Team-BHP - Renault Scala vs Nissan Sunny : Choosing between the siblings
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Sedans (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/)
-   -   Renault Scala vs Nissan Sunny : Choosing between the siblings (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans/126179-renault-scala-vs-nissan-sunny-choosing-between-siblings.html)

Now its official with the launch of the Renault Scala and the big question is which one is it between the siblings separated at birth - Scala or Sunny.

The problem statement arising out of the buying dilemma of my friend who is in the process of upgrading their stable of cars by moving out the older two - Vista and a Indigo and adding two new diesel sedans around the 10-12 lakh range. One of them has already joined the fleet in the name of VW Vento TDi earlier this year.

After testing other diesel (due to high city - highway runs) sedans such as Linea, Verna, SX4 and the Sunny, the choice finally went to the big and spacious Sunny (Manza, Rapid were out of the race due to current read Vento and past ownerships), till the news about its identical twin Scala launch was announced. Also my friend lives in Hospet, Karnataka if that helps in any aspect.

Now with the pricing out in the open the big question is which one to go for-

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameerg001

Sunny XL - 798,000 Scala RxL Diesel - 8,69,000/-

Sunny XV - 878,000 Scala RxZ Diesel - 9,57,000/-
Already we have comments from the experts in the Official Scala thread and also Sunny review for comparison-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2895738
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html

A quick sight at the steads before you cast your vote and comment -

I much prefer the Scala's design over the quirky Sunny, but wish it was cheaper for what it offers. As I posted in the Scala review thread:

I'm not impressed with Renault's pricing strategy. Those looking at a workhorse (as I did) would buy the diesel mid-variant. The Scala mid-variant is 60K more expensive than the Sunny XL onroad. I'd rather buy a Sunny top-end XV with better alloys, pure keyless entry, engine start / stop button, foglamps etc. for another 20K.

The top-variant Scala diesel only gets leather (over the Sunny), but asks 70K on the road for it. The difference in petrol is alarming. It's 1.10 lakhs OTR for the base, and close to 90K for the mid.

I'd have accepted a price difference of 40K, but this is too much for what is the SAME CAR!

The VW Vento Highline costs only 30K more than the top-end Scala! Not to forget, the Skoda Rapid is cheaper than the Renault. The Scala is down on horsepower, torque, driving pleasure, handling, BRAKES and interior quality. Seriously, between the Scala & Vento at nearly the same price, it's a no brainer (VW's & Skoda's suspect reliability aside).

Renault Scala vs Nissan Sunny : Choosing between the siblings-renault-scala-prices.png

Well I vote for the Nissan Sunny XV. The sunny makes much more sense at both the price points. If you are running short of cash then go for the Sunny XLD. Its fairly well kitted and doesn't compromise on safety and comfort features. The only 2 things you would miss are: Alloys ( can be bought outside) and electrically foldable ORVMs. Again if you have the cash and considering the Scala RxL then better to get the Nissan XVD which is loaded to the brim with features and makes a much better buy. And as GTO pointed out already it doesn't make sense to go for the Scala RxZ as it comes seriously close to the likes of the Vento and Verna.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
I much prefer the Scala's design over the quirky Sunny, but wish it was cheaper for what it offers. As I posted in the Scala review thread:

I'm not impressed with Renault's pricing strategy. Those looking at a workhorse (as I did) would buy the diesel mid-variant. The Scala mid-variant is 60K more expensive than the Sunny XL onroad. I'd rather buy a Sunny top-end XV with better alloys, pure keyless entry, engine start / stop button, foglamps etc. for another 20K.

The top-variant Scala diesel only gets leather (over the Sunny), but asks 70K on the road for it. The difference in petrol is alarming. It's 1.10 lakhs OTR for the base, and close to 90K for the mid.

I'd have accepted a price difference of 40K, but this is too much for what is the SAME CAR!

The VW Vento Highline costs only 30K more than the top-end Scala! Not to forget, the Skoda Rapid is cheaper than the Renault. The Scala is down on horsepower, torque, driving pleasure, handling, BRAKES and interior quality. Seriously, between the Scala & Vento at nearly the same price, it's a no brainer (VW's & Skoda's suspect reliability aside).

I don't think it's fair to compare Rapid/Vento to Scala/Sunny. The target audience is totally different. Scala/Sunny are peerless if you are primarily chauffeur driven due to S-Class beating rear leg room.

My pick would be Sunny for sure. To be honest, I am not at all impressed with Renault pricing strategy.

I agree, Scala looks better then sunny from some angles, But premium of 70-80k just for looks is not acceptable.

Ask your friend, Whether he is willing to pay nearbout a lakh premium, just for the looks or not. You get everything in sunny, which scala offers, that too at lesser price.

My suggestion- Sunny, Scala is OVER priced IMO.

Cheers,
Sameer

Scala isnot going to win hearts with its slightly modified looks and just like the Sunny, I would consider the styling more functional than appealing. Renault's pricing is utter disaster IMO. More so when you compare it with Sunny than anything else. I think they are too carried away by the success of Duster and it shows.

It will unwise opt for Scala over Sunny.

Why cant the scala's headlight and bumpers swapped to Sunny. The top portion of the headlight design is identical in both .Only bottom part in scala is bit wider,so it might be possible and this will not be a 50k job.

As expected, a screwed up pricing! Can't really blame them since they have been sticking on to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullboy (Post 2896679)
Why cant the scala's headlight and bumpers swapped to Sunny. The top portion of the headlight design is identical in both .Only bottom part in scala is bit wider,so it might be possible and this will not be a 50k job.

It probably will require re-work on the metal sheets to get this done. By doing that you will be voiding the warranty on the car. It's not wise to do this on a brand new car [don't think it's wise otherwise too]. I would rather spend that extra cash over the fabrication job and pick up a Scala if I want the looks! So you have a car that you love the looks of and also all the safety & the warranty stuffs intact.

I dont think it require a bonnet or fender work atleast by looking at the pics.May be some bracket or holder changes .Those who get bored by sunny looks aftr 2-3 years can give it a try provided it is economical and one can source required spares.

Visited Ranault and Nissan showroom back to back today afternoon. Atleast in Hyd, pricing of Scala RXL (D) is placed exactly between Sunny XL(D) and XV (D)

Sunny XL on the road price - 9,77,346
Sunny XV - 10,72,974
Scala RXL - 10,20,000
Scala RXZ - 11,32,000

Nissan is offering discount of 6500 on both the models. Extended warranty (7200) is not included in OTR price. Renault's extended warranty is included in the price.

I am impressed with the pricing of RXL. I & my wife like Nissan's front grill more. Renault's version is strictly business but Nissan's vesion is more cooler. But rear of Renault is too good. My wife felt seats in Renault are more comfort, but I guess that is due to the leather upholstery. Biggest let down for us is the Scal RXL doesn't come with chrome trim in the front grill. I believe without that chrome trim, the front will loose the grace. The dealer did not have RXL version for display or not even a picture. we are left to our imagination for now.

Until I have a look at RXL, my decision is in favour of Sunny XV. Renault sales team is not keen on selling their cars. They show no concern to the people walking in to the dealership. At Nissan it is the opposite. The sales person I am dealing with at Lakshmi Nissan is very knowledgable about the car and is keen on making a sale to me.

Other than the badge in front and slightly better looks, I don't see any reason for one to opt for a Scala over a Sunny. Mechanically and electronically, they are more or less the same.

And, as GTO's chart amply demonstrates, for the same money, you get the top-end Sunny Petrol over the mid-variant of the Scala Petrol.

And the OTR difference between the top-end diesel variants of both cars is mind-boggling - Sunny @ ~9.65L OTR, and Scala @ 10.50L OTR!!

Add leather seats to the Sunny XV at 25K, and you have your "Scala" below the 1-million rupee budget, with the Nissan badge.

Go for the Sunny, unless you want to flaunt the Renault badge and are impressed by the Scala's exteriors. Other than those, the Scala offers nothing else over the Sunny, besides a few customisable features. Sunny XL offers the best bang for the buck, if you are looking for a family workhorse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2896296)

Quote:

Originally Posted by drmohitg (Post 2896298)
Well I vote for the Nissan Sunny XV. The sunny makes much more sense at both the price points. If you are running short of cash then go for the Sunny XLD. Its fairly well kitted and doesn't compromise on safety and comfort features. The only 2 things you would miss are: Alloys ( can be bought outside) and electrically foldable ORVMs. Again if you have the cash and considering the Scala RxL then better to get the Nissan XVD which is loaded to the brim with features and makes a much better buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameerg001 (Post 2896438)
My pick would be Sunny for sure. To be honest, I am not at all impressed with Renault pricing strategy.

I agree, Scala looks better then sunny from some angles, But premium of 70-80k just for looks is not acceptable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbokick (Post 2896496)
Renault's pricing is utter disaster IMO. More so when you compare it with Sunny than anything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftnfurious (Post 2896870)
As expected, a screwed up pricing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenAvi (Post 2897029)
Other than the badge in front and slightly better looks, I don't see any reason for one to opt for a Scala over a Sunny. Mechanically and electronically, they are more or less the same.

Add leather seats to the Sunny XV at 25K, and you have your "Scala" below the 1-million rupee budget, with the Nissan badge.

I think the poll as well as the general response clearly shows that the Scala is badly priced.

I completely agree with general consensus articulated well in GTO's post.

Speaking of the diesel options

If you want a well enough equipped car at the most sensible price the Sunny XL makes the most sense. For those opting for Scala's mid level car, the Sunny XV for a little more makes much more sense. For those considering the Scala top end, you can easily add the best quality leather seats with custom color choise to the Sunny XV for a lot less than what the Scala asks for. Not to mention that at Scala top end price point, buyers can also spend almost the same money and choose Rapid / Vento / even Verna.

Badge engineering 101

Personally I'm not a big fan of Renault - Nissan approach to product sharing with different badges, whether on Sunny / Scala or Micra / Pulse. There is really very little brand identity or differentiation (barring the front end and slight rear end treatment) and the approach is so minimalist that IMO it becomes very difficult to differentiate shared products and therefore also justify large price differences.

The way Skoda VW manage this is much better. Even though they have identical underpinnings, each have their own individuality that furthers their respective brand identity. Sit inside a Rapid and you just know you are in a Skoda without relying on the logos. Same with the Vento, you know you are in a VW. Even the boot space / rear leg room combo is a little different, suspension setup altered noticeably. If you are in the market for one of these you are compelled to consider each in its own right a little more.

The way Renault / Nissan have managed this I simply can't imagine how they'll manage to justify the premium for the "virtually identical" Scala over the Sunny. Its not like they enjoy any additional goodwill over the other brand either.

I suppose once figures stabilise past the initial euphoria, it will be interesting to observe the relative market share that these two products settle at.

Cheers

The sunny diesel xl is the most value for money. It's not worth spending an additional 70k on the scala knowing very well that the only difference between the two cars is different bumpers and lights and probably a few more features. When you are ready to spend over ten lakhs then the rapid, vento, new fiesta or sx4 would make way more sense as they feel a segment higher though the sunny/scala has loads of space.

A person would buy either of the cars just for the space and for traveling from Point A to Point B. And not for enthusiastic driving.

So if I want a car just for the space and reliability, then I would choose the Sunny. Because :
1) It looks bad but the looks grow on you after sometime. And it looks decent in grey and blue.
2) 70k cheaper.
3) Nissan's a.s.s might be a bit better than Renault. The cost of servicing would similar though.
4)No significant features in the Scala over the Sunny, except the looks. They should have improved the brakes and given different interiors.

If I wanted to spend 10 lac on a diesel sedan, I would rather choose the Rapid or Vento because they feel more better and expensive than the Scala and yes, they are more fun to drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 (Post 2896378)
I don't think it's fair to compare Rapid/Vento to Scala/Sunny. The target audience is totally different. Scala/Sunny are peerless if you are primarily chauffeur driven due to S-Class beating rear leg room.

Agreed.

But don't forget. When people are in the market for a sedan that's around 10 lakhs, the Rapid, the Sunny, the Vento and the Scala will come up in the discussion because they fall in the same price-bracket. And that alone is enough for them to be compared. :)