiring went on smooth and the vehicle is in good condition (The vehicle has run around 70000 KMs). They gave us a good deal. 4 days hiring costed us around Rs. 10000/-.

Though did not sight any tigers on our 2 days safari but meeting old friends and wining and dining - worth the effort. Though we were fortunate to have elephant sightings.

Last edited by onesomeone : 1st March 2011 at 20:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks