Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2006, 10:32   #1
BHPian

Baleno Vs Accent CRDi (2003) models

hi guys!

i was well set on buying a baleno in a months time when yesterday i visited my mechanic. he told me that no doubt baleno is a wonderful car but all said and done it will not return a mileage of more than 8 kmpl. it really put me on the backfoot.

so yesterday the first thing i did was 2 take a test drive of an Accent CRDi. seemed okay with acceleration but not as comfortable as baleno. since its my wife who needs 2 use the car and that too she will b on the back seat (cause of driver) i wanted something comfortable.

she have a daily travel of approx 22 kms with our regular trips down the highway. i wud say that my total distance in a month should b in the range of 1000-1200 kms.

i have checked the prices of both cars 2003 model. the baleno is something like 3.5 lacs whereas the CRDi will b 4.0 lacs.

pls suggest which will b better for us considering FE, maintanence, servicability and VFM.
Old 27th March 2006, 10:48   #2
BHPian

Baleno gives atleast 10 with ac under hard driving with a few performance mods.

Both cars are very good in their own ways.
Accent CRdi changed the way people looked at diesels.
But the first thing that you have to decide is whether you really need a diesel???

Will you drive the car on the highway ???

Last edited by tsreekaranrao : 27th March 2006 at 10:50.
Old 27th March 2006, 10:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

An Accent is not recommended for backseat travel, especially when it involves some amount of time/distance spent in the car. Check out the backseat of the Baleno (I havent used the backseat on that car) and decide.

If its for your wife and she's going to be chauffered around, why not take a look at the Indigo which offers the best backseat. If you go for the SX versions she can also watch movies on the DVD player. Great comfort too.
Old 27th March 2006, 11:04   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
If its for your wife and she's going to be chauffered around, why not take a look at the Indigo which offers the best backseat. If you go for the SX versions she can also watch movies on the DVD player. Great comfort too.
my wife has a motion sickness isue so she cant watch DVD's while travelling or read newspaper. also we somehow did not like the indigo.

Quote:
But the first thing that you have to decide is whether you really need a diesel???

Will you drive the car on the highway ???
i dont really know if we need a diesel or not but we do travel highways. i wud say 50:50 city and highway driving.

BTW is the maintanence of CRDi way too expensive than baleno and how about the mechanics on the highways?
Old 27th March 2006, 11:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
my wife has a motion sickness isue so she cant watch DVD's while travelling or read newspaper. also we somehow did not like the indigo.
Same issue with me

If you dont like the Indigo, you should perhaps look at the two new cars in the market - the base versions of the Fiesta and the Aveo.

If you like taking risks, perhaps you should check out the Fiat Petra at the Tata Motors dealerships, too.
Old 27th March 2006, 11:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you are going for a second hand, then it will boil down to which of the cars has been maintained better. Both are good in their own way. If I had to choose, I would have chosen the Accent because I would have driven the car rather than being chauffeured around. The cost saving on diesel coupled with the performance (for a diesel) would have worked in the Accents favor.

However, there are issues with the backseat of Accents if you are 6 feet or above and prefer back seat travel. Steer's suggestion is good. In case you are looking at the Fiesta, do check out the TDCi. In case of the Fiat Petra, you will not get the Petra at a Tata Motors dealership I am afraid. And I do not think the Petra Diesel will be to your liking as you might find it kind of sluggish. The petrol is a better bet.
Old 27th March 2006, 11:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
If I had to choose, I would have chosen the Accent because I would have driven the car rather than being chauffeured around. The cost saving on diesel coupled with the performance (for a diesel) would have worked in the Accents favor.

However, there are issues with the backseat of Accents if you are 6 feet or above and prefer back seat travel.
i make sure that the driver is not present on the days i m off. my wife's not 6'+ so i guess backspace legroom wud b enough. though she requires comfy drive.

i simply follow the principle that the driver's seat is the most comfortable hence i m always there. i dont like 2 b chauffered around.
Old 27th March 2006, 11:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
i dont really know if we need a diesel or not but we do travel highways. i wud say 50:50 city and highway driving.

BTW is the maintanence of CRDi way too expensive than baleno and how about the mechanics on the highways?
Mechanics on highways are not adviceable for any car.

Pice of petrol rs. 50 (approx.)
Price of diesel rs. 40 (approx.)

Mileage of baleno 12 (highway and city)
Mileage of accent 15 (highway and city)

For 1200 kms pm

Cost pm for baleno Rs.5000
Cost pm for accent Rs.3200
Old 27th March 2006, 11:45   #9
BHPian

Why don't you take your wife along and make her sit in all the cars. She will be using the car, so she would be the best judge on which car's rear seat she finds most comfortable right?!

Godspeed.

Alok.
Old 27th March 2006, 11:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i make sure that the driver is not present on the days i m off. my wife's not 6'+ so i guess backspace legroom wud b enough. though she requires comfy drive. .... i simply follow the principle that the driver's seat is the most comfortable hence i m always there. i dont like 2 b chauffered around.
I would suggest going for the Accent. However, it will be your wife who will decide I guess, so do take her for the test drive. The Baleno is a wonderful car to drive no doubt, but I think you will be happier with the Accent. However, as I hinted before, please check up the cars thoroughly.
Old 27th March 2006, 12:07   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider4385
Why don't you take your wife along and make her sit in all the cars. She will be using the car, so she would be the best judge on which car's rear seat she finds most comfortable right?!

Godspeed.

Alok.
well she's quite happy with both. no considerable difference between both. its me who has 2 make the choice with ur help. i m sure with this thread i will have more inputs and little less confused than ny common buyer.
Old 27th March 2006, 12:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no considerable difference between both.
In that case, go for the CRDi - the difference can be seen in your monthly bills.

Contact kb100 for wicked ideas with Pete's box.
Old 27th March 2006, 12:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
In that case, go for the CRDi - the difference can be seen in your monthly bills.

Contact kb100 for wicked ideas with Pete's box.

just a wierd idea, i had earlier posted a thread regarding ECU remap. if i go for CRDi remap how much wud it cost and what will b the power gain. also how much difference will the free flow exhaust make?
Old 27th March 2006, 12:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey
I have had an Accent CRDi for the last three years...

Let me take this one at a time

1. MAintanance - I have spent NOTHING on it CRDI except for the oil and filter changes. I prefer to do it every 5k kms instead of the company recommended 10 k but this is a matter of individual preference.

2. Back seat - By far very comfortable so long you dont upsize your tyres - My wife and both childern occupy the rear seat and they have not complained one bit yet! (we go everywhere in the car!)

3. Fuel ... ENORMOUS savings over petrol... and Deisel is 35/ltr... not 40. and I get 18 on the Highway ... 21 if I drive sanely - (Me & Sane !!

4. PetesBox... better than a remap - Plug and Play - you have an option of upping the power to 18 +7 +7 BHP (there are two additional settings to the stock 18 BHP one).. More importantly your torque jumps up by almost another 45 odd Nm - that on top of the 19 odd kgs it already makes, gives you some very serious lugging power! (Like Drifer said - Get used to some 3rd gear wheel spins!!)You'll love toasting them efforlessly!! I got 18 on the highway despite keeping the pot on boil fulltime!

5. Drifter has Freeflows on his CRDI - so he will be able to give you first hand info - Remember that you CANNOT change the header - since you have the turbo. And your wife may not like the sound - esp on long drives.

I am yet to see a "bad" CRDi unless it has been abused by its owner!... please ensure you DEMAND to see complete service records.. Post July 2005 Hyundai dealerships have all been linked to a central data-base. So the entire history of every nut changed on any Hyundai vehicle can be had!

I absolutely LOVE Em!!
Old 27th March 2006, 13:19   #15
BHPian

hey guys i just read a thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...highlight=CRDi

what do u say about my situation right now. for 1000-1200 kms per month what do u think is better, baleno or CRDi. pls take into consideration that i will not go for new but used cars and the price difference should b 50000

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks