Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 23:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Maruti Swift Dzire Purchase Help! (Gurgaon or Ahmedabad)

Guys My elder brother is working in Ahmedabad, Gujarat for past three months and is now planning to buy Swift Dzire LDi (New model) as he has to travel across Gujarat for work.

Now issue is that his primary residence and place of work is in Gurgaon(NCR) but is shifted temporarily to Gujarat for period of 1-2 years. Please guide us from where should we purchase the car? Ahmedabad or Gurgaon? Car is 20K cheaper in Gurgaon but that is not main concern.

Our concern is that if after 2 years he is back in NCR then will driving a GJ registered car in NCR OK as I hardly spot any GJ registered car in Delhi/NCR (Though there are plenty of MH Registered cars roaming in NCR). Same is the concern for Ahmedabad - Will driving a HR Registered car in Gujrat a issue? What about re-sale, re-registration etc?

As this is a case of nearly 2 years I am asking for your help.

Along with that which color will suit Dzire the best? We already have red, white and black color cars in our garage, we also had a silver color car in past so looking for something fresh, How about pacific blue color?

Last edited by bluevolt : 19th May 2012 at 00:05.
Old 19th May 2012, 00:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift Dzire Purchase Help! (Gurgaon or Ahmedabad)

I have no idea how Ahmadabad/Gujarat cops deal with cars from other states, but Delhi Police being Delhi Police is hard to get your way around. I have been stopped by the cops on almost every occasion where I was travelling by cars registered from any other region other than NCR. If you have all the papers in place then there's nothing much to worry about. But still, being hauled up at every junction can get irksome at times.

As you have mentioned above the car is cheaper here by 20k. And if you plan to sell it later in NCR only, the HR registration plate will definitely fetch you more cash compared to the Ahmadabad registration. Also, do keep in mind that your brother has to inevitably come back to Gurgaon after he is done with his work.

And yeah, Pacific Blue is something that I like the new Dzire in.
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 00:59   #3
BHPian

if the car is permanently going to be in NCR, better buy it from there and take it GJ. But please check with someone from GJ about cop strictness on out of state registered vehicles.
I dont see any problem driving out of state vehicle in Delhi or whole of North for that matter. My brother has been using Punjab registered cars in Delhi for last 10 years. Also i have lot of colleagues and friends who drive their AP,TN,MH,UP,HR,UA registered cars and bikes in NCR without a sweat.
DexterMorgan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 07:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Same is the concern for Ahmedabad - Will driving a HR Registered car in Gujrat a issue?
Buy a car in NCR and drive it in Guj. Get the basic stuff done (yellow strips on headlight, excuses/story of traveling temporarily through Guj) and you'll be safe.

Checking for non-GJ cars in Gujarat is a rarity, most probably he might get stopped in Ahmedabad once in a while by the cops who would be looking to make a quick buck. Your brother would know how to wiggle out in such a situation, I guess.

Till date, for all my life, I have never seen any outside state cars being ever impounded or heavily penalized in any of the cities there. I doubt if the situation would change in the coming years.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 09:24   #5
Team-BHP Support

It would be best to buy it in Delhi and drive it to A'bad.

Changing reg. no. when you switch states is not something I'm very fond of.

I'll tell you this from personal experience; we have a MH-reg. Zen in Gurgaon and it has never been a problem. I'm sure same would be in Delhi considering how common moving across states has become.

Have your brother fix a yellow strip on the headlight. A letter from the company saying your brother is there on a temporary assignment will do wonders.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 09:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

as of 2004-2007 no one cared about out of state vehicles.

fwiw, i rode a UP80 motorcycle across every corner of the state. only the pandus of maharashtra once bothered me, nothing in gujarat.

buy here in GGN, but make sure he has the yellow sticker with him in advance. THAT is a pain.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 10:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Our concern is that if after 2 years he is back in NCR then will driving a GJ registered car in NCR OK as I hardly spot any GJ registered car in Delhi/NCR (Though there are plenty of MH Registered cars roaming in NCR). Same is the concern for Ahmedabad - Will driving a HR Registered car in Gujrat a issue? What about re-sale, re-registration etc?
Have been using my Chhattisgarh (CG) registered Swift for alomost 4 months is Central/ South Delhi and ocasionally to Cyber City Gurgaon. Not even a single incident where cops have stopped me or verified my papers. However I don't know what is the situation in Gujarat for outside registered vehicles. I have spotted few GJ and lot of TN registered cars in Delhi though.
beast_within is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 11:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Assuming your brother intends to keep the car for more than two years, get the vehicle from the NCR. You should be able to drive the car in Gujarat for a while and especially if he is going across the state for work, few cops will see the car day after day for a long time and mark it.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 15:06   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Guys My elder brother is working in Ahmedabad, Gujarat for past three months and is now planning to buy Swift Dzire LDi (New model) as he has to travel across Gujarat for work.

Now issue is that his primary residence and place of work is in Gurgaon(NCR) but is shifted temporarily to Gujarat for period of 1-2 years. Please guide us from where should we purchase the car? Ahmedabad or Gurgaon? Car is 20K cheaper in Gurgaon but that is not main concern.

As this is a case of nearly 2 years I am asking for your help.

Along with that which color will suit Dzire the best? We already have red, white and black color cars in our garage, we also had a silver color car in past so looking for something fresh, How about pacific blue color?
Hi Bluevolt,

I suggest you go with the gurgaon registration. You can even buy the car from Ahmedabad and get a HR 26 registration done.

We had the same issue. My dad was posted in Ahmedabad and our permanent address was in gurgaon. We did the same thing. Picked the car from Ahmedabad wit ha Gurgaon Registration.

And there is no problem with driving a HR number car in Gujarat.
prashant316 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Pick up a car from Gujrat , use it there and then once he is back get a HR number. You ll just surrender your old number and a random series number will be allotted to you. Also , even if you use a GJ number in NCR, it should not be a problem. The capital city has cars coming in from all the states so not to worry.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 06:07   #11
BHPian

Since it is cheaper to by in NCR, it make sense to buy car from NCR. Moreover, GJ cops are much better than their counterparts from other states as long as car sports the yellow band on right head light corner, so there will be no issue in driving out of state cars in GJ.

OT here but, last year there was a drive by AMD Cops against CH registered cars but that was specific to high end luxurious cars registered in CH to evade higher registration charges, so nothing to worry about that either.
Nitrous Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 14:31   #12
BHPian

Even in Gujarat, not all city police will have issues with the NCR registration. My car for example, is registered in Mumbai. I visit Gujarat once every 2 months. Never ever have I been stopped by the police in Surat, but once when I had gone to Ahmedabad, the cops stopped me at the first major crossroad and I had a challan worth 200/-.

But said that, Gujarat cops are far-far better than cops in other states. You just need to follow the rules and they will not bother you. (In my case, the car didn't have yellow tape on the right headlight and the fact that Maharashtra police harasses Gujarat drivers, so they kinda take revenge)
SankalpDesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 14:51   #13
BHPian

I would suggest you to buy the car in Gujarat and when you take it back to NCR, pay the road tax there.
Having a simplistic view about any police is not correct when making such big decisions. I have a GJ car and still have been caught for PUC's & Insurance inspite of having seatbelts/sunfilms & rest of all other things in place .
Moreover, from my understanding ( I may be incorrect) driving an outstation car without changing Registration or paying road tax after the government stipulated period may result in Insurance company denying the claim in case of accident and if this is true, it is a serious downturn risk to notice early.
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2012, 15:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

@bluevolt

Sorry for being negative, but why is your brother buying a new car? If he is going to be in Gujarat for atleast couple of years, make sense to go for a used car with GJ registration and before he plans to come back he can sell it off and buy a new one in Gurgaon. The only drawback I see is the prices of his choice of car two years down the line.

If the above is not going to be the case, better to buy it in Gurgaon and use it in Gujarat with right papers.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks