Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: VW Jetta 2.0L ComfortLine: Toffee Brown or Leaf Silver, what would be your choice???
Toffee Brown 12 60.00%
Leaf Silver 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2012, 16:51   #1
BHPian

VW New Jetta (MT) - Toffee Brown or Leaf Silver??? Update: It's Moonrock Silver!

Folks, I am posting this on behalf of my friend. He is another big-time followrd of TeamBHP but not a member yet.

Just to give you all a background:
He lives in a big joint family with his parents and married brother. His 2 married sisters often visit them too and below are the cars (excluding heavy vehicles and 2-wheelers) in their stable:

1. Maruti Omni - Golden color (this was their first car, must be bought around 1998)
2. Toyota Innova - Grayish silver (2008)
3. Fluidic Verna - White (2012)
4. Maruti Zen - light blue (owned by his elder Brother-in-law)
5. Swift DZire - White (2010 - oowned by his younger Brother-in-law)

Now he is getting married in October this year and for this, he has booked a New Jetta 2.0L CR TDI (MT) at Ramani VW, Salem. We are now confused between the 2 colors "Toffee Brown" and "Leaf Silver".

In our opinion:

Toffee brown looks Lavish & elegant, but not so when it becomes dusty. Nevertheless, this is a "Special" color that not many cars in this segment has and would have this "individuality" on roads.

On the other hand, Leaf Silver looks formal & professional, and not so bad even when it is dusty. Unlike the brown, this would be just another color available plenty on roads. The "Feel Special" factor seems missing here.

Surprisingly, VW India website doesn't have pictures demonstrating these colors and our only reliable photo-source available today is TeamBHP

Brown:
2011-volkswagen-jetta-highline

and

less-more-vw-jetta-highline-mt

Silver:
meine-m-dchen-2011-new-jetta-comfortline-mt

The Dealer Ramani VW in Salem is unable to show these 2 colors in "Flesh" and hence my friend will be travelling to Coimbatore or Bangalore to take a look.

Additionally, we would like to have all your expert-opinions on which color would best suit his story. He will have to finalise this soon and your comments will definitely help him conclude the best choice.

Thank you all in advance folks!
Old 30th June 2012, 17:06   #2
MAS
Senior - BHPian

re: VW New Jetta (MT) - Toffee Brown or Leaf Silver??? Update: It's Moonrock Silver!

I would advice him to go for the Silver.

- Easily looks much better (looks and feels more classy)
- Easiest colour to maintain
- Does not show as much dirt as the Brown colour will
- Small Scratches and swirl marks are not as visible
- Car will be more visible on Highways and during rains
- Easier to sell
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 17:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW New Jetta (MT) - Toffee Brown or Leaf Silver??? Update: It's Moonrock Silver!

Although colour is something that depends upon your personal taste but If I was in his shoes then would have gone for a white. The New jetta to me looks best in white which specially enhances its A4ish back. If not white then the Silver. I somehow do not like the toffee brown shade on the new jetta. It eats into its looks rather then complementing it.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 17:44   #4
BHPian

Take it from a person who owns a Leaf Silver. This shade gobbles up any scratches, dirt, dents you throw at it. My new Jetta was scratched by some imbecile a few months ago with keys but unless you closely examine the car, you can't notice them.

I agree with drmohit here. The toffee brown here eats away the look of the car than enhancing it with contrast. IMHO, the new Jetta looks classy in 1.white 2.leaf silver 3.black.

This is however a subjective opinion.

Edit : just noticed you linked my thread to the post. . Thx!

Last edited by lamboguy : 30th June 2012 at 17:46.
lamboguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 18:37   #5
BHPian

Thanks for a really quick feedback friends. TeamBHP rocks!!

Surprisingly, 3 out of total 5 votes on Poll as of now are for Brown but no comments for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I would advice him to go for the Silver.

- Easily looks much better (looks and feels more classy)
- Easiest colour to maintain
- Does not show as much dirt as the Brown colour will
- Small Scratches and swirl marks are not as visible
- Car will be more visible on Highways and during rains
- Easier to sell
@ MAS, very well said with valid points. Nevertheless, "Easier to Sell" doesnot apply to them as you might have noticed, they are still holding their 1998 Omni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Although colour is something that depends upon your personal taste but If I was in his shoes then would have gone for a white. ..... If not white then the Silver. I somehow do not like the toffee brown shade on the new jetta. It eats into its looks rather then complementing it.
@ Dr. Mohit, White is really nice for the Jetta. Since they already have the latest Verna and their Brother-in-law's DZire in white, white was ruled out for the Jetta. And, on the first look, we too were not impressed with the brown. But after repeated viewing on the Brown pictures from our fellow members, we slowly started liking it. Now, it has really become a strong contender for the Leaf Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Take it from a person who owns a Leaf Silver. This shade gobbles up any scratches, dirt, dents you throw at it.
Edit : just noticed you linked my thread to the post. Thx!
@ Lamboguy, your Silver Maedchen's pictures are really nice, we were able to get a good overview & comparision with them. And, we have made quite some discussions based on your thread, we are thankful to you too
Old 30th June 2012, 19:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

Please check with your dealer again. I remember reading in another thread that the Silver Leaf shade is now discontinued, and they have something new by the name Moonrock Silver.
Old 30th June 2012, 20:36   #7
BHPian

My vote goes to white.
1. Perfect looks from all angles
2. Minor scratches go unnoticed
3. Reflects your personality [if kept clean, offcourse ]
Old 30th June 2012, 21:50   #8
BHPian

My vote goes for the silver.

The newly married man should not spend his time dusting his car.
On a serious note, silver in whatever shade is easier to maintain and the scratches which would be quite noticed in a dark color car remains camouflaged in a silver ( i have a dark grey one).
However, if there is someone specifically assigned to look after the cars(considering the number of cars in the stable) ,Toffee brown would be the choice.
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 22:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Please check with your dealer again. I remember reading in another thread that the Silver Leaf shade is now discontinued, and they have something new by the name Moonrock Silver.
vb-san, thanks for the hint. I too have read this in the Silver Maedchen Jetta thread. Have asked my friend to check this point with the dealer. Will post as soon as a response is received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta View Post
My vote goes to white.
1. Perfect looks from all angles
2. Minor scratches go unnoticed
3. Reflects your personality [if kept clean, offcourse]
@ Fiesta, yes - White suits well for the Jetta. but as I quoted before, they already have 2 white horses on their stable, they are not interested for another white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saion666 View Post
My vote goes for the silver.

The newly married man should not spend his time dusting his car.
However, if there is someone specifically assigned to look after the cars(considering the number of cars in the stable) ,Toffee brown would be the choice.
"The newly married man should not spend his time dusting his car" very valid point Saion666, had a sound laughter. Though they are into a family business with many workers under them, with today's labour demand there is no dedicated person to take care of their cars. My friend / his brother (another recently married man) washes their cars in turns - say once a month. Brown indeed may result in additional toil for these gentlemen. Hope my friend is reading this point now

Edit: By the way saion66, I just noted that you have voted for Brown on the poll whereas you have quoted that you vote for Silver??? Changed mind in a really shor span is it?

Last edited by Mister_M : 30th June 2012 at 22:56. Reason: A short update to Saion666
Old 30th June 2012, 23:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post

Edit: By the way saion66, I just noted that you have voted for Brown on the poll whereas you have quoted that you vote for Silver??? Changed mind in a really shor span is it?
Heart says brown, head says silver. Went with the heart while voting. Just thought over it after voting and posted for silver. Classic case why exit polls go all wrong. My apologies.
Old 30th June 2012, 23:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
vb-san, thanks for the hint. I too have read this in the Silver Maedchen Jetta thread. Have asked my friend to check this point with the dealer. Will post as soon as a response is received.
@ vb-san, you are right! No more Leaf Silver, they have renamed it as MoonRock Silver (almost the same shades though). - As confirmed by my friend after discussion with the dealer Ramani VW @ Salem.
Old 1st July 2012, 01:29   #12
BHPian

Even I was in the same fix. But my dilemma was between white/grey and toffee brown was way out of the picture. I saw one on the road and went ahead with toffee brown. Its a difficult choice but white is a safer option, although I have no regrets booking a toffee brown and am eagerly awaiting it!

My vote: Toffee brown ( classy/elegant but difficult to maintain compared to white)

Best of luck!
Old 1st July 2012, 04:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Toffee Brown has a lot of appeal.

However, it is very tough to maintain in a pristine condition, especially in our Indian context where key and other sharp instrument wielding godless infidels abound.

Leaf Silver or Moon Silver look equally classy and have the added advantage of not showing up dirt, dust, scratches and what have you.

Here in our home country, it is better not to attract unnecessary attention to one's self through the choice of colour of one's hard earned, much loved car. Too much jealousy and spite all over the place these days.

These are some of the reasons why I preferred Brilliant Silver over Mato Brown when I was buying the LittleBigFoot..

If however, one has a permanent chauffeur who lurks within easy reach of the vehicle at all times, then there is no problem at all.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st July 2012 at 04:47.
Old 1st July 2012, 09:22   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M

@ vb-san, you are right! No more Leaf Silver, they have renamed it as MoonRock Silver (almost the same shades though). - As confirmed by my friend after discussion with the dealer Ramani VW @ Salem.
Infact my recommendation will be to go with the Reflex Silver. The MoonRock may look a bit more exclusive and nicer (for that matter, even the Toffee Brown), but in the long run the regular silver shade maybe easier to source if any minor touch-ups are required. The Jetta anyway looks pretty in all the 3 colours
Old 1st July 2012, 10:54   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Choosing a car is something very specific to an individual and choosing its colour even more so. Really don't see the point of starting a thread for this. In any case, this thread has garnered some good responses, so am sure your friend has some good insights to help him out in his choice.

Mod Note: Thread Closed.
noopster is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks