Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 10:41   #1
BHPian

A week's vacation in April - Kodai and nearby places.

I'm planning a week's vacation in April. We've wanted to visit Kodai since a long time, so this seems to be our first choice. I have a few questions:

1. I'll be travelling with my family (I'll be doing most of the driving). The distance isn't an issue given I have a week. But I do want to make sure that I take good roads.

2. I guess 2-3 nights in Kodai must be good. I need suggestions on other places I can visit around Kodai. Since I have a week I was planning on covering Munnar too. I had actually been to Munnar many years ago, but am okay going there again. I am willing to try out other places too.

3. We had a bad experience in Coonor last summer. The accommodation was too expensive and Coonor/Ooty were very crowded. Would Kodai and the other places be the same in April? Just want to be mentally prepared.

4. What would the weather be like in these places?

5. Do suggest where I can stay in these places.
Old 16th March 2011, 10:48   #2
BHPian

Re: A week's vacation in April - Kodai and nearby places.

Most of these well known hill stations like Ooty and kodai will be crowded during the summer. If you are looking for a good calm, peaceful, serene vacation, why not consider places like Coorg or Waynad or any places around Western Ghats ? These places less crowded compared to Ooty and Kodai.

Cheers,
rajesh
Old 16th March 2011, 11:01   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Most of these well known hill stations like Ooty and kodai will be crowded during the summer. If you are looking for a good calm, peaceful, serene vacation, why not consider places like Coorg or Waynad or any places around Western Ghats ? These places less crowded compared to Ooty and Kodai.

Cheers,
rajesh
I second Rajesh. Kodai would be as crowded as Ooty/Coonoor and even perhaps Munnar. However, Coorg and Waynad may/would not be as cooler as Ooty/Kodai. I had been on a two day trek in Waynad last week and except in the interiors, you can easily see summer setting in. If you seen Coorg/Waynad b/w Jul-Nov, you will not like it a bit in Summer.

Other option is to avoid the main touristy attractions in Ooty/Kodai and stay in some remote homestay or a resort. You get best of both. Red Hills in Ooty is one such place. Coorg/Waynad has some good homestays and some of these are in the middle of a coffee/tea estate far far away from the crowds. Pl. do consider this option.

Prasad
Old 16th March 2011, 11:04   #4
Team-BHP Support

If not Munnar, you can also add Valparai. Nice location and less crowds compared to Munnar.
Old 17th March 2011, 16:41   #5
BHPian

Thanks folks for your suggestions.

I have been to Coorg several times and Waynad too. My dilemma is also that I have a week and want to make most of it. Kodai was the only place I hadn't seen. I wouldn't mind opting for a remote resort in Kodai.

I could try 2 nights in Kodai and proceed to Valparai. Isn't Pollachi also close to this? I'll look up other threads for information on Valparai. But do let me know if you have suggestions on where to stay, etc.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:34   #6
BHPian

Yes. Valparai is close to Pollachi.

Other attractions near/around Valparai:
Top slip
Aliyar dam
Balaji Temple (Nice view of hills)
Monkey Falls (Will be crowded during summer)
Athirapally Falls (There is a road between Valparai & Athirapally for about 50 kms i guess, which is scenic but may not be in good condition. Athirapally could be bit crowded as well, but there are resorts close to river where you can have a peaceful stay)
Old 17th March 2011, 19:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

The road to Valparai goes via Pollachi. So any way you will need to touch Pollachi.

Route from Kodai:

Kodai-Batlagundu-Sembatti-Oddanchatram-Palani-Udumalpettai-Pollachi-Valparai.
(NH45-NH209).

PS: I also learnt just some time back that you wont need to go all the way till Dindigul, but take a deviation from Sembatti to intercept NH209.

Last edited by ampere : 17th March 2011 at 19:43.
Old 17th March 2011, 19:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hill Country in Kodai is away from the crowd, and you'll get your space there.

Since you haven't been to Kodai, it really makes it an interesting drive and destination for you.

I was told the road to kodai via Palani is closed. So you'll be going via Kodai road Junction.

Kodai touristy darshan would take half day, and a half day for Berijam. That makes it 1 day of outing and the crowds. You can beat the crowd by doing this on a weekday.

Rest the next two days at Hill Country or a good resort.

Next Options for you are Munnar and valparai.

Considering you come down to kodai road, and you go to Munnar, exit from Munnar via the Chinnar Marayoor route to Udumalpettu, and head to Pollachi and Valparai.

Munnar since you have been I'd Suggest 2 nights and Valparai another 2 Nights.

Return either via Pollachi Coimbatore (better) or go to Athirampally falls and return via Palghat Coimbatore (traffic, bad roads). The second option will force you to leave early from valparai.

That makes it 7 nights.

Some info here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ur-munnar.html
Old 17th March 2011, 20:17   #9
BHPian

Kodai would definitely be crowded. But i guess since you have a week, you might still want to do Kodai and Munnar. This also featured in your original plan. In Kodai, there are plenty of hotels around the lake and around the bus stand. Since you have a car, location of the accomodation should not matter. Google or visit a site like holidayiq.com and search for accomodation that suits your budget. For 1500 bucks you should be able to find a decent place
Old 21st March 2011, 08:51   #10
BHPian

Thanks folks. We've decided to do Kodai, Munnar and Valparai. I'm a little concerned about the heat in Valparai though.

@laluks: Thanks. I'll plan Kodai-Munnar-Valparai as suggested. I was planning to start on a Saturday (which doesn't seem like a good idea now). I'm trying to get some accommodation in Hill Country.

How is Villa Retreat located?

BTW is it safe to be visiting TN, Kerala in the election week?

Last edited by CBlazer : 21st March 2011 at 08:53.
Old 21st March 2011, 09:47   #11
BHPian

HI,

I have a similar trip planned for April. Bangalore-Munnar-Kodai-Valparai. To avoid the crowd we have planned to stay at KDHP Topstation estate bunglow in Munnar and Glendale estate bunglow in Valparai. The weekend days of the leg are at Valparai which should be the least crowded of the three. Munnar and Kodai will be covered during weekdays. We have booked Villa Retreat for Kodai stay.

Rgds

Vindy
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:10   #12
BHPian

Thanks. BTW I hear the kitchen is not functional in Villa Retreat till mid-April. Are there good places to eat nearby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
We have booked Villa Retreat for Kodai stay.
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:46   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Thanks. BTW I hear the kitchen is not functional in Villa Retreat till mid-April. Are there good places to eat nearby?
Villa Retreat is very close to coaker's walk. I remember seeing many chocolate shops, but no hotel. But within 5 minutes of drive, I think there are many.
Old 23rd March 2011, 20:17   #14
BHPian

Ampere ji, need you advice on Petrol bunks in this route. I will be starting full tank from the Shell outlet in BG road, Bangalore. Where do you suggest topups (route is Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Munnar-Kodai-Valparai-Athirampilly-Kochi)
Old 24th March 2011, 23:58   #15
BHPian

We are considering Kodai Resort Hotel and Great Escapes Resort, Munnar for our stay. Anyone here have stayed in these places?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VindyWheels View Post
Ampere ji, need you advice on Petrol bunks in this route. I will be starting full tank from the Shell outlet in BG road, Bangalore. Where do you suggest topups (route is Bangalore-Salem-Perundurai-Munnar-Kodai-Valparai-Athirampilly-Kochi)
I would appreciate this information too. AFAIK, there is a Reliance petrol pump just before Salem and one more just after. And since I'll be going to Kodai first there is also one just before Namakkal. All of these are on the RHS as one goes away from Bangalore. This is based on my trip to TVM in Nov 2010.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks