Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 21:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai - ? (preferably South)

I suddenly have 5 days at my disposal. So I've decided to go for a long road trip from Mumbai.

I've done a lot of trips within 400 kms of Mumbai and/or within Maharashtra. So this time, I wish to go Southwards to Karnataka (or elsewhere, as you guys can suggest).

1. I thought of doing a coastal Karnataka drive. I was planning Mumbai-Karwar-Murdeshwar-Jog Falls). However, upon checking with HV Kumar sir, he mentioned that it'll be too hot to go for this.

2. The other route I planned is Mumbai-Chikamanglur/Coorg-Dandeli-Devbagh. However, all resorts at Dandeli and most at Devbagh are sold out.

Please suggest a route! I'm ok for a distance upto 700 kms from Mumbai.
Old 19th April 2011, 22:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai - ? (preferably South)

Anything down south and on a beach or mountain will terribly overbooked and overpriced. Why not head out to MP. Pachmarhi will be a good spot
Old 20th April 2011, 14:30   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hmmm, lets see.

- 5 day holiday
- Toward KA
- Coastal drive
- Distance upto 700 kms from Mumbai

There is only one answer : GOA! About 600 kms, the most fun destination there is for a holiday in India, excellent drive from Mumbai....and there are lots of spots around for your coastal drive.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hmmm, lets see.

- 5 day holiday
- Toward KA
- Coastal drive
- Distance upto 700 kms from Mumbai

There is only one answer : GOA! About 600 kms, the most fun destination there is for a holiday in India, excellent drive from Mumbai....and there are lots of spots around for your coastal drive.
LoL. I knew that would be the most obvious answer! However, I have done Goa so many times that I dont want to repeat! Unless....you can suggest me really offbeat in/around Goa.

How about Tarkarli / Malvan / Amboli?
Old 20th April 2011, 15:01   #5
BHPian

Explore Hampi/Badami/Aihole and Pattadakkal. It is around 700Km from here. Enroute you can stop at Kolhapur if you wish to. I guess it will be pretty warm and hence crowds will hopefully be much less. See the following thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...e-hampi-2.html by libranof1987.
He has just been there couple of weeks back and says it is doable in the weather.
Am planning to risk it this weekend!
Old 20th April 2011, 15:08   #6
BHPian

Most of the coastal places will be too hot at this time of the year. If you enjoy rain, then you might be interested in Coorg, Wayanad, Jog Falls, Chickmagalur, etc.,
Old 20th April 2011, 15:09   #7
BHPian

Check out Dandeli. This is near Goa and offers quite a few outdoor activities like white water rafting, trekking, rappelling and the sort.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
2. The other route I planned is Mumbai-Chikamanglur/Coorg-Dandeli-Devbagh. However, all resorts at Dandeli and most at Devbagh are sold out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
Check out Dandeli. This is near Goa and offers quite a few outdoor activities like white water rafting, trekking, rappelling and the sort.
As I mentioned, everything is sold out at Dandeli and Devbagh.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:59   #9
BHPian

How about going a bit further down south from Goa. I am referring to the beaches of Karwar and Gokarn.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:37   #10
Team-BHP Support

You will not enjoy Hampi now; it is getting hot so roaming around the ruins will be a pain.

About Chikmagalur, Wayanad, Jog Falls, Kemmangund, Coorg : these are all places you should visit after August. I was at Jog Falls at this time in '09; trust me, the water spread was about a few metres. It is not worth it now.

Since you have 5 days, why don't you go for a trip along the coast : Gokarna, Murudeshwar, Malpe (Udupi), Mangalore.

If you just want to camp, how about Palolem : not routine like Goa but still in Goa. I just can't get enough of that place!
Old 21st April 2011, 15:43   #11
BHPian

If you fancy 5 days in the wilderness and doing nothing then i would recommend Chickmagalur - you might want to give a shout at 09448245240 called Totdahalli Estate. This is a home stay and a great place for a family holiday. I had been there last August and had a very good time. The home stay is at the foothills of Mulangiri amidst 100 acres of coffee.
Old 21st April 2011, 17:20   #12
BHPian

If you just want to drive and have fun then GOA via NH-4 upto Belgaum and then NH-4A to GOA. STUNNING ROAD.
Old 21st April 2011, 21:13   #13
BHPian

1. Head North-
Mumbai-Ahmedabad one day. Udaipur- Jaipur Day 2
Jaipur-Bikaner-Jaisalmer Day 3. Beg/Borrow/Steal a ride to Tanot and Longewala, Day 4
Jaisalmer-Ahmedabad- Day 5
Ahmedabad-Mumbai Day 6.

Now if you are solidly up for ONLY 5 days, then on Day 4 leave by 0700 for Tanot+ Longewala and return by 12 Noon.
Leave Jaisalmer by 1300 and hit Ahmedabad by 2230 0r 2100.

Forget the south.... but here goes anyway.

D1- same old kolhapur, Belgaum, stay at Karwar. 50+ but easily doable in a day
D2- Karwar-Coorg- some 400Km
D3- Coorg- Ooty (drive thru Bandipur, Mudumalai, many ways to reach the top) 250- odd Km, depending on route, should take the whole day
D4-Leave Ooty via the many U-turn route, head for Mysore, Bangalore- Davangere abotu 525Km
D5- Drive your heart out, leave at 0930 after the famous Davangere breakfast, reach Mumbai in about 10 hours driving time.

You wanted a driving holiday, this is what your travel chart should look like.

KD
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:14   #14
Team-BHP Support

You can try Yellapur. Banana County for two days and head down to Sirsi/Jog/Yana.

Lot of places to visit nearby.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks