Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2006, 12:33   #16
Team-BHP Support

I agree Boom. Moms are cool! Esp those who drove you to "Mood I" when you were 15 :-) LOL

Will ask her to drive the CVT with the "S" on. Wonder if Arya Honda will like that. Last sales person was very nervous when my mom got past 70km on Worli Sea Face.

He kept calling her aunty she kept getting more bugged. The those wipers went off (she was trying to indicate a lane change) and she almost bit the sales guy's head off.

BTW guys thanks for the wonderful response.
Old 31st January 2006, 13:28   #17
BHPian

hi
i would say she should go in for the honda city CVT

or if u can wait then you can get the civic in CVT form (may be...not sure)
Old 31st January 2006, 13:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Chevy Aveo (ASS?, will the sell the US version)
Optra SVR notch back

Any ideas.
If you have the time to wait, both the above are good contenders for the post.
Old 31st January 2006, 14:05   #19
BHPian

IMO, the emphasis should be on the auto box, and the CVT has the best one out there. The stalks being on the left sort of show the CVT in lesser light, which is a pity.

The Opel range is best avoided, and the Skoda is more expensive to buy and more importantly, to maintain as well.

Given the situation, I suggest your mom take a leisurely test drive of all the cars shortlisted and arrive at a decision. Chances are, she'll choose the CVT anyways. If she leans toward an Opel, then you can be close at hand to dissuade her .

There really is no competition to the CVT out there in this class, never mind the lack of a VTEC.
Old 31st January 2006, 15:44   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Navin,

Inverted stalks = European.

How about a:

1. Ford Fusion : High car so she can walk in with ease. Small enough for that breach candy traffic. Nice interiors. Left Hand stalks.

2. Ford Ikon : Yes, its an old design but still packs a decent punch.

GTO
Old 31st January 2006, 15:49   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Ford Ikon : Yes, its an old design but still packs a decent punch.

GTO
Ah! We disagree for once!! No Ford Ikon for auntie ji (sorry, ma'am, I don't know how else to address you... Masiji perhaps?)!! The brakes are not good and she deserves better than an Ikon!!!

Why Ford, GTO? Spares costs, bad resale value etc

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 31st January 2006 at 15:53.
Old 31st January 2006, 16:01   #22
BHPian

maybe GTO was suggesting a few driver-friendly cars seeing her fondness for driving cars on her own ...

but your points are well-taken Boom, and Ford no-way !!!
Old 31st January 2006, 16:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
1. Ford Fusion : High car so she can walk in with ease. Small enough for that breach candy traffic. Nice interiors. Left Hand stalks.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I dont.

************MESSAGE TOO SHORT *****************
Old 31st January 2006, 16:20   #24
Team-BHP Support

She has driven the Vtec (Arya Honda did not have a CVT for a drive) and the Swift Zxi and cursed those stalks. She was really furious. She made me call up our garage (Team Motor Works) and wanted me to try to talk them into reversing the stalks.

She might like the Fusion beacuase she prefer's hatchbacks. Her present car is a Matiz and she is happy to park in just about anywhere. Remember guys from 1999 to today her drive is less than 20K (90% of that chauffered). She just want a car she can drive if she needs to (as she got a strong independant streak).

I took her for a ride in the RS. Let her take over on Marine drive and only got it back becuase the rear visibility was too limited for her liking. Mom's got a lead foot (one reason I got her a chauffer - I can order him to drive slow - cant order mom) and suprisingly good control or luck (not an accident since 1965).
Old 31st January 2006, 16:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
and suprisingly good control or luck (not an accident since 1965).
Hey Navin, touch wood! Cheers!
Old 1st February 2006, 03:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

How about the Optra? I thought that came with an auto. option as well. and am guessing that it'd have the indicator stalk on the left since its GM.
Old 1st February 2006, 04:08   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Your requirements quite amused me with the tweeter pod and left indicator being given top importance Well going by that there is only the Fabia that fits the bill but sincee its not out yettt ...lett me let u in on a secret with these moms....they freakin LOVE the CVT!! We got the CVT for my mom and she is just not ready to let it go... my dad and me have been trying to get rid of it for a while and now its come to a point that my mom says if u really need to get rid of a car remove sahils accord not my CVT! And she drive like barely once a damn month! Well thats how much she loves it....and rightfully so...the car is very comfortable to drive and avg is gr8 and its a honda! ya but no left indicators and tweeter pods for u there Go for it its the best option by far.

Last edited by Sahil : 1st February 2006 at 04:10.
Old 1st February 2006, 08:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO

That would be my reccomendation. The Ikon 1.3 if it is the Ikon.

P.S. GTO, inverted stalks = Americans too.
Old 1st February 2006, 09:29   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
Your requirements quite amused me with the tweeter pod and left indicator being given top importance
If it were not for these 2 featues or if the Fabia was out this thread would have never been started. She would have got the CVT.

My niece and nephew drive CVTs. I have stolen my nephew's CVT a couple of times and while I was a bit bugged at the reduced power my wife loved it. Then mom took over and hit the brakes looking for the clutch thank god there was no one tailgating us. Besides this the old CVT were very bouncy in the rear. I hear the ZX is less so.

Wonder when the Optra SVR (notchback) will be released. It seems like someting mom would like. Fast, Left hand stalks etc..

Cant say how much I appreciate all these suggestions and opinions. Thanks guys.

Last edited by navin : 1st February 2006 at 09:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks