Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:17   #1
BHPian

Tata Manza Aura Abs or Mahindra Xylo E4

Team,

Would like to have your expert opinion here, im sure the two cars what I have shortlisted doesnt match each other in the segement but request your advice as I am confused a lot,Before deciding will explain about my needs and my family

Priority in the following orders
Budget,Good ***,Comfort,Safety, resale

My Budget is around 8 laks on road bangalore,
About my family
Me,My wife who is expecting with my mother in law and my daily usage is 10 km on weekdays and around 50 kms on weekends in bangalore.I prefer long drives and travel frequently.I am planning to keep this car for 7 years.

The below cars are shortlisted after TD. ( I have dropped Dzire due to long waiting period and Verito for the looks and not convinced with Ford Fiesta classic)

1. TATA Manza Aura Abs model

On road : 8.2 Lakhs ( after 30,000 Discount for 2012) model

+ ve and - ve

No discussion required on the same since we have had a lot of feedbacks on the forum. I have made an advance payment for 50k yesterday after considering the all these points. Previously I had Tata Indica and didnt like the TATA *** but now the dealers are saying TATA has improved a lot and service is good for Manza.

2. Mahindra Xylo -E4

+ ve

1) Like the comfort
2) Showroom guys was very courteous
3) loads of space ( again i should not compare Manza with Xylo)

- Ve

Gear shifting was not smooth in TD vehicle
Features are limited ( only PS, Surrond AC,4 PW,Rear Wipers) and i need to chip in some extra amount for music system

I am unable to finalize the deal because OTR was 9.3 with 30 K discount for 2012 model.

Today I got a call from one of dealer and he informed me they are ready to give me around 65k deal for 2011 model Xylo and he will get it registered as 2012 in RC book so now on road price is around 9 lakhs .

Guys kindy advise me which one to choose on these two, im more inclined towards xylo but im concerned about the mileage of xylo ( somewhere on forum i read it is around 9 Km in bangalore ) because for next 1.5 years my usage will be inside the city only and again i will not be getting the ABS if i go for xylo.

PS: Also would like to know does insurance amount varies accordingly to segement because Xylo insurance comes to around 31k where in for Manza it comes to 21 K .

Regards

Last edited by soarer : 23rd January 2012 at 13:23. Reason: correction and addition
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:25   #2
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Manza Aura Abs or Mahindra Xylo E4

soarer, since you have mentioned about your usage is more within the city, i would suggest Manza as it will much easier to drive around compared to Xylo and also mileage for xylo will be around 10 in city and Manza will be around 15.

Until you dont have frequent intercity drives its always better to have a sedan.
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

So 3 adults and one child will be the maximum folks traveling in the long runs, in this case the Manza suits better. Its smaller then the Xylo and more easier to manage within the city.

If for any reason more folks can join in frequently and you would like a bigger people mover, then choose the Xylo.

In terms of A.S.S both Tata/Mahindra are similar, although i have seen/read positive and negative experiences in both the cases.
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:38   #4
BHPian

Hi Soarer,

You have already mentioned. Though I won't compare Manza with Xylo. Please be sure about your need and decide whether you need a Sedon or MUV. If it is only going to be 3 travelers then Xylo makes no sense and you may regret later for buying such a heavy vehicle without any need as Manza also has comfortable space upto 4 or even 5 which will be more convenient for both city/long drives. Also you are getting ABS with Manza which is a good safety feature for long drives. You may also try for Airbag for the price difference of Xylo. But if in any case you expect more than 4 people to travel, like traveling to relatives place to pick them up or picking up your parents or in-laws often along with your current family or a joint family trip, then it makes sense to have a bigger car like Xylo. As you said if you keep this car for next 7 years then there wont be much difference in resale value.

Best Regards,
SANSI

Last edited by SANSI : 23rd January 2012 at 14:44.
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:13   #5
BHPian

Is it even possible to register a 2011 model as a 2012 model? I dont think so. He might be referring to regn on the RC book only. The car will always be a '2011 model' registered in 2012.

IF you ask me, the manza is much more comfortable than the xylo as the xylo is slightly wallowy on higher speeds. But of course the interior space of manza is no match for the xylo.

The xylo and manza belong to entirely different categories and are in no way similar except maybe the price point. I would suggest you to carefully ponder over your specific needs and go for it based on that.

Last edited by revintup : 23rd January 2012 at 15:15.
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

A word of advice: Do not be swayed by the discounts and features. You are trying to compare vehicles from two different segments and which offer distinct advantages and disadvantages which go beyond a few thousand rupees of discounts, accessories or features.

The Manza is a sedan, while the Xylo is an MUV. As such the ride, handling and other characteristics of these vehicles will greatly differ. While the Xylo may not keep your food inside your stomach on fast winding curves, the Manza cannot accomodate a small picnic table or a friend's family who decided to accompany you on your picnic.
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Soarer

Your choice ideally should be Tata Manza over Xylo for the simple reason that Xylo variant does not have the ABS which IMO is an important safety feature considering the fact that there will be addition to your family. Sorry for slightly deviating, have you thought about Nissan Sunny? Any particular reaons why you are not convinced with Fiesta Classic?

All the best.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:54   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You don't need a 3rd seat, then why carry it around? Unnecessary weight really .

I highly recommend the Manza diesel over the Xylo. Reasons:

- 4 of you will comfortably fit in the Manza. In fact, it's good for 5 onboard.

- The Manza has far superior ride quality, especially on the highway, compared to the boat-like wallowy Xylo.

- The Manza is a better performer, and will handle / brake better than the dynamically-unsorted Xylo.

- The Tata will also be significantly more fuel efficient.

Note that the above comments apply to most sedan versus MUV / SUV comparisons. In your case, it's obvious that the sedan is the right choice.
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I would certainly recommend the Manza. How on earth do you plan to drive that Xylo through bangalore's traffic? Also do check out the Nissan Sunny incase your budget allows it. It even puts the Manza to shame when it comes to interior space. Also may prove to be more niggle free than the Manza. You may also want to wait for the Ertiga or the Duster.

Out of the 2 cars you have listed, my vote is for the Manza without any hesitation.
Old 23rd January 2012, 17:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Priority in the following orders
Budget,Good ***,Comfort,Safety, resale
Etios meets your priorities to the tee but is not in consideration. You are not convinced with Ford Fiesta Classic - a proven car, certainly worth a look-in.

Among the two cars you've short-listed, your comfort requirement & mileage concern screams MANZA! A.S.S. may not be a major differentiator between Tata & Mahindra. Go for Xylo only if you need room for extra passengers, some menace in road presence, superior view of the world around you that will suddenly start looking minnowy from the MUV, and/or possible ease of resale - taxi segment would lap it up.

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 23rd January 2012 at 17:20.
Old 23rd January 2012, 18:52   #11
BHPian

Thanks everyone.I will fix on Manza

@ ghodlur , Nissan sunny is way above my budget (on road around 9.7 lakhs) and Ford fiesta since it is an old model and i am not sure as to how long ford will continue this model

@drmohitg , ertiga and duster not sure when they will launch the vehicle,since I have disposed my old vehicle I would require the new one asap

@ RadiantKarma , etios is out of my list due to its look ( personal opinion) and again sunny is at higher price range.

Others if anyone is looking for Xylo here is deal again

Dealer called me again to provide 60K discount + music system( which is worth 15K) for 2011 model and available colour is D white, which makes deal even more attractive correct

Last edited by soarer : 23rd January 2012 at 18:54.
Old 24th January 2012, 10:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

If the deal is for a 2011 model, it depends on when the vehicle was manufactured. Was it manufactured in June 2011, or in Dec 2011? If it's Dec 2011, the deal might be good. If it's June, the deal is just an attempt to get rid of the old stock with the dealer. Also remember if the vehicle was manufactured in 2011, it will count against the vehicle when it comes to resale. A vehicle manufactured in 2012 would generally get a higher price than a vehicle manufactured in 2011. The point being it's not necessarily a good point always.

Also I doubt if the Fiesta is an old platform.

Anyways, the important point is you probably don't need an MUV, whatever you buy, go for a sedan.

Last edited by honeybee : 24th January 2012 at 10:27.
Old 24th January 2012, 11:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

@Soarer

As other have suggested, you dont need to buy an MUV just coz you are getting a good deal. Stick to Manza but TD it before you are doubly sure. Is the vehicle for yourself since your location shows as Melbourne, surely you are not thinking of importing one eh??

FYI, Fiesta is here to stay for another 4-5 years atleast (Coz the new Fiesta prices is making people veer towards the classic). So if you plan to keep the vehicle that long then try Test Driving it also.
Old 24th January 2012, 12:19   #14
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep the Manza is what would work for you and you have presently it seems narrowed down correctly. If you are looking at higher levels of build quality and driving pleasure then Fiesta could indeed work for you but the better featured Manza does make the best VFM current option out here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks