Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2006, 01:05   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
The esteem is ancient eh? Thats why its selling more than the ikon 1.3 and the accent gle and ofcourse the corsa included which fall in the same price band

i some how always get a feeling with aseem as if he feels that he is the ruler here and everyone else are fools . nothin personal buddy
Sorry to say that but Esteem is really ancient. It might be selling more then cars doesnot make it any good. Look at 800. Is it better then the santro, no, but it sells more and its ancient.

Ancient = Cheap = More selling.

Aseem is talking right and with him..
Old 10th March 2006, 01:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The esteem is ancient eh? Thats why its selling more than the ikon 1.3 and the accent gle and ofcourse the corsa included which fall in the same price band

i some how always get a feeling with aseem as if he feels that he is the ruler here and everyone else are fools . nothin personal buddy
Your arguments justify logic, you keep on taking personal digs at me, calling me a critic or a ruler and than put a smiley and write no offense. Just caz I dont agree with you doesnt mean that I am a ruler. I myself have an Esteem, yet I call the car ancient goes to show I am unbiased in my views.
To me personally its quite easy to vouch for Esteem, as more demand for Esteem, means a higher resale value for me. But I choose not to do so. Ikon and Corsa too are slowly going to be phased out for newer cars.
Old 10th March 2006, 10:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Sorry to say that but Esteem is really ancient. It might be selling more then cars does not make it any good.
Dated it might be, but not bad.
Try it against any of the so-called newer cars in its class in any parameter (FE, performance, reliability, etc.) and it will come out the clear winner. If a dated car excels over newer cars, then what is the point in buying the latter ? If newer cars can provide something extra to the consumer, which is not available in the dated car, then it is worthwhile. Else, you can spend more to buy something, which has only newness to its credit.
And on top of all this, the sales figures prove that it sells well too. The price is more-or-less the same for Esteem, Corsa, Flair, Indigo etc. And the consumer today is much more intelligent today. Still, he prefers the Esteem over all the so-called new cars.
Even guys on tbhp who are exposed to such a lot of car-info prefer it even when it is 10 years dated.

Quote:
Ancient = Cheap = More selling.
But not necessarily bad quality.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 10th March 2006 at 10:30.
Old 10th March 2006, 10:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

Just to bring this thread back on track, I have listed below xcentric's requirements and his views, so that we can focus more on what he needs.

Main contenders :
1st choice : Fiesta
Pros : Price good at 6.36 OTR
Cons : Image issues with Ford and dealers. Did not look hot. FE.

2nd Choice : Accent GLE
Pros : Good car, price within budget, Looks, FE
Cons : Dated

Others in the reckoning :
Baleno
Pros : Price inside budget. Solid A.S.S., good FE, performance
Cons : Dated, not a good-looking rear.

Scorpio 2.6 CRDe
Pros :
Cons : Above budget.

Clear No :
NHC - due to looks

Chevys - fuel guzzlers
Old 10th March 2006, 10:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
The following link gives details of new cars bought by tbhp-ians a few months ago and the clear winner was the Baleno.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ecently-4.html
IMHO, that proves nothing mate! As Aseem pointed out, it depends on whether someone wants a dated car thats proven in some respects or one that's just been launched. Lets just say that we guys who go for the new stuff are willing to take a risk at times, based on limited feedback & our gut feeling......
Old 10th March 2006, 11:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

It proves the following statement from Aseem wrong :
"And trust me, everyone is not buying a Baleno, look around you, and see how many you see."
That's all it was intended to prove.
Old 10th March 2006, 11:36   #67
BANNED

Xentric, dude just buy your car already so everyone can stop getting so worked up about it!

Why aren't you looking at the Lancer? It falls into your budget too (approx 6.7 lakhs after discount OTR from Metro Motors, Mumbai).

Looks good, decent performance, decent FE, great handling, pretty easy on the maintenance front (3 year free service holiday from HM), and a good amount of space compared to the competition.

I've had one for 5 years and it's been great to own. I'm actually pretty sad because I'm selling it today.

Hope I don't confuse you even more!
Old 10th March 2006, 11:49   #68

Boom Shiva, I was completely unaware that it ws so cheap!!!

And YES, you have confused me further. Aaarrrgggghh!

But thanks anyways. Knowledge is power!

Cheers,
Xentric
Old 10th March 2006, 11:57   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If a dated car excels over newer cars, then what is the point in buying the latter ?
Which car does so. When Honda can phase out OHC to bring in NHC though Honda sold better then Esteem then why cant maruti take measures.

Quote:
Chevys - fuel guzzlers
Please make sensible statements. The Tavera is said to give a FE of 13 kmpl and you can ask any Tavera owner on this forum. The Optra gives reasonable FE compared to its weight. In fact with the weight of the Optra is gives way better FE then it should have so

Xentric - Do you want a dated car? Then look at the Baleno/Lancer/Accent/Esteem otherwise get yourself a Fiesta 1.4 it will never let you down and i can assure you that..

Supremebaleno - i Understand you love for your car but that doesnot change the facts so please guys chill and dont get personal.
Old 10th March 2006, 12:22   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please make sensible statements.
FYI, that was not my statement. I had just listed down what Xcentric's views were - go back a few posts and you will find it. And, BTW he is not completely wrong on that.
Old 10th March 2006, 18:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentric
I spotted a Fiesta in the office parking lot last afternoon and I must say it dint look all that hot from a distance. Looked quite narrow. Ford should have made the wheelbase broader. This just makes the car look weak.

That is one thing I have been feeling about the Fiesta and I totally agree with Xentric. The car would have looked a lot meaner and tougher if it had a low stance with a wide wheel base. The Baleno of course looks perhaps a little too sleek to look tough. The lancer though around for donkey's years, does have an attitude.
I guess it is the tall boy design that is the in thing now that is doing all the damage. Look at what they did to the Honda City!
I wish someone would bring out something like a Shelby GT350, long bonnet, sloping back, wide body. I wish.
Old 10th March 2006, 18:15   #72

Dude, you took the words right outta my mouth. I fail to understand where most modern design directions are headed. Can't stomach most of them!
Old 10th March 2006, 18:55   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
It proves the following statement from Aseem wrong :
"And trust me, everyone is not buying a Baleno, look around you, and see how many you see."
That's all it was intended to prove.
Alright dude, everyone who thinks Baleno doesnt sell like a hot cake, is discounted heavily to make it lucrative, and says its dated are WRONG! You have been proved correct, now please take a chill pill and let everyone be heard!
Old 10th March 2006, 19:11   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentric
Dude, you took the words right outta my mouth. I fail to understand where most modern design directions are headed. Can't stomach most of them!
i daresay most americans would like to agree with you - they had a lot of problem digesting the sleek shapes of the japanese cars against their standard big-muscle hulks
Old 10th March 2006, 19:58   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem
Alright dude, everyone who thinks Baleno doesnt sell like a hot cake, is discounted heavily to make it lucrative, and says its dated are WRONG! You have been proved correct, now please take a chill pill and let everyone be heard!
Guys, I sincerely apologize for my last and final off-topic post on this thread. I tried to bring the discussion back to the original topic many a time, but looks like our buddy aches for fights.

All this time, I was of the idea that I am arguing with a genuine critic, who wants to make sure that a buyer has all the info (even the bad news) required to make the correct decision. And that I just happened to rub him the wrong way, while defending the Baleno.

Well, how surprised I was when I ran a search on tbhp and found that he derives his happiness from badmouthing most cars (all Fiats, Baleno, Getz, Corsa etc) or by having a counter argument just for the heck of it. Check out few samples below, where he is in action. There are hundreds more posts of his knowledge-sharing. , but then these should be enough to give you an idea.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ion-style.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-makeover.html

Sample this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/105550-post10.html, where it is all praise for a car that today nobody should even consider :
"I once considered buying Corsa. The dealer told me it will give me an FE of 10-12. But I didnt like his face when he said the FE, he almost wanted me to not focus on FE as much as the car. I went ahead with Baleno instead of Corsa, and I am glad I did. Being a bigger car, it still gives me an FE of 11 with 100% AC. The spares are cheap, and I can find a Maruti mechanic even in a village."

The techinque is to blast a car and then say, "I myself own that car and since I am still pointing out its defects, it means I am neutral". On various threads, the claims are about owning a Baleno, Swift, Esteem and God only knows how many more. This is apart from the Baleno & Getz, that his brother(s) own.

Looks like Prince85 was bang on target when he said,
Quote:
Common SupremeBaleno, Aseem is a known critic who i feel just likes to go against everyone in the forum.
I rest my case.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 10th March 2006 at 20:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks