Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2011, 00:54   #31
BHPian

Re: WTB: Used Chevy Optra 1.6 or 1.8 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharsethi View Post
Luckily, its been working perfectly for about a year. Let me know and I'll PM you his number.
Yeah, sure tushar it would be of great help.

Last edited by manson : 11th May 2011 at 01:18.
Old 11th May 2011, 01:43   #32
BHPian

Hi Rahul,

Your PM Won't work because you haven't got to 25 posts yet. The number is 9650562016. Guys name is Amit. Don't rely too much on him and be there when they check out the car. Another option is the Chevy showroom in Sec-10. That's about 5 mins from this place.

Mods: I hope it isn't a problem giving out the contact details like this. Please remove it if it is.

Cheers
tusharsethi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2011, 15:10   #33
BHPian

Hi Rahul,

Any updates on the purchase, were you able to purchase the car(1.6 or 1.8) after verifications?

Regards
Ravi
Old 24th June 2011, 14:18   #34
BHPian

Hi all...I’m still looking for a good car. I've got some option but there is pile of doubts regarding buying them. But in the mean time I’ve learn to drive. The cars I’m looking are Delhi registered and my home is in U.P., the seller says that the ownership (which is currently in name of a Co.) can't be transferred to the person belonging to another state...is it so? and second the car i looked have paint chipped off and little rust topically under bonnet area, on the rail above radiator on which bonnet rests. Also there were few rust spots on front door corner from the inside...is that a sign of body rusting or is it normal? The rear left door was feeling tighter than the other ones, also there was some oil spilled on the engine but there was no leakage as i didn't found any oil spots when the vehicle moved after being halted for a while. For the oil spillage the seller told me that it may have spilled by the mechanic guys mistakenly when the car last went for service.

Now the story of the vehicle i saw...according to the seller (person dealing with me), he is an employee of the owner of the car who currently live in UK and the vehicle is bought in the name of a Co. that belongs to the owner of the car. The car has been driven single handedly by the owner but he left the vehicle 6 months ago when he went to UK. After that vehicle was being standing in garage for 1 month approx. He then got it from the owner paying 2.2 lacs w/o ownership transfer as he was willing to make some money by selling it on little higher price. According to the person he personally owns a Corsa and drives this Optra in weekends to keep it in running condition. He don't have any service history of the car and even don't know which GM workshop it was been taken by the company driver for regular servicing. But he's saying that I can test the vehicle by any means and any methods or by any person/workshop to know about the condition of it. He said that he's being personally using it since a long time and there are no problems with it.

The car was also looking ok to me in appearance though even the car was dirty. He brought the vehicle w/o any wash and cleaning from out/inside of it. Car has done around 72K Kms and is a LT 1.8 june-04 model. He quoted 2.4Lcas for it and finally after bargaining he has agreed on 2.1Lacs w/o any servicing and 2.2Lacs w servicing (I offered 1.8Lacs as final offer from my side). What should i do now? Does the vehicle seems genuine or worthy to you guys? Should i get it checked from Chevrolet service center or any other place and how much they may charge for examining the car? Please do give your suggestions and help...
Old 24th June 2011, 19:05   #35
BHPian

I cannot comment on the condition but with the km's clocked and 2004 model I think your offer of 1.8lac was pretty decent considering the resale of optra in the market.
And its a buyers market you can always look for other optra's.
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:54   #36
BHPian

The idea of buying Chevy Optra has been dropped now...! Reasons were some technical and some personal Now finally, at last I've bought an Indica Vista Aura QJD Mods can close the thread, as its purpose is over. Thanks to all BHPians for their valuable inputs.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th June 2015 at 06:32. Reason: Smileys - only 2 permitted per post. Thanks!
Old 10th June 2015, 22:23   #37
BHPian

Hey guys, i was just wondering why is the resale value of a used Optra so less ? I could find many Optra's 2004-2005 Model with CNG already fitted and cost is around 1.50Lakhs approx. Some of them are even single owner. It looks like a very tempting deal for me as I currently have a 2002 Hyundai Accent. It would be a great upgrade for me
I'm really thinking about selling my current car and upgrading to a used Optra.
What do you guys think ?
Old 11th June 2015, 01:03   #38
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrish90 View Post
Hey guys, i was just wondering why is the resale value of a used Optra so less ? I could find many Optra's 2004-2005 Model with CNG already fitted and cost is around 1.50Lakhs approx. Some of them are even single owner. It looks like a very tempting deal for me as I currently have a 2002 Hyundai Accent. It would be a great upgrade for me
What do you guys think ?
A good deal no doubt but also likely to be high on maintenance. If you do pick one up try to select the top model with sunroof which has much better interiors. The Royale variant.
Old 11th June 2015, 17:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What do you guys think ?
Dear Hrish

They are not in production now. Also, GM ASC is not a very pro active one.
Expect spares to be expensive and many of the outside FNGs may not be able to source you alternatives.

Keep atleast Rs. 1.5/ km towards maintenance considering a 10000 km/year mileage of a 10 year vintage Optra.

Also, to source, try the LT variant like ACM mentioned. You get all the goodies with it.
Mind you, Optra is a very capable car and has a plush ride.
Old 11th June 2015, 19:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys...I'm really thinking about selling my current car and upgrading to a used Optra.
What do you guys think ?
Hey there!

What car do you currently own, if you don't mind me asking?

I bought a used Optra some years ago, and I'm happy to tell you that it is indeed a very good car.
With a very plush ride, it's no boy-racer or corner carver.
But it is a fantastic long distance cruiser. Interiors are surprisingly well put together!
My car is 11 years old, and I kid you not, there isn't a single squeak or rattle from anywhere!
Dual barrel headlamps are great, engine is very silent, NVH is pretty good.

However, maintenance can be quite expensive. AC Compressor is known to be problematic.
Please understand that the car you're thinking of buying was not a cheap car at any point.
It has a low resale for varying reasons, but the fact remains that the car originally was from the C2 segment.

So while you can buy a used Optra for peanuts, don't expect to shell out the same when you see the bills after servicing

Leaving all that aside, I would not recommend the Optra to anyone today.
Reason being: it's gone out of production since 2012! You shouldn't have problem with spare parts as such, provided you know a good FNG, but still, why take a chance!

Instead, save some more, and get a car which still has years to go before it goes out of production
Old 12th June 2015, 11:03   #41
BHPian

Thanks ACM, Arnab & Sourav for your advice. Sourav, I've already mentioned in my post, i drive a 2002 Hyundai Accent.

I also discussed it with a friend and he advised the same, the spares can be expensive, maintenance can be high. He suggested me to go for a Honday City ZX instead which is having the same resale value on OLX for a 2004-2005 model.
Old 12th June 2015, 11:15   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ACM, Arnab & Sourav for your advice. Sourav, I've already mentioned in my post, i drive a 2002 Hyundai Accent.

I also discussed it with a friend and he advised the same, the spares can be expensive, maintenance can be high. He suggested me to go for a Honday City ZX instead which is having the same resale value on OLX for a 2004-2005 model.
That's a sensible choice. Stay away from GM, that too re-sale models. Maintenance, availability of parts can be a big nuisance. Pick up Honda/Maruti if you want something trouble free.
Old 19th June 2015, 21:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
That's a sensible choice. Stay away from GM, that too re-sale models. Maintenance, availability of parts can be a big nuisance. Pick up Honda/Maruti if you want something trouble free.
Thanks for the heads up! But even if it is a Honda / Maruti, an 8-9 year old car should be a little high on maintenance i guess!
Old 24th October 2018, 14:03   #44
BHPian

Do we still get spares for the Optra? I'm talking about the genuine ones. I do know the support would have ended in 2014 (The 7 year rule) but I'm just curious. Or do we just have to go to the scrap market and scour the inventories available there?
Old 24th October 2018, 14:31   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard1955 View Post
Do we still get spares for the Optra? I'm talking about the genuine ones. I do know the support would have ended in 2014 (The 7 year rule) but I'm just curious. Or do we just have to go to the scrap market and scour the inventories available there?
Not sure. Though I was always under the impression that it was a 10 year rule and not 7. I could be wrong.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks