Team-BHP - Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/104318-hyundai-verna-vs-corolla-altis-3.html)

@drmohitg,

I am a person ho went in search of a car with good back seat comfort for my wife with bad back. I did not choose any of the cars listed here.But then I did not have the diesel restriction,,so went for ANHC.

In your case,I assume that your father has no physiological conditions.

Out of the cars listed by you,I strongly suggest you go for the Colrolla Altis.

The ANHV- rear seat is really low for comfort. A bad seat can lead to back problems for a Senior man.

Vento- the rear seat back rest angle is not alright.The seats are rather low.

The Jetta-ride could be a problem.Don't know about the new one being launched.

The Altis suspension is reasonable.The diesel engine is frankly better than 88 BHP figure suggests. Of course it is priced more.

Why don't you consider the Optra Magnum?All the owners on T-BHP are gushing with happiness.Please go though the threads.Excellent ride,very good engine,lot of freebies etc.The gear box may be a bit vague(I have not driven,but have been reading in reviews) but it is going to be chauffeur driven most of the time.It still appears to be very much contemporary and very good value for money,even though an old design.A close friend of mine with a shoulder condition drove the Optra magnum from Cochin to Bangalore and found the car an absolute delight!!

I strongly suggest that you take a look at the Optra Magnum.

The new Jetta could be good,but it is one segment higher too-like the Altis. If it turns out to be not to your liking then you will waste time-like I did on ANHV. I waited for 1.5 months for it to be launched,only to discover that the rear seats are not comfortable for my wife!!

From your list-the Altis diesel,and do check out Optra Magnum-which appears to be very good value for money.

Best of luck,charthom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay4587 (Post 2426219)
I simply dont get it,does that make Figo a superior car:Frustrati

I agree with that. For my dads list of priorities, the most important is rear seat comfort and long term (5+ years) reliability. Altis scores in those areas. But have you also heard of this so called upgraded model to be launched? I am not interested in cosmetic upgrades but if they happen to change the heart of the car itself then it will leave a very bad taste in my mouth to own a weaker car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 2426227)
But it is worth considering. AFAIK Chevy doesn't come up with any plan for Optra replacement in near future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charthom (Post 2426298)
Why don't you consider the Optra Magnum?

I did indeed check out the Optra when I went to see the cruze. Somehow the car just didnt do anything for me. Moreover the SA helping us around himself criticized the Optra and labelled it as a failure. He might have done it to promote Cruze but then it just put us all off!

Quote:

The ANHV- rear seat is really low for comfort. A bad seat can lead to back problems for a Senior man.
Its ruled out now. Yesterday I went again and checked out both the cars. ANHV back seat actually made me nauseated within 10 minutes. The rear glass is just non existent and you cant view anything in the front of the car also while sitting on the back seat.

Quote:

The new Jetta could be good,but it is one segment higher too-like the Altis. If it turns out to be not to your liking then you will waste time-like I did on ANHV. I waited for 1.5 months for it to be launched,only to discover that the rear seats are not comfortable for my wife!!
The Jetta is not for him anyways. It will be driven by me and my sister in place of the current Lancer that we drive.

So Guys I have more or less ruled out the ANHV because of the inferior back seat. I flirted with Manza a little bit too in this last week and it did surprise me. Its like those magicians go on pulling out clothes from a small bag, similarly the back seat is huge on space. But the quality of the car is not upto the mark and we have got a little too used to the Honda and Toyota built. So its ruled out too.

Guys if anyone of you has little more information about this rumored higher spec engine coming to the Altis then I will wait as we dont need the car on an emergency basis. If like for ex you feel that may be once the Etios diesel comes around diwali with the same engine and then Toyota might change the Altis, then I can wait. So please guide me on that.

Also yesterday night a thought crossed my mind. I will pay 15.4 L for the Altis. What if I convince my dad to buy a used Accord MT? It will be around 10-11L? What kind of mileage can I expect in the city traffic? 7? or even lesser? I save up 3-4L upfront on buying an accord. so if my monthly running is 1500 kms it should take atleast 4-5 years to narrow down that gap only right? And what will be the servicing cost like be for the Accord?What do you guys suggest? Does this make any sense?

Hi Dr,
Have you checked out Cruze? Will need to stretch the budget a bit, but the review here in the forum and elsewhere shows it's worth every paisa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 (Post 2426418)
Hi Dr,
Have you checked out Cruze? Will need to stretch the budget a bit, but the review here in the forum and elsewhere shows it's worth every paisa.

Yea I checked it out already. Infact it was the first car that I saw. But we didn't like it. Its low on interior space and I felt claustrophobic in it. Since the car is for my dad, the rear seat is important. So its ruled out.

From one Corolla owner to another (prospective) one, go for the Corolla for complete peace of mind for the next 7-10 years. It is definitely over-priced; maybe they should get a shocker like Honda. I test-drove their Diesel and was surprised by the amount of torque available. The engine surely didn't feel under-powered given its specs. Overtaking also was a breeze (please note that we were only 3 persons in the car). Do try out the Uttaranchal registration "trick" I have discussed elsewhere and save a cool lac or so. Also do the Insurance yourself at nearly half the rates of the Toyota one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charthom (Post 2426298)
Why don't you consider the Optra Magnum?All the owners on T-BHP are gushing with happiness.Please go though the threads.Excellent ride,very good engine,lot of freebies etc.The gear box may be a bit vague(I have not driven,but have been reading in reviews) but it is going to be chauffeur driven most of the time.It still appears to be very much contemporary and very good value for money,even though an old design.A close friend of mine with a shoulder condition drove the Optra magnum from Cochin to Bangalore and found the car an absolute delight!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2426363)
I did indeed check out the Optra when I went to see the cruze. Somehow the car just didnt do anything for me. Moreover the SA helping us around himself criticized the Optra and labelled it as a failure. He might have done it to promote Cruze but then it just put us all off!

+1 To Carthom's post.

Don't let an unprofessional salesman's attitude take you away from this wonderful car. Your father would love the ride and seat ergonomics.

Also, the gear box issue, if any, is only there in the petrol version. It is a wonderful car to be driven around in. Also a hoot to drive. Only issue I can see is the design of interiors being a bit dated, though high quality and that some people take some time to get used to a bit of turbolag and the surge of power this car has. And yes, the 'speculation' that it may be shelved.

Check out? Did you go for a TD? In case not, do test drive it. The ride is very plush.

You can get more info and read about some converts on this thread, though the reasons for them to go for it may be a bit different:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-upto-12l.html

I don't think a new Altis Diesel will be here any time soon. Toyota has just upgraded the diesel variants (albeit cosmetically) and its optimistic to expect an engine upgrade so soon. A 2L diesel would have been the way to go to compete with the Cruze/Optra Magnum but how will Toyota price that car? If the 1.4 D4D is 15L, the 2L D4D will be easily in the 17-20L bracket.

The Optra Magnum is definitely a VFM proposition if you are OK with the fact that the car might soon be discontinued. The resale value after 5 years will be very low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 2426448)
From one Corolla owner to another (prospective) one, go for the Corolla for complete peace of mind for the next 7-10 years. -----------------
Do try out the Uttaranchal registration "trick" I have discussed elsewhere and save a cool lac or so. Also do the Insurance yourself at nearly half the rates of the Toyota one.

On peace of mind, yes, the Toyota does score highly.

What is the "trick" in question mate? Please share or point us to the thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuel_addict (Post 2426477)
The Optra Magnum is definitely a VFM proposition if you are OK with the fact that the car might soon be discontinued. The resale value after 5 years will be very low.

Not sure if the poor resale bit is true for the Diesel variant. There are extremely few available with less than 3 years and moderate use in the used market and they aren't too cheap either. Though the Optra has been hounded for poor resale, am not sure how true it is for the Diesel.

Check this post and a few after it:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ml#post2409050

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poitive (Post 2426512)
What is the "trick" in question mate? Please share or point us to the thread.

I have quoted it here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post2389316

Quote:

Do try out the Uttaranchal registration "trick" I have discussed elsewhere and save a cool lac or so. Also do the Insurance yourself at nearly half the rates of the Toyota one.

I had followed your fortuner buying experience. I have sent you a pm regarding some doubts I had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poitive (Post 2426462)
+1 To Carthom's post.

Don't let an unprofessional salesman's attitude take you away from this wonderful car. Your father would love the ride and seat ergonomics.

And yes, the 'speculation' that it may be shelved.

Check out? Did you go for a TD? In case not, do test drive it. The ride is very plush.

I didn't TD it. I will go and get one now. I am convinced I will be surprised as everyone on TBHP has only praises for the car. Surprised that the car didn't perform better in the market. Lets see how it goes. The most important criterion for us is the rear seat.

Quote:

I called the guy and got the price list. Man its a cool 1L off. I am getting the highline for the price of the middle variant as compared to Delhi. But the Guy just called and dropped a bomb! It seems they received an order from the govt that they cant do the trick anymore as other states are losing revenue.:deadhorse

So we are back on square one.

Quote:

Guys if anyone of you has little more information about this rumored higher spec engine coming to the Altis then I will wait as we dont need the car on an emergency basis. If like for ex you feel that may be once the Etios diesel comes around diwali with the same engine and then Toyota might change the Altis, then I can wait. So please guide me on that.

Upgraded engine for Altis looks very unlikely-and Toyota is not in a hurry with anything.Regarding Etios diesel-yes it is worth waiting.Etios is superior in driving dynamics-and mostly city ride with a chauffeur,your dad will find the car thoroughly comfortable.

Quote:

Also yesterday night a thought crossed my mind. I will pay 15.4 L for the Altis. What if I convince my dad to buy a used Accord MT? It will be around 10-11L? What kind of mileage can I expect in the city traffic? 7? or even lesser? I save up 3-4L upfront on buying an accord. so if my monthly running is 1500 kms it should take atleast 4-5 years to narrow down that gap only right? And what will be the servicing cost like be for the Accord?What do you guys suggest? Does this make any sense?
IMHO, a poor move.Even Honda guys shrugged and said,"Well,about 5 or 6 kpl Sir.And very impractical in the city due to the size."

If you can't wait for the Etios Diesel,then an Optra Magnum is still the better buy.Please go though the ownership threads.It is a more practical buy and value for money than the Cruze-if you are not looking for ultra style or very high snob value.

Or else the Altis diesel-the present engine is alright for your purpose.It is quite easy to manoeuvre in the City and feels adequate. But back seat ride and better suited for your present requirement-I would still suggest to take another look at the Optra Magnum. Of course I am not pushing you-giving my frank opinion.:) Best of luck!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2427001)
I called the guy and got the price list. Man its a cool 1L off. I am getting the highline for the price of the middle variant as compared to Delhi. But the Guy just called and dropped a bomb! It seems they received an order from the govt that they cant do the trick anymore as other states are losing revenue.:deadhorse

So we are back on square one.

I just talked to their dealer there and he has confirmed that a workaround to this workaround (lolz) is already under process and RTO will be done (for some 2-3K extra)

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay4587 (Post 2426219)
I simply dont get it,does that make Figo a superior car:Frustrati
0-100 timings arent everything,and FYI Figo is slower.

That was not what I meant.
Off course when you are paying 15L you expect the car to better than a 5L car in all aspects. Still Figo is better in terms of Handling and performance.
0-100 timings may be similar but trust me, Figo is way better in terms of drivability. With the absence of turbo lag, the Figo can smoke a D4D atleast in the city for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2426192)
Haha. Well I am guessing its delayed till the jetta comes in. Though I have really started thinking of buying one jazz out of the 2 cars we intend to buy after the massive price cut today.

:uncontrol Nice one.

Quote:

Also yesterday night a thought crossed my mind. I will pay 15.4 L for the Altis. What if I convince my dad to buy a used Accord MT?

As a car it makes perfect sense. Financially you need to think this through.
for Accord FE= 7 Rs/ km = 10
for D4D FE = 13 RS/ km = 3.5

However Accord is a better car than Altis in almost all possible ways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charthom (Post 2427296)
Upgraded engine for Altis looks very unlikely-and Toyota is not in a hurry with anything.Regarding Etios diesel-yes it is worth waiting.Etios is superior in driving dynamics-and mostly city ride with a chauffeur,your dad will find the car thoroughly comfortable.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant to say that some people were suggesting that once the Diesel etios is launched with the same engine then the Toyota would be kind of forced to change the engine in the Altis. So if you guys will suggest that this might happen then I might wait a little longer. The Etios is not under consideration.
On the other hand I dont really feel that toyota will introduce a bigger engine. The numbers in the C+ segment are evenly divided with each car having its own Mantra. I doubt even a higher spec engine in the Altis will compete with the Diesel Rocket or the German Jetta.
Cosmetic changes do not bother me. But if they end up changing the engine all together then my car will take a hit on the re-sale front.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkaile (Post 2427398)
I just talked to their dealer there and he has confirmed that a workaround to this workaround (lolz) is already under process and RTO will be done (for some 2-3K extra)

Hmmm Even he called me in the evening and told me a way around it. But my dad doesn't feel good about the whole thing and he said we will buy it from Delhi only. But thanks a lot anyways for the advice. Its indeed very tempting.