Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2006, 13:43   #1
BHPian

Should I go for this 2000 Opel Astra Club ?

A family friend of mine has upgraded to CRV and is selling his Opel Astra Club (Petrol) 2000 Model done about 44,000 Kms.
The car has been well looked after and regularly serviced. It has been driven mainly on the highway as he used his other car for intra-city commute.
The car is Silver in color and has no dents on the body.
As you know, this car comes with Alloys, Leather Seats, Sun roof etc.

I plan to fit a CNG kit in it as I reside in Delhi and there are adequate filling stations.
My concern is spare parts- their availability and cost.

And how much should I pay for this car in Delhi ?

I request you all to share your views and help me out.

Thanks.
Old 14th February 2006, 15:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

max 1.5 lakhs in Delhi. availability of spares should not be a problem for at least the next 5 years, but cost of spares and servicing si a different matter altogether. It would be on the higher side.

apart frm that, the astra is a good car
Old 14th February 2006, 16:20   #3
Team-BHP Support

Checkout these links to give you all the info you need:

Long term review

Linky 2

Linky 3
Old 14th February 2006, 18:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey metallica,

44,000km in 6 years seems like very less, which also means if you buy the car pretty soon you might have to replace shock absorbers & timing belt, perhaps tyres too if they haven't changed already.
so try to get car for below 1.25 or max 1.5 but only if old owner changes tyres before selling to you.

Be sure to get car checked at authorised service center or at known mechanic.
As for CNG, no experience with it so can not comment
Old 14th February 2006, 18:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallica
I plan to fit a CNG kit in it as I reside in Delhi and there are adequate filling stations.
Any particular reason why you would like to fit a CNG kit? You would have one SLUGGISH Optra on your hands.....
Old 14th February 2006, 19:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

I got my astra with 80k km on it (it was family car earlier & I did not had liecence) however as far as I can remember there was no problem of spares. However for last 3 to 4 years my Astra is given to mechanic & not at authorised station.
Old 15th February 2006, 00:36   #7
BHPian

Thanks to himanshugoswami , Rtech, adya33 and saajan_20 for your comments and feedback.
The car is with me now for about a week so that I can spin it around and decide if I want to got for it or not.( advantages of buying from a family friend ... you see )
I took it out for small drive. The car seems to be well maintained as I has mentioned earlier. The tyres are new as they have recently been changed.
The car seems to be good overall but rather than the positives, I want to share the problems with you all.
The car jerks when I am in the first or second gear. If I rev harder there are no jerks but if I go soft on the accelerator, it jerks a couple of times before settling down to normalcy.
Another thing that I felt was that the brakes did not seems responsive. Infact they felt worse than a Maruti 800. Is this the way it is or maybe replacing the brake pads would solve this problem ?
Apart from this everything seems to work fine. The car is totally calm at idle , infact it difficult to make out whether the engine is ignited are not.
I asked a local car dealer and he gave me a price band of 1.30 - 1.35 (You guys were bang-on regarding the price.)

Do let me know if there is something specific that I need to check. I also plan to take the car to the nearest GM service centre and get a check-up done.

Thanks once again for all the help and do keep writing in for more valuable comments and suggestions.
I need to take a decision by this coming Sunday

PS : Just wanted to add that its and MPFI engine. What kind of average can I expect from it as I have heard conflicting views ranging from 6 to 10 Km/Per Litre

Last edited by metallica : 15th February 2006 at 00:39.
Old 15th February 2006, 01:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Definetly brake pads are worn out. Change them immediatly.
As for GM visit, they might have general vechical checkup, do it. Also check for the parts I have mentioned in earlier post. I would also advise to check air, oil, fuel filter.

As for MPFI engine you will mostly getting single digit FE, about 7 to 8 & on highway you can expect around 12.
Old 15th February 2006, 23:15   #9
BHPian

Can someone let me know of some good mechanic for Astra in and around Delhi ?
I would be going to the GM authorised workshop but I would also want to take a second opinion.
Do let me know.
Thanks.
Old 15th February 2006, 23:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
Definetly brake pads are worn out. Change them immediatly.
As for GM visit, they might have general vechical checkup, do it. Also check for the parts I have mentioned in earlier post. I would also advise to check air, oil, fuel filter.

As for MPFI engine you will mostly getting single digit FE, about 7 to 8 & on highway you can expect around 12.
You are right. I need to take care of the brake pads and the shock absorbers for sure. The ride is a little bumpy fo sure. Plus the cluck makes a sound each time I press it and then release it. The car also jerks a bit in the 1st and 2nd gear. I guess the clutch plate too will need replacement.

Thanks for the input...Will keep needing it, now that I have ALMOST made up my mind to buy it.
Old 16th February 2006, 14:22   #11
BHPian

You can go for this car if you have good contacts with local mechanics or with automobile shops. otherwise finding parts are very deficult and expensive. As far as car is solid and steady build car, looks like D segment car (Spares are also like D seg)
Old 28th January 2009, 18:34   #12
BHPian

Hi,

Those of you who plan to buy a second/third hand Astra, please check the following;

1. Smoothness of the gearbox- I purchased a second hand one in Mumbai in 2004 and am frequently facing a problem of the gear stick getting stuck in the 5th gear. It even happens now but offlate I got the shifter changed. GM Dealers in Delhi are just horrible and are there to mint money. National Garage at Pedder Road was damn professional.

2. Brake master cylinder is prone to leakage.
3. Turn the steering to the extreme right or left. If you hear a humming sound, its the power steering unit which has worn out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks