Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2011, 22:27   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangkok - Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandlimitedlife View Post
@vb-san: The idea of going around in local_bus, tuk-tuk etc is just for the experience. Having gone to Bangkok and not being on a tuk-tuk ride that has been bargained by you, and the tuk-tuk driver taking you shopping even if you dont want it for the sake of getting fuel coupons is an experience in itself. I am not sure if you agree
Totally agree on the experience front. But after staying 2 years in Bangkok, I am kind of vary of the Tuk-Tuks, and some them (I mean, the drivers) are on a continous beer diet and could take entertainment to a different level

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
and keep a spare copy of your return flight ticket.
Excellent point. Nowadays they insist on seeing return air ticket / eTicket copy.
Reason: There are many tourists in Thailand, who enter on a 15 days visit visa (VoA) and stay up there for years!
Old 28th March 2011, 11:00   #17
BHPian

Oh !!! I forgot BEWARE: Dont use your credit card carelessly in each and every shop that will accept it in Thailand. Lot of fraud happens in this regard. Unless you know it is a Kingdom of Thailand shop / very reputed place pay by cash. Some banks like Citibank insist on cancelling your card and issuing you a new one if they see that you used your card in Thailand.

I used my Credit Card on asiarooms.com which is absolutely fine, in Gems Gallery which is a renowned place. But mostly stuck to cash dealings.
Old 28th March 2011, 12:54   #18
BHPian

Thanks all again for your valuable input. After a lot of thought put into my iterinary i have come up with one but have now increased the number of my days stay not to mention the budget too.
21st may: Leave for BKK (kingfisher arrives in the evening so nothing can be done on this day)
22nd May: Fly to Phuket and enjoy day there
23rd May: Go to Phi Phi and enjoy watersports and other stuff
24th May: Return from Phi Phi and relax in Phuket
25th May: Back to BKK and carry shopping bags for wifey.
26th May: a trip to safari park and other places of interest.
27th May: return back Mumbai
This is the rough work that i have done.
What say guys?
Old 29th March 2011, 11:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
after staying 2 years in Bangkok, I am kind of vary of the Tuk-Tuks, and some them (I mean, the drivers) are on a continous beer diet and could take entertainment to a different level
@vb-san,
i may need your input for coming trip of ''Rajababues in Thailand!!!''

Keeping eye on this thread!!!!
Old 29th March 2011, 11:22   #20
Team-BHP Support

All the activities in phi-phi involve a whole day. You might want to ensure you have a whole uninterrupted day
Old 29th March 2011, 12:04   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@vb-san,
i may need your input for coming trip of ''Rajababues in Thailand!!!''
Well, I can definitely try to help with my limited knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
All the activities in phi-phi involve a whole day. You might want to ensure you have a whole uninterrupted day
Very true. What I did on my last trip to Krabi was to take full day tour from the hotel. It covered Phi-Phi, Ma-ya Bay (where the Di Caprio movie Beach was shot), and a few other islands.
Old 29th March 2011, 13:07   #22
BHPian

yup that is the plan to spend one complete day at phi phi. so now i guess this is a good itinerary to follow right.
Old 29th March 2011, 13:33   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky_GT View Post
yup that is the plan to spend one complete day at phi phi. so now i guess this is a good itinerary to follow right.
Yes, the plan looks much better with the additional days added in. One point though - Just one day (26th May) for Safari Park and other attractions looks too ambitious. If are not so particular on Safari park, leave that out, do the Grand Palace and related attractions in the morning, and in the afternoon, take a cab to Muang Boran (Ancient City). It is in the Samut Prakhan district outside Bangkok, and is around 45 mins to 1 hour by cab.

Couple of options for 25th or 26th night.
1) Maybe try for a dinner cruise on the chao praya river.
2) Leave some time for a visit to Pat Pong on 25th or 26th night (you can do this after the dinner cruise as well). Other than being the redlight spot, Pat pong is excellent for Bargain shopping (almost as good as Chatuchak weekend market). You can start asking from as low as 20% of the original asking price, and finally settle for 30-40%.

Disclaimer: All these, if you can waive off the menu cards thrown at you
Old 29th March 2011, 13:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Other than being the redlight spot, Pat pong is excellent for Bargain shopping (almost as good as Chatuchak weekend market). You can start asking from as low as 20% of the original asking price, and finally settle for 30-40%.
You mean frantically keying into the calculator
Old 29th March 2011, 20:51   #25
BHPian

Have a fair bit of experience myself bargaining 4 months in the mongkok streets in HK. I know how the calculator bargaining works so i think should be able to do good.
Old 31st March 2011, 13:50   #26
BHPian

Try Online Hotel Discount Reservations Worldwide - Book Your Hotel With Agoda. They have great discounts on all hotels. I had gone last year and stayed at Amari watergate. The best part is that it is centrally located and just 10 mins walk from the skytrain. All the best for your trip.
Old 30th May 2011, 11:35   #27
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys have almost completed my booking flying on 19th.
Got another query now, whats the best place to get my vitamin M converted to Bahts.
I understand if i am planning to get a visa on arrival i will have to show my money in advance.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:11   #28
BHPian

Fellow Bhpians have another query that i need your help for, getting the visa for Thailand before hand, i need this because we plan to take a flight to Phuket after landing and my at BKK. The two options we had were a 10:50 flight or the 1:30 flight. We will be landing at 8:30 local time so am not sure if i can get the visa and other formalities done on reaching. If anyone knows of a reliable source to get the visa formalities done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks